OT New Random Thread 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I started to watch 13 Reasons Why but only got to episode 6. I don't have Netflix but I watched it while at someone's house. I really liked it. I jumped ahead to episode 13 just to see how it ended and since I can't watch it anymore. So anyone else think that the actor playing Tony looks too old for a high schooler? I swear every scene I feel like he's a undercover cop lol.

I stayed up to 3am wanting to binge-watch it last night as episodes 3-9 were very slow.

I don't think I'm okay. So much shock factor in those last episodes. They definitely didn't sugar-coat it...

New York just passed (or is about to pass) legislation that will make state universities and city universities tuition free for families who make under $125K a year (read here). This is the most exciting piece of actual news since.... I can't remember.

A little too late for me lol and there are obviously parts of the plan that people have criticism about but what a gigantic step in the right direction!

New York just passed (or is about to pass) legislation that will make state universities and city universities tuition free for families who make under $125K a year (read here). This is the most exciting piece of actual news since.... I can't remember.

A little too late for me lol and there are obviously parts of the plan that people have criticism about but what a gigantic step in the right direction!
It also says that you need to work in NYS for each year that you attend that school, otherwise it changes over to loans (which to me is really not such a big deal since historically NY state schools tend to be more in-state anyway as opposed to other states' public universities) and that there is a minimum GPA which must be maintained. Being that an average SUNY runs about $23K with room and board and a CUNY much less, this really opens up a world of opportunities for families who meet the criteria.
My parents went to CUNY for free. Their families would not have been able to afford it otherwise.

I started to watch 13 Reasons Why but only got to episode 6. I don't have Netflix but I watched it while at someone's house. I really liked it. I jumped ahead to episode 13 just to see how it ended and since I can't watch it anymore. So anyone else think that the actor playing Tony looks too old for a high schooler? I swear every scene I feel like he's a undercover cop lol.

My friend told me Tony ( the actor) got married in 2003

But I thought all of the jocks looked elderly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also says that you need to work in NYS for each year that you attend that school, otherwise it changes over to loans (which to me is really not such a big deal since historically NY state schools tend to be more in-state anyway as opposed to other states' public universities) and that there is a minimum GPA which must be maintained. Being that an average SUNY runs about $23K with room and board and a CUNY much less, this really opens up a world of opportunities for families who meet the criteria.
My parents went to CUNY for free. Their families would not have been able to afford it otherwise.

I don't really believe in free higher education but I do think it should be a lot more accessible than it is right now and it should NOT be as big of a burden on the students and their families as it is right now.

If the state wants to offer people the chance at a "free" education then I am absolutely fine with them putting qualifiers on it. It’s really no different than tuition reimbursement programs through employers. Schooling is not free, someone pays for it. And if someone is paying tens of thousands for it, then they should have the right to put qualifiers on it. Nothing says you to HAVE to take it either but it's there if you want it.

I get that people are upset about the "living and working in NYS" clause but is it REALLY that bad? NYS is one of the few states, IMO, where the jobs industries available are very, very diverse. You can be a laborer or a farmer or a wall street exec or a scientist or entertainer or engineer and still work in NYS. And yes, as you said, NYS schools don’t target many out-of-state students so it's not hurting that many kids by "trapping" them in the state after graduation.

The living and working clause is peanuts compared to being burdened with student loans for 10+ years and having $80K+ to pay back. Those loans are the real trap and they are more destructive to a young persons life than not being able to move out of state to go live wherever you want for a couple years after graduation. Obviously there are some students who would like to be able to participate and can’t, but if people want to complain about the fact they have to stay in NYS for a maximum of 4 or 5 years, by all means, take that $80K bill. Go live your life how you want to.

My family would've qualified under this legislation and I definitely would've found a job in state to satisfy the 4 year requirement if this option was available to me. My brother already works in NYS so he'd benefit from it. Almost all of my friends from college would participate in this if it were available to us. Many of my high school friends didn't go to college/complete their degrees because of money reasons and I know they’d take the deal. The positive consequences of this legislation are exciting as well because it has the potential to bring a lot of jobs to Upstate NY where people are really hurting. I'm definitely a supporter of this and I'm excited to see how it works out!

My friend told me Tony ( the actor) got married in 2003

But I thought all of the jocks looked elderly

But have you already used your Netflix free trial?

I hope there isn't actually going to be a second season. There's no need.

I don't really believe in free higher education but I do think it should be a lot more accessible than it is right now and it should NOT be as big of a burden on the students and their families as it is right now.

If the state wants to offer people the chance at a "free" education then I am absolutely fine with them putting qualifiers on it. It’s really no different than tuition reimbursement programs through employers. Schooling is not free, someone pays for it. And if someone is paying tens of thousands for it, then they should have the right to put qualifiers on it. Nothing says you to HAVE to take it either but it's there if you want it.

I get that people are upset about the "living and working in NYS" clause but is it REALLY that bad? NYS is one of the few states, IMO, where the jobs industries available are very, very diverse. You can be a laborer or a farmer or a wall street exec or a scientist or entertainer or engineer and still work in NYS. And yes, as you said, NYS schools don’t target many out-of-state students so it's not hurting that many kids by "trapping" them in the state after graduation.

The living and working clause is peanuts compared to being burdened with student loans for 10+ years and having $80K+ to pay back. Those loans are the real trap and they are more destructive to a young persons life than not being able to move out of state to go live wherever you want for a couple years after graduation. Obviously there are some students who would like to be able to participate and can’t, but if people want to complain about the fact they have to stay in NYS for a maximum of 4 or 5 years, by all means, take that $80K bill. Go live your life how you want to.

My family would've qualified under this legislation and I definitely would've found a job in state to satisfy the 4 year requirement if this option was available to me. My brother already works in NYS so he'd benefit from it. Almost all of my friends from college would participate in this if it were available to us. Many of my high school friends didn't go to college/complete their degrees because of money reasons and I know they’d take the deal. The positive consequences of this legislation are exciting as well because it has the potential to bring a lot of jobs to Upstate NY where people are really hurting. I'm definitely a supporter of this and I'm excited to see how it works out!
I am as well.

Programs like this have been in place for years to a lesser degree. I could have had my graduate degree completely paid for at Columbia if I took part in the BOE NYC reimbursement program but I chose not to because it would have meant I had to give back 2 years (for every one year they paid for) plus I was fortunate to get into a more prestigious CUNY program where the cost was minimal and took a full year less to finish; I then had the freedom not to work for the Board of Ed.

Also with the free college in New York, it's just free tuition. If you live on campus you're still on the hook for fees, room and board, etc. while this definitely save people money and open doors for people, many will still spend 10k+ per year for school. Either way still a great deal for those living in New York.

Also with the free college in New York, it's just free tuition. If you live on campus you're still on the hook for fees, room and board, etc. while this definitely save people money and open doors for people, many will still spend 10k+ per year for school. Either way still a great deal for those living in New York.

Curious if they will pull a "Massachusetts" and tuition will be between $500-$1,000/semester at public universities and fees will make up the remainder. My daughter received a scholarship for free tuition at any state university in Massachusetts, but because of the way they structure their payments it was almost useless.

Curious if they will pull a "Massachusetts" and tuition will be between $500-$1,000/semester at public universities and fees will make up the remainder. My daughter received a scholarship for free tuition at any state university in Massachusetts, but because of the way they structure their payments it was almost useless.
Yep, the college my son attends really throws everything into the fee column and boy does it add up (compared to where my daughter goes). Both have scholarships for "tuition".

So rebel posted a pic of my 2 youngest with their team and my 6 year old thinks she's famous now. It's hysterical!

13 Reasons Why was the first book to make me cry. I'm scared to watch it because I don't necessarily want to relive the memories of my own trials that I associated with the book

UK Fierceboarders, is November a decent time to visit London? Im looking into booking a trip, and don't want to wait a long time before going, but November is the cheapest. I looked at average temps and it looks to be warmer than it would be here in November, but I know it can vary a decent amount.

I literally cannot believe what happened with United. The video made me sick to my stomach.

The fact that airlines can act this way and get away with it is insane. That dude probably won't be able to sue them, because United was technically (according to the rules), within their rights to treat him that way. He paid for a flight, was seated in his seat, and they're still allowed to forcibly eject him like he's a criminal, knocking him unconscious along the way.

Back