OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
random, but I thought this was funny and had to share.
tumblr_n0pjw19e5j1rnwku1o1_500.jpg

Does anyone on the board know Latin?

I'm making a poster for my school's student art show and I need to put "Art Student" in latin on it. I've tried all the online translators but every translator gives me a different phrase. Anyone who can help? I really want this to be accurate. Thanks in advanced! :)

I'm making a poster for my school's student art show and I need to put "Art Student" in latin on it. I've tried all the online translators but every translator gives me a different phrase. Anyone who can help? I really want this to be accurate. Thanks in advanced! :)

I don't remember much from my Latin classes but I would have said say "arte discipulo" (I tested it on translators and it seems to fit). I'm not 100% sure, especially the word endings (declensions are very blurry in my brain after so many years). Hope this helps though !

I'm really proud of my mom, she took notes on how our competitors did today!
Also we finally hit our pyramid at comp :cloud9:
Bad news is I did something to my elbow today. I broke both of my elbows in 6th grade and have screws in them.... I must've done something weird during standing tumbling bc I can't straighten it and I'm in so much pain :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

oh no! feel better!

It's part of my degree :/ So the word for student doesn't expressly say that you can change the gender (because the Romans were pretty anti-women). The word is discipulus, which is the masculine ending, but (assuming you're female), I would use discipula.
Art is tricky because the Latin word has connotations of skill, rather than drawing etc. But I don't think you're going to find a better word, so it's ars in the genitive, which is artis (you could also use artificis, but it's more to do with skilled builders). Also you can put the words whichever way round you like!

Sorry for the long explanation, thought it might help you realise where the other translations were going slightly wrong/right!

Short answer: discipula artis

Going in about booking a holiday to orlando later.. :D:D:D pray its cheap or else il have to starve myself and deprive myself of basic necessities or rob a bank..

It's part of my degree :/ So the word for student doesn't expressly say that you can change the gender (because the Romans were pretty anti-women). The word is discipulus, which is the masculine ending, but (assuming you're female), I would use discipula.
Art is tricky because the Latin word has connotations of skill, rather than drawing etc. But I don't think you're going to find a better word, so it's ars in the genitive, which is artis (you could also use artificis, but it's more to do with skilled builders). Also you can put the words whichever way round you like!

Sorry for the long explanation, thought it might help you realise where the other translations were going slightly wrong/right!

Short answer: discipula artis

I don't remember much from my Latin classes but I would have said say "arte discipulo" (I tested it on translators and it seems to fit). I'm not 100% sure, especially the word endings (declensions are very blurry in my brain after so many years). Hope this helps though !

Ahh, thanks guys, I knew I could count on FierceBoard!! I originally had discipulus art, so I was close! Thanks again! :)

Reactions: Ren
I FINALLY FINISHED MY IMPOSSIBLE YEARBOOK SPREAD:cheering: Who knew yearbook would be my most stressful class?

Now I should probably start on this essay that has to be submitted by 12....:banghead:

So I have a meeting tomorrow with my coach about media ways to get our program (college team) out to more people and schools. I plan on talking about updating our website since it hasn't been updated since like 2011 (yikes) and making sure there is tryout information and stuff on there, doing more frequent posts on our Facebook page (one of our assistant coaches runs it and right now the only thing that really happens on it is the occasional bulk upload of pictures, more twitter updates and like a legit twitter presence (two of my teammates made the twitter--without knowledge of my coach I believe-- and they haven't posted anything since September). Anyone have any suggestion about media ways our team info out there more to prospective cheerleaders?

I FINALLY FINISHED MY IMPOSSIBLE YEARBOOK SPREAD:cheering: Who knew yearbook would be my most stressful class?

Now I should probably start on this essay that has to be submitted by 12....:banghead:
I could've told you that! ;) last year our dance team coach told them not to talk to journalism kids. So needless to say, getting quotes for captions/stories was pretty difficult. This year it's wrestling that won't talk.

I could've told you that! ;) last year our dance team coach told them not to talk to journalism kids. So needless to say, getting quotes for captions/stories was pretty difficult. This year it's wrestling that won't talk.
My spread this time around was "birthdays" I ended up doing a calendar with holidays and then all the kids that had a birthday on that holiday, there were about 60 kids I had to get a headshot of (in a week) and I was fully convinced 3/4 of them didn't exist... most of them were kids that hadn't taken a yearbook picture or nobody has ever heard of and it was SO difficult. it looks really awesome though and I think it's my best spread yet. (which is saying a lot because my teacher loved my homecoming spread) but literally you have these kids that refuse to take pictures... so since I'm on good terms with my academy's principal I made him come over to get them with me when they refused :p

Back