New Flyer Stretches

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NewCheerMom

Cheer Parent
Mar 22, 2011
My daughter is interested in possibly flying. She has been a cheerleader for 3 years and has only been a base.

What are some stretches she can do to increase her flexibility? She has been in dance for 7 years and is somewhat flexible.

She is hoping to do some stretches at home, so that when she tries out in the fall she will be better prepared.

Any advice is great appreciated too

Remember stretching is only half of the equation when it comes to flying. You can be the most flexible person in the world, but without the muscular strength to actively move through each body position, while remaining stable, flexibility wouldn't do you a bit of good.

I suggest using resistance bands/tubing to do exercises to strengthen the muscles of the leg, and doing stability exercises to help strengthen the muscles of the core, in addition to stretching multiple times per day, at a frequency of 3-5 days per week. Using a foam/massage roller to loosen up any tightness or knots in muscles (trigger points) before stretching allows the muscles to get to their optimal length, and will help you see improvements in flexibility quicker.

Most importantly, remember that you should stretch until you reach your comfort limit, hold that stretch for 15-20 seconds, then try to stretch a little deeper. Repeat this 3-5 times. DO NOT stretch too much, too quickly. Stretchto the point of discomfort, NEVER to the point of pain! Pain will cause your muscles to tense up unconsciously, as a protective reflex, which could cause small muscle fiber tears, which would set you back in flexibility.

I personally have worked along side Gabi Butler (and her family) at a stunting/stretching clinic, and can vouch for what I have seen of her flexibility/conditioning routine! I was very impressed by how much she knew, for such a young girl!

Anyways, I hope this helps. Best of luck with flying!
-Matt Faherty

Err, best of luck to your daughter flying! haha... Well i suppose best of luck you you too! Point flyer on the parent team? :shimmy:

Thank you everyone for the comments. My daughter has been looking at the videos. Also she talked with a few flyers who suggested the flex bands. Thanks Matt for the great advice. She is working on stretching and will work to build her strength.

Now for her to get over the fear of heights! ;)

...and Matt, Ima gonna base

Remember stretching is only half of the equation when it comes to flying. You can be the most flexible person in the world, but without the muscular strength to actively move through each body position, while remaining stable, flexibility wouldn't do you a bit of good.

I suggest using resistance bands/tubing to do exercises to strengthen the muscles of the leg, and doing stability exercises to help strengthen the muscles of the core, in addition to stretching multiple times per day, at a frequency of 3-5 days per week. Using a foam/massage roller to loosen up any tightness or knots in muscles (trigger points) before stretching allows the muscles to get to their optimal length, and will help you see improvements in flexibility quicker.

Most importantly, remember that you should stretch until you reach your comfort limit, hold that stretch for 15-20 seconds, then try to stretch a little deeper. Repeat this 3-5 times. DO NOT stretch too much, too quickly. Stretchto the point of discomfort, NEVER to the point of pain! Pain will cause your muscles to tense up unconsciously, as a protective reflex, which could cause small muscle fiber tears, which would set you back in flexibility.

I personally have worked along side Gabi Butler (and her family) at a stunting/stretching clinic, and can vouch for what I have seen of her flexibility/conditioning routine! I was very impressed by how much she knew, for such a young girl!

-Matt Faherty

I love everything about this! My cp did the ab shredder video from the p90x video religiously for about 2 months. It improved her flying leaps and bounds more than stretching alone!

-Matt Faherty

Thank you so much for the great advice!

I don't really know where to put this, so I am hoping to get some advice from the great people that responded to me about strength and stretching.

So my daughter has been flying, a little. The routine is really being worked on now, and I can see the stress of flying is getting to her. She really wants to do well, but doesn't feel like she is. The coach asked me to sign her up for a private with her base, because my daughter isn't getting the counts. She has been working at home, but I am not familiar with the counts or the routine at this point. I have asked at the private tomorrow to video it, so I can help my daughter out. My daughter struggles with memory, and has a slight learning disability.

Tonight she cried, telling me that she doesn't want to fly. I want her to keep practicing. I told her to give it a couple weeks and if she still was uncomfortable to talk with the coach. I don't know if that was the right thing to tell her. I mean, is it better to tell her coach at practice on Sunday that she doesn't want to do it, or to wait it out and see if she gets it. I Think she will get it, she just needs practice. I can't convince her that.

Any thoughts?

@NewCheerMom - i guess you have to trust the Coaches. If they think she can do it, i'm sure she can. You said she doesn't want to fly - do you think it's more the pressure or is she uncomfortable with the position in general? Because if you do some privates and she will get better probably she'll get a taste of how good it feels to work through struggles.
It can be hard for a new flyer to be focused on the skills she needs to do and on the counts and getting used to the new position.
Mastering the skills step by step could give her the trust that she can do it.
Did you talk to the coaches about it? What do they think?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back