OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So my mom is the dean of special Ed at a hs and is at prom right now w some of her kiddos and she just sent me this (not sure if this will work, never posted a pic from my phone). Two of my favorites that I used to work 1-on-1 with as a para, and I was the aide for the girl for cheerleading. The boy is a senior, he was captain of the state championship basketball team, and as of about five minutes ago, he was voted prom king! The Queen is the captain of the field hockey team that I coach, so I'm just having all the feels right now. So emotional.
d8924fbe083b48a882c871f77509b96d.jpg

0c79a281f18d707b93318b7fb9d5586b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no no no no that's even worse.

1. Not everyone should go to college. There should be a course level appropriate for these students. (this was "level 2" at my high school, but other schools call it "standard prep" or "college prep-2 year school")
1.a. Not everyone is capable of college work, which is fine! We're all different.
1.b. Not everyone is going to want to go to college either. Plenty of jobs do not require a college degree.

2. Some people want to go to college, but are comfortably in the middle of the bell curve intellectually. There should be something for these students. (We called this "level three" at my high school, but most places call this "college prep")

3. Not everyone can handle Advanced Placement (which is supposed to equal a college course) while in high school. There should be something for these students as well. This would be "honors," for students with a higher intellectual capacity than the level 2 or level 3 kids, but who are not quite ready for the rigor AP courses.

4. AP/Dual enrollment. (self-explanatory. the top of the top are in these courses.)

Putting students in an environment with their intellectual equals will benefit them more than putting them in a classroom with a wide variety of intelligence/motivational levels. This would presumably make the teacher's job easier as well.

How big is your high school?
This. Do people not remember what happened when everyone had to buy a house? The housing bubble popped. Soon enough, my college degree isn't going to mean anything because everyone is being pushed to go to college. There are plenty of people that can benefit from just going to technical schools.

This. Do people not remember what happened when everyone had to buy a house? The housing bubble popped. Soon enough, my college degree isn't going to mean anything because everyone is being pushed to go to college. There are plenty of people that can benefit from just going to technical schools.
My favorite is when the counsellors come in to senior classes to talk about senior stuff. The ONLY option they talk about for after graduation is college, though they do mention 2 year and 4 year programs. We're never talked to about the college search, how to figure out what college is right for you, etc. When talking about deadlines the only ones they tell us are Mizzou's - no common app, or general time most are due, nothing. Just "Mizzou's application is rolling but you have to apply by this date for scholarships and the scholarship app is due on this date and yada yada yada"
I know the school is 7 minutes down the road but seriously? There are SO MANY colleges and options for students, please stop presenting Mizzou as the only one. When I told my counselor what OOS schools I was looking at she was basically like "yeah but you're undecided so you should probably go to Mizzou"
I'm going to Mizzou. It's not a bad school and they offer really amazing scholarship opportunities for students like me. But it's unfair to students to present it as their only option - not everyone has parents like mine who encourage them to look around! And for a lot kids who don't get in to Mizzou they never look at other schools that take people with their grades and scores because Mizzou is presented as where you should go and seen as "easy" to get into. While in reality it's not as easy as people act and kids who don't get automatic admissions shouldn't feel (or be treated like) they're hopeless.

My favorite is when the counsellors come in to senior classes to talk about senior stuff. The ONLY option they talk about for after graduation is college, though they do mention 2 year and 4 year programs. We're never talked to about the college search, how to figure out what college is right for you, etc. When talking about deadlines the only ones they tell us are Mizzou's - no common app, or general time most are due, nothing. Just "Mizzou's application is rolling but you have to apply by this date for scholarships and the scholarship app is due on this date and yada yada yada"
I know the school is 7 minutes down the road but seriously? There are SO MANY colleges and options for students, please stop presenting Mizzou as the only one. When I told my counselor what OOS schools I was looking at she was basically like "yeah but you're undecided so you should probably go to Mizzou"
I'm going to Mizzou. It's not a bad school and they offer really amazing scholarship opportunities for students like me. But it's unfair to students to present it as their only option - not everyone has parents like mine who encourage them to look around! And for a lot kids who don't get in to Mizzou they never look at other schools that take people with their grades and scores because Mizzou is presented as where you should go and seen as "easy" to get into. While in reality it's not as easy as people act and kids who don't get automatic admissions shouldn't feel (or be treated like) they're hopeless.

Is automatic acceptance still a 24 on the ACT? Or have they changed it? It has been a while since I applied to Mizzou.

Fun fact: I almost went to Mizzou (because it was where all my friends were going and it was the "easy" choice, not because I love Mizzou haha) and my dad, a die hard KU alum, bought me a Mizzou shirt my senior year to try and show his support. However, he was ecstatic to return the shirt when I decided to go elsewhere [emoji23]

I think a lot of kids just aren't aware that there are other options besides college. For me, there was never an alternative that I considered. But it was because I personally desperately wanted to go to college. Sometimes counselors and teachers lead us to believe that a kid is a failure if he/she doesn't go to college, which is so very wrong.

On the other hand though, I do believe that every kid should be encouraged to consider college, and that tertiary education should be much more accessible (especially financially) than it currently is in this country. That's something I feel very strongly about.

Is automatic acceptance still a 24 on the ACT? Or have they changed it? It has been a while since I applied to Mizzou.

Fun fact: I almost went to Mizzou (because it was where all my friends were going and it was the "easy" choice, not because I love Mizzou haha) and my dad, a die hard KU alum, bought me a Mizzou shirt my senior year to try and show his support. However, he was ecstatic to return the shirt when I decided to go elsewhere [emoji23]

It is! And that's hilarious! My dad on the other hand was buying me Mizzou engineering shirts because even though I thought I was going elsewhere he was like "yeah I'm pretty sure this is where you're headed though" He was fine with me not going to Mizzou but knew with his discount for being a professor and my merit scholarships I wouldn't really be able to turn them down (and he was right :D)

Lol the intern called in sick... So I won't be able to fire her today. Considering doing it via email. [emoji35]
Oh, and by "called in sick" I mean sent an email at 9pm last night. To the office email. And didn't text or call anyone to let us know - so she wasn't there to open the studio. Thank God I have no faith in her and came early.

Oh, and by "called in sick" I mean sent an email at 9pm last night. To the office email. And didn't text or call anyone to let us know - so she wasn't there to open the studio. Thank God I have no faith in her and came early.
Yikes...ya doesn't sound like she deserves a face to face firing lol

So a kid at my school got stabbed in the arm last night at an "off campus" (less than 10 min walk from my dorm) party last night by a local teenager. I wasn't there, I only heard about it through peers and then an email from the school, but I've been there so many times. So scary!

@Ashley I think I might have mentioned this the last time you asked for London/Paris suggestions, but the catacombs in Paris might be fun for your hubby especially if he's not a museum lover. Totally creepy and off the beaten path. We also love Musee Rodin, it is actually one of my favorite museums worldwide.

Lol wait really? The capital is boston!

And Amherst is definitely western ma, but there's still a long-ish way to the complete western border. It was misleading to me too before I drove to NY a few times and realized how much farther we had left to go after Amherst area.

If you live in eastern MA pretty much anything West of Worcester is New York. I didn't realize how much more of the state there was past Amherst either! In actuality, Amherst is BARELY western MA.

I'm admittedly Debbie Downer when it comes to higher education, but depending on your major, most college degrees already don't mean anything and haven't for awhile.

Your connections however......

Back