High School New Program Structure Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We are going to NCA speed camp and are going to start training some of the younger girls how to back spot -- we have an influx of bases lol

AND I am desperate for true flyers, especially for JV!!! I need flyers, and not just smaller girls then the rest... LOL

That's a loaded statement. People don't realize how much more there is to being an elite flyer than just suffering from "tiny-ism."

That's why all parents of small-in-stature girls think they should be flyers. All they see are little people who can be lifted. They don't recognize the amount of air awareness and body control necessary to do elite skills.

ETA: contrary to popular opinion in some circles. There is more to being tight than keeping your leg locked. Learning how to activate all of the muscles in your core (lower back and abdominal wall), is just as vital.

Last edited:
That's a loaded statement. People don't realize how much more there is to being an elite flyer than just suffering from "tiny-ism."

That's why all parents of small-in-stature girls think they should be flyers. All they see are little people who can be lifted. They don't recognize the amount of air awareness and body control necessary to do elite skills.

ETA: contrary to popular opinion in some circles. There is more to being tight than keeping your leg locked. Learning how to activate all of the muscles in your core (lower back and abdominal wall), is just as vital.

Unfortunately in my case, it has to be the "smaller" ones... b/c if not I would have a team of just bases :-( BOOOOOOOOO BUT if they were scary, we would try others :)

Unfortunately in my case, it has to be the "smaller" ones... b/c if not I would have a team of just bases :-( BOOOOOOOOO BUT if they were scary, we would try others :)

I can totally relate. Sometimes you get flyers who look like they're dodging bullets in the air. As long as they're dodging bullets with their leg straight, though, they think they're being tight (eye roll).

Edit....random

Last edited:
We are going to NCA speed camp and are going to start training some of the younger girls how to back spot -- we have an influx of bases lol
Ugh! Every season I tell myself "my team will go next year" and i always forget about it and plan something else :(!

What is NCA speed camp? I've never drifted over to the dark side, I've only ever done UCA.

It's basically all skills. They teach a camp cheer for All American but otherwise you do stunting and tumbling all week. There might have been some optional dance classes, I don't quite recall. They teach more advanced skills stunting wise than normal camps I believe (like double ups).
ETA: it rocks. It's also super tiring, but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
UCA person here. I saw a youtube promo last year for NCA speed camps and actually thought it looked AWESOME! There aren't any that I could find in our area though. Now add in the "you must attend UCA camp rule to go to nationals" and speed camps are out even if there was one close.

UCA person here. I saw a youtube promo last year for NCA speed camps and actually thought it looked AWESOME! There aren't any that I could find in our area though. Now add in the "you must attend UCA camp rule to go to nationals" and speed camps are out even if there was one close.

Is the rule "UCA camp" or "varsity camp?"

I'm too tired now to look.

Is the rule "UCA camp" or "varsity camp?"

I'm too tired now to look.
Now that you question it I'm not 100% positive. Pretty sure though it's just UCA camp for UCA nationals. The other companies (NCA/USA) didn't implement the camp rule, correct?

Throw me in the boat as too tired to look too! Tomorrow is gonna be extra long so I'll look Thursday if no one else answers before then.

Now that you question it I'm not 100% positive. Pretty sure though it's just UCA camp for UCA nationals. The other companies (NCA/USA) didn't implement the camp rule, correct?

Throw me in the boat as too tired to look too! Tomorrow is gonna be extra long so I'll look Thursday if no one else answers before then.
Guided by the UCA Staff, squads will learn and demonstrate the
ROLES OF THE CHEERLEADER – Crowd Leaders, Spirit Raisers, Ambassadors, Athletes & Entertainers!
Squad Credentialing at a Varsity Spirit Summer Camp gives teams eligibility to qualify for the
UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship.

This is the quote from the UCA camp handbook. If they mean "go to a varsity camp" maybe NCA could count since it's under that umbrella.

We have been to NCA Speed camp for the last two years, it is a very well run camp and very informative however a couple of things Ive noticed are, especially with the stunting. We had four groups the first year and only one buddy so our buddy was very flustered trying to work with 4 groups and the groups started to get flustered -- and it was an inversion for a pyramid that we as coaches have never seen so we were no help at all BUT when I gave that feedback to them the first year, they totally made up for it the next year by giving us two buddies :)

Then another thing I noticed since we have been twice, a couple times there were stunts that we already learned last year and when we broke to go try the stunts we already knew how to do we didn't know what to do with our time. Theres only so much you can do with a "booty bounce" lolol

The girls say their favorite thing about the camps is meeting the buddies and getting pictures with someone that cheers for Cheer Athletics and "omg I cant believe shes won worlds!" My high school team has no exposure to the all-star industry. Only what they see on youtube and Instagram.

We are going for a third time this year and we are excited, we are hoping to learn about body control and FULL UPS. My team is dying to get full ups and we just cant seem to get them.

We have been to NCA Speed camp for the last two years, it is a very well run camp and very informative however a couple of things Ive noticed are, especially with the stunting. We had four groups the first year and only one buddy so our buddy was very flustered trying to work with 4 groups and the groups started to get flustered -- and it was an inversion for a pyramid that we as coaches have never seen so we were no help at all BUT when I gave that feedback to them the first year, they totally made up for it the next year by giving us two buddies :)

Then another thing I noticed since we have been twice, a couple times there were stunts that we already learned last year and when we broke to go try the stunts we already knew how to do we didn't know what to do with our time. Theres only so much you can do with a "booty bounce" lolol

The girls say their favorite thing about the camps is meeting the buddies and getting pictures with someone that cheers for Cheer Athletics and "omg I cant believe shes won worlds!" My high school team has no exposure to the all-star industry. Only what they see on youtube and Instagram.

We are going for a third time this year and we are excited, we are hoping to learn about body control and FULL UPS. My team is dying to get full ups and we just cant seem to get them.

Would be happy to help you with progressing full ups easily. I don't know if there's a "Private message" function on this thing, but if there is, maybe you can send me one and I'll figure it out....

I'd rather my high school kids not have any exposure to the all star industry outside of the few who are fortunate enough to compete in all stars. That alone would be enough to keep me away from speed camp.

Would be happy to help you with progressing full ups easily. I don't know if there's a "Private message" function on this thing, but if there is, maybe you can send me one and I'll figure it out....

I'd rather my high school kids not have any exposure to the all star industry outside of the few who are fortunate enough to compete in all stars. That alone would be enough to keep me away from speed camp.

There are LOTS of UCA, NCA, and NCA speed staffers that cheered for elite allstar programs, as well as for elite college programs. You're not escaping "cheerlebrities" just because you choose UCA. I was a traditional NCA staffer and worked fairly regularly with some "famous" cheerleaders that were NCA staffers.

YES.

I had a girl make my team who came up from JV as a flyer. Super tiny (think still 6th grader level tiny in 10th grade.) She was great at the caliber of stunt that JV did (think all star level 2, no extended stunts usually as the group is a little less experienced.)

So she learns to lib/full down for tryouts. Does well. Mind you, she had some of the most experienced bases on the team,

Fast forward to the next level of stunts (full ups/1.5 ups/etc.) and she is failing miserably. Bailing. Not staying core tight. Etc.

I let her know she was going to transition to basing this year. Cue tears. Cue EVEN MORE TEARS when I reconfigured stunt groups with someone *gasp* not as tiny as she was. Her parent actually told me that her daughter was 75 pounds and could not base.

Fast forward two years, she has grown a little and is a beast base but she was my number one example of every teeny tiny not being meant for flying.

There are LOTS of UCA, NCA, and NCA speed staffers that cheered for elite allstar programs, as well as for elite college programs. You're not escaping "cheerlebrities" just because you choose UCA. I was a traditional NCA staffer and worked fairly regularly with some "famous" cheerleaders that were NCA staffers.

Yep.

Even in the home camps!

My friends have had staffers come into their schools for UCA home camps who were formerly cheerleaders from "big deal" teams. Happens all the time.

The staffers actually don't make as big of a deal of it as you'd think.

Back