OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm admittedly Debbie Downer when it comes to higher education, but depending on your major, most college degrees already don't mean anything and haven't for awhile.

Your connections however......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It definitely depends on your major, and if you're planning to go to graduate school. That degree and where it is from is often much more important.
Sometimes though connections can simply come from the college that you attend especially if they have a large alumni network.

I have learnt the hard way university is not for everyone I love to study but being dyslexic and other problems means I found academics hard. I am now attempting uni again but doing a nursing course where only half is based on academic exams the rest is practical or essays on practice which suits me better I just wish I didn't waste 3 years realising this is what I wanted to do

My dear Australian family still cannot get their heads around the US college system.

"Why does the government not pay for it?"
"Why does a degree cost the same as a mid-sized house?"
"Why does everyone move away for college?"
"Why can you not study a specific course in undergrad?"
"Why do you have to write entrance essays?"
"Why does everyone care about where they go, not what they study?"
"What are the SATs and why does every second teen movie go on and on about them?"

A Russia rhythmic gymnast left a couple of comments underneath one of my videos, this is the more infuriating one of the two...

"To ask a gymnast to be a cheerleader is as ask Picasso to paint a wall in one color. I was doing rhythmic gymnastics when I was living in Russia and I never understood cheerleading. I consider gymnastics as an Art and I want to do my act of Art I don't want to cheer somebody's else act. Cheerleading is like sporty striptease. Definitely it needs some athletic skills but those idiotic slogans etc."

Yes, I already responded to her, but still. :banghead:

A Russia rhythmic gymnast left a couple of comments underneath one of my videos, this is the more infuriating one of the two...

"To ask a gymnast to be a cheerleader is as ask Picasso to paint a wall in one color. I was doing rhythmic gymnastics when I was living in Russia and I never understood cheerleading. I consider gymnastics as an Art and I want to do my act of Art I don't want to cheer somebody's else act. Cheerleading is like sporty striptease. Definitely it needs some athletic skills but those idiotic slogans etc."

Yes, I already responded to her, but still. :banghead:

I was genuinely trying to understand her analogy right up until the striptease part.

This. Do people not remember what happened when everyone had to buy a house? The housing bubble popped. Soon enough, my college degree isn't going to mean anything because everyone is being pushed to go to college. There are plenty of people that can benefit from just going to technical schools.
Have you guys heard Marty Nemko's statements about college? It's crazy was these schools are willing to do to make a buck.

Is anyone good at physics? I'm doing my final project which is a paper and a presentation and I could really use someone to look over my paper when it's done :D I'll love you forever! It's the first and only paper we've written for this class so I'm most unsure about if it sounds like a science paper or not

My dear Australian family still cannot get their heads around the US college system.

"Why does the government not pay for it?"
"Why does a degree cost the same as a mid-sized house?"
"Why does everyone move away for college?"
"Why can you not study a specific course in undergrad?"
"Why do you have to write entrance essays?"
"Why does everyone care about where they go, not what they study?"
"What are the SATs and why does every second teen movie go on and on about them?"

I cannot wrap my head around the U.S. College system and I went through it. It's infuriating. I watched a little of some college focused documentary (maybe it was Ivory Tower mentioned above) and I couldn't get through it all because I was so angry.

This, though, is my favorite college related idea that the NY governor had recently: they wanted to give inmates free access to get a 2 or 4 year degree. YUP. Can you see all the things that are wrong with this idea? Let's ignore the fact the you want to give felons a free education while millions of families who have followed the law are struggling to send their children to college every year. Let's ignore the growing debt that each new graduating class will have when they graduate but then tell me that it would cost $5,000 for an inmate to get a degree. Let's ignore the fact that people with college degrees AND a clean record are having a tough enough time finding a job as it is. Like they cant find ways to solve those problems instead? Let's give the felons more opportunities instead. The felons that you claim cost $60,000 per person per year to keep locked up when none of the adults in my family even make that much per year and try their best to live an honest and comfortable life. Lol ok.

I may look like I'm smiling but I'm actually screaming on the inside :banghead:

It definitely depends on your major, and if you're planning to go to graduate school. That degree and where it is from is often much more important.
Sometimes though connections can simply come from the college that you attend especially if they have a large alumni network.

I only went to undergrad because I knew I needed to go to grad school.

My sister just finished her sophomore year of college but has been looking at grad schools since she was in high school.

All of my friends from undergrad now have their masters (the last ones are graduating this month) and the ones that don't have theirs went the married with kids route and don't have a job at all.

I think grad school is the new undergrad.

I'm toying with the idea of getting my PHD....not because I necessarily need it professionally...but because I need to be more educated than all of my friends *hair toss*

(I'm being facetious by the way about that lol...although I do think about getting PHD and teaching people how to librarian....so that I can write a book and then force my students to buy it)

I only went to undergrad because I knew I needed to go to grad school.

My sister just finished her sophomore year of college but has been looking at grad schools since she was in high school.

All of my friends from undergrad now have their masters (the last ones are graduating this month) and the ones that don't have theirs went the married with kids route and don't have a job at all.

I'm toying with the idea of getting my PHD....not because I necessarily need it professionally...but because I need to be more educated than all of my friends *hair toss*

(I'm being facetious by the way about that lol...although I do think about getting PHD and teaching people how to librarian....so that I can write a book and then force my students to buy it)

My first career was Masters level entry (speech language pathologist) so I always knew I'd have to go to grad school. For a while I toyed with the idea of getting my PhD but I knew I didn't want to teach or do research, and since I worked in Early Intervention as an independent contractor there was really no need to get one.

Same with my friends, (with the exception of my nursing major roommates, and they're all making a heck of a lot more than the rest of us, with just the bachelors.) And 1000x YES to the bolded part. It seems like it's more and more difficult to find a decent job with just a bachelors.

Also, high schools need to start having classes about applying for loans and FAFSA and all that jazz . That's a b*tch to learn/understand fully/complete in a matter of a couple months if you know nothing about it. Looking back 10 years, I wish I would've spent more time researching what the heck I was signing up for...

My first career was Masters level entry (speech language pathologist) so I always knew I'd have to go to grad school. For a while I toyed with the idea of getting my PhD but I knew I didn't want to teach or do research, and since I worked in Early Intervention as an independent contractor there was really no need to get one.

My mom is a SLP. In a few weeks I can say was since she's retiring. She graduated from college, couldn't find a job (this was the late 70s mind you ) so she decided to go to grad school. She chose between library science, social work and SLP.

She didn't do library science because her soror was in the program (petty hahaha).

Lo and behold I ended up the librarian (and in actuality I've wanted to be a librarian since I was 7 and she never told me that story until after I'd finished grad school)...and her soror is my boss....and part of the reason I was recruited (stolen as she once said at a conference) into my current position....

Same with my friends, (with the exception of my nursing major roommates, and they're all making a heck of a lot more than the rest of us, with just the bachelors.) And 1000x YES to the bolded part. It seems like it's more and more difficult to find a decent job with just a bachelors.

Also, high schools need to start having classes about applying for loans and FAFSA and all that jazz . That's a b*tch to learn/understand fully/complete in a matter of a couple months if you know nothing about it. Looking back 10 years, I wish I would've spent more time researching what the heck I was signing up for...

Amen. I say all the time that 17/18 is entirely too young for kids to be signing their life away with student loans because they don't understand

If I were as smart at 17 as I am now at 29 I wouldn't have gotten an entirely different undergraduate degree and would probably be debt free. But I didn't know. Poor me

Back