High School New Program Structure Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

YES.

I had a girl make my team who came up from JV as a flyer. Super tiny (think still 6th grader level tiny in 10th grade.) She was great at the caliber of stunt that JV did (think all star level 2, no extended stunts usually as the group is a little less experienced.)

So she learns to lib/full down for tryouts. Does well. Mind you, she had some of the most experienced bases on the team,

Fast forward to the next level of stunts (full ups/1.5 ups/etc.) and she is failing miserably. Bailing. Not staying core tight. Etc.

I let her know she was going to transition to basing this year. Cue tears. Cue EVEN MORE TEARS when I reconfigured stunt groups with someone *gasp* not as tiny as she was. Her parent actually told me that her daughter was 75 pounds and could not base.

Fast forward two years, she has grown a little and is a beast base but she was my number one example of every teeny tiny not being meant for flying.

Yep.

Even in the home camps!

My friends have had staffers come into their schools for UCA home camps who were formerly cheerleaders from "big deal" teams. Happens all the time.

The staffers actually don't make as big of a deal of it as you'd think.

Exactly.

I've worked several dual traditional/speed camps and the staffers (famous or not) all acted like normal human beings, because they are normal human beings.

Every staffer I ever worked with that was "famous" didn't play it up. They're adults and they're on a business trip (essentially). They're not trying to sign autographs or sell scented bows. They're highly trained and more than qualified to teach elite skills to your high school teams, and that goes for all three branches (UCA, traditional NCA, and Speed NCA).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES.

I had a girl make my team who came up from JV as a flyer. Super tiny (think still 6th grader level tiny in 10th grade.) She was great at the caliber of stunt that JV did (think all star level 2, no extended stunts usually as the group is a little less experienced.)

So she learns to lib/full down for tryouts. Does well. Mind you, she had some of the most experienced bases on the team,

Fast forward to the next level of stunts (full ups/1.5 ups/etc.) and she is failing miserably. Bailing. Not staying core tight. Etc.

I let her know she was going to transition to basing this year. Cue tears. Cue EVEN MORE TEARS when I reconfigured stunt groups with someone *gasp* not as tiny as she was. Her parent actually told me that her daughter was 75 pounds and could not base.

Fast forward two years, she has grown a little and is a beast base but she was my number one example of every teeny tiny not being meant for flying.

Yep.

Even in the home camps!

My friends have had staffers come into their schools for UCA home camps who were formerly cheerleaders from "big deal" teams. Happens all the time.

The staffers actually don't make as big of a deal of it as you'd think.

Not the staffers making a big deal of it that bothers me. It's my kids being awe-struck and not in learning mode that I want to avoid. I view it the same way I do nationals. My kids go into nationals confident and then warm up next to team A. If I can't keep them from watching, they get wrapped up in the who and not the what.

Hey y'all
I didn't mean to imply that was the reason why we go to the camps, or their ONLY favorite thing is meeting people just because they've won worlds.

I mean it more like, these girls think what they do is so cool. They are the pro's to them. Its like meeting their favorite football player. They go to learn from the best of the best and they love all of the new stuff they ARE able to learn. Its only until the last day when its time for pictures and stuff that they find all of this info out.

My team has a lot of drive and passion, they WANT the skills but our demographic lacks the resources to give them these opportunities. There is a local all star gym, the gym is GREAT - but out of a lot of my girls price ranges.

Guided by the UCA Staff, squads will learn and demonstrate the
ROLES OF THE CHEERLEADER – Crowd Leaders, Spirit Raisers, Ambassadors, Athletes & Entertainers!
Squad Credentialing at a Varsity Spirit Summer Camp gives teams eligibility to qualify for the
UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship.

This is the quote from the UCA camp handbook. If they mean "go to a varsity camp" maybe NCA could count since it's under that umbrella.

Does this also count for V!Roc camps? We are thinking of doing one this year for competition.

Not the staffers making a big deal of it that bothers me. It's my kids being awe-struck and not in learning mode that I want to avoid. I view it the same way I do nationals. My kids go into nationals confident and then warm up next to team A. If I can't keep them from watching, they get wrapped up in the who and not the what.
I can't imagine how stressful that feels.

Does this also count for V!Roc camps? We are thinking of doing one this year for competition.
I would ask them I feel like the rule is saying you have to go to UCA camp before you can go to regionals/send a video in to qualify.

Hi y'all! NCA staffer here! We are offering NFHS credentialing at ALL camps, which is your golden ticket into NHSCC. This means that YES, you could do an NCA speed camp and be able to qualify to go to UCA nationals. The brand of the camp does not matter, only that you leave being NFHS credentialed.

You do not have to be NFHS credentialed to compete at NCA HS Nationals for 2017. You MUST be credentialed for UCA HS Nationals for 2017.

Hope that helped!

Hi y'all! NCA staffer here! We are offering NFHS credentialing at ALL camps, which is your golden ticket into NHSCC. This means that YES, you could do an NCA speed camp and be able to qualify to go to UCA nationals. The brand of the camp does not matter, only that you leave being NFHS credentialed.

You do not have to be NFHS credentialed to compete at NCA HS Nationals for 2017. You MUST be credentialed for UCA HS Nationals for 2017.

Hope that helped!
So camp is just doing NFHS credentialing in order to go to nationals? If our school requires yearly credentialing through NFHS anyways, does that mean we qualify for nationals without camp? Just curious. This is the first I've seen that it is NFHS credentialing and not some specialized UCA credentialing.

So camp is just doing NFHS credentialing in order to go to nationals? If our school requires yearly credentialing through NFHS anyways, does that mean we qualify for nationals without camp? Just curious. This is the first I've seen that it is NFHS credentialing and not some specialized UCA credentialing.

It is NFHS credentialing, but from what I'm seeing in Question 3 on their FAQs, it looks like they're requiring you get it at camp. http://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/UCA/FAQ_SquadCredentialing.pdf

So, I'm not sure what credentialing your HS gets through NFHS because I'm not familiar with it, this isn't reading as the same thing. And if you're talking about coach credentialing through NFHS, it's not the same thing because they are requiring 75% of the actual participants, not coaches, to complete it.

We are implementing the credentialing program to inform cheerleaders of the importance of their roles, while also practicing leadership skills and implementing safety. Teams will participate in multiple classes while at camp that pertain to the rules as a cheerleader leadership or safety. After completing a class, the teams have to check in with their instructor to be signed off on their knowledge and understanding of that class. Once all of the needed classes are completed, your buddy instructor will sign off that you have completed your coursework as a squad to become NFHS credentialed. This is to really emphasize safety and leadership to all participants at camp. I'm not sure if you would be able to be credentialed as a team outside of camp and going directly through NFHS, but my guess would be probably not.

Back