High School New Cheer Music Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 15, 2016
Does anyone know if the new rule for music applies to all competitions or just Varsity ones? My squad does Jamz competitions and I can't find the high school rules for 2016-2107.

Does anyone know if the mixes purchased from legitmix.com would be usuable under these new rule enforcements?

Does anyone know if the mixes purchased from legitmix.com would be usuable under these new rule enforcements?
I pulled this excerpt from the USA Cheer website

Below you will find the most current list of preferred music providers. At this time no other vendors have been approved. This list will be updated as new providers are identified.

We and our member organizations receive many inquiries about whether mixes purchased from a company known as "Legitmix" comply with the USA Cheer Music Guidelines. To be sure, music purchased from Legitmix does not comply with USA Cheer Music Guidelines. Presenting proof of purchase from Legitmix will not satisfy the USA Cheer Music Guidelines. Purchases made from a preferred provider of music that include any portion of a Legitmix product will not comply with USA Cheer Music Guidelines nor will music for which permission has not been secured from the owner of all the recordings and all the publishers.

Basically, the use of any popular or third party recordings without licenses from the owners of the recordings and the owners of all the publishing rights, regardless of who sells that music, is prohibited.

It's important to remember that USA Cheer is not an official governing body for cheer. It's a subsidiary of Varsity and these rules changes have nothing to do with any change it law.

If you are going to use popular music (even covers) in your routine you need to ensure that the event or venue has paid the proper PRO (performance rights organization) fees.

PRO organizations grant blanket licenses to events and venues for the public playback of music. These are the same licenses a school dance, local fitness club, or an NFL stadium would pay to use music. If these fees are paid you can use popular music at your event.

If your event does not intend to pay these PRO fees you'll have to choose a vendor who creates original music strictly for cheerleading and can grant you these performance rights directly.

Last edited:
It's important to remember that USA Cheer is not an official governing body for cheer. It's a subsidiary of Varsity and these rules changes have nothing to do with any change it law.

If you are going to use popular music (even covers) in your routine you need to ensure that the event or venue has paid the proper PRO (performance rights organization) fees.

PRO organizations grant blanket licenses to events and venues for the public playback of music. These are the same licenses a school dance, local fitness club, or an NFL stadium would pay to use music. If these fees are paid you can use popular music at your event.

If your event does not intend to pay these PRO fees you'll have to choose a vendor who creates original music strictly for cheerleading and can grant you these performance rights directly.

It is under my understanding that PRO blanket licenses don't cover if the songs are edited in any fashion.

It is under my understanding that PRO blanket licenses don't cover if the songs are edited in any fashion.

My understanding is that they are 2 completely different things.

The PRO license has always been a thing. You have always needed a PRO license to play music in a public forum. All star gyms, dance schools, bars and events like competitions have always needed a PRO license.

The current USA Music brouhaha is a different issue. Basically, the record companies are saying that you can't edit our music without our permission. They own it, they call the shots. And they may have always felt like that, but recently they've gone after music mixers, so USA Music is trying to make sure that we aren't stepping all over the music companies' toes. So to ensure that we aren't pissing them off, they are saying you either need to use original music, covers that are licensed properly, or get permission to edit the music.

Then why would they not go after night clubs or fitness studios who play mixes of popular songs all the time? They are a much bigger industry than cheer. Most of the PROs have never expressed an opinion of the playback of mixes.
If PROs didn't allow the playback of mixes then the use of covers that varsity/USA cheer is advocating would also be suspect, since the publisher doesn't care who sings the song, only about the melody/lyrics.

They do go after night clubs, bar restaurants, etc. I know someone who got fined for playing a CD in his bar/restaurant.

If PROs didn't allow the playback of mixes then the use of covers that varsity/USA cheer is advocating would also be suspect, since the publisher doesn't care who sings the song, only about the melody/lyrics.

It isn't the playback of mixes that is the issue, it's the CREATION of those mixes. My understanding is that Power Music and UnleashtheBeats (the 2 companies who have legal covers) have licenses with the record companies to do what they do. It says right on Power Music's about page, "Our licensees include Universal, Ministry of Sound, NBC Universal, Lions Gate, Avex Group, Shine / Reveille, Somerset Entertainment." The trick here is that they aren't just some guys in a studio randomly picking songs and covering them. They have permission to do what they are doing.

Then why would they not go after night clubs or fitness studios who play mixes of popular songs all the time? They are a much bigger industry than cheer.

I honestly don't know, and I have read legitmix's opinion on the matter and see their point. I wasn't in on the meeting with USA Cheer and the lawyers. All I know is what I was told at 2 different coach's training - and that is the record companies (and presumably the artists) were not happy that editors were buying their music, mixing and mashing it up, and re-selling it to cheer teams.

As others have pointed out, you have two different issues, one is dealing with paying the composers,,this is done through PROs (ASCAP, BMI & SESAC), those rules have been around for a long, long time.

The other issue is dealing with the owner of the actual musical PERFORMANCE, normally the record company. If you buy a song that is 'commercial music" (like what you would hear on the radio) you are only buying the right to listen to that music personally, you can't put it in a video, do a performance with it or alter it.

The fines are up to $150,000 per infraction,,so you could hit a million dollars in fines in no time,,and this is the law, it stems from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act approved in 1998. The record company are going after more types of performances every year,,last year obviously cheer was one.

You can use covers or original music, but you have to be able to show it is licensed, and licensed from a USA Cheer approved vendor (we are one of many). There are many companies that will give you a 'ready to go' mix,,we sell music and you mix it yourself, but it will save you some money (music is $15 each unless you a playlist or 'jam kit').

If we can help you with any music needs please check out Home - Cheer Jam Music

andy

Back