OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@WinstonsGirl, yes, that is true, but in NJ, it is based on the different school districts how your pay is set up. At my last school district, which was definitely a larger district, yes, they will set aside pay for 52 weeks, if requested, but where I am at now, this is too much trouble, I guess, it is too expensive for my smaller school district to do this 52 weeks pay option... I pretty much must sock away money to cover me for the Summer and work, which I have been working the first 5 years, it was easy to find temporary employment, but the last 5 years, I have been working independently and I actually learned to love it!

Alexx, I really feel bad that you are finding it hard to make steady money and I wonder, in college what are you studying? Maybe think about taking some courses like higher level Math, etc.. I find that working as a tutor, I am making a lot of money and I can set up my own schedule and times too...

PS: Btw, If you live near a college, go by the Career Resource Center and go job searching, I know this helped me in the beginning to find the young students I tutor and I often used to see listings for Tutors, CareTakers, etc... The CRC is a great resource for young college students. Jmo
Unfortunately I only have one year left of school and both semesters are already packed. I have 18 this fall which is 5 classes and this spring will have 16 which is four and I still might be short credit in order to graduate.

Because you are a full time employee with a yearly salary. Paras and TAs get paid by the hour. Is there any home instruction provided by the school district that you could do? I know it is not as much as you get paid privately but at least it would be something.
@CheerBank, I am satisfied with my independent work now, but I was just trying to brainstorm with Alexx about looking inwardly as a mean for employment... I know, I was feeling exactly how she is feeling now about 5 or 6 years ago, but my husband kicked me in the butt and explained how many different skills I had, but I was always too focused on working for someone...

Yes @CheerBank, I worked home instruction for my school district my 5th year, but I find that they had too many restrictions and you must use the school district's curriculum, you stay at the student's home and last, you must use another teacher's lesson plans and when I tutor my students I often provide a wealth of additional resources and I often must go back to basics, which in many home instruction situation, it is frowned upon...

By some miracle I got a 3 on the AP Physics test. Seriously surprised I got above a 1... I knew NOTHING. I don't know if I get credit for that but I'm retaking the class second semester since I definitely don't know it and since I have to take physics 2 I actually need to know it. But I got a 5 on psych and stat so that's exciting! Which count as social science and a technical elective. Hopefully my ap credits (I also have the only English class I need to take, calc 1, and calc 2) keep my courseload reasonable since in later semesters I'm supposed to take 18 credits... They should keep me at 15 or 16 instead!
Going into college with 22 credits was the greatest thing ever! I could have easily graduated in 3 years if I didn't have to take about 5 extra pre-req classes for grad school. I should have graduated in 3.5, but I decided to make my last 3 semesters 12-13 credits each instead.

@WinstonsGirl, yes, that is true, but in NJ, it is based on the different school districts how your pay is set up. At my last school district, which was definitely a larger district, yes, they will set aside pay for 52 weeks, if requested, but where I am at now, this is too much trouble, I guess, it is too expensive for my smaller school district to do this 52 weeks pay option... I pretty much must sock away money to cover me for the Summer and work, which I have been working the first 5 years, it was easy to find temporary employment, but the last 5 years, I have been working independently and I actually learned to love it!

True, the smaller boards I've been with didn't do pay over the summer in the same way larger boards do. But we still couldn't claim unemployment.

By some miracle I got a 3 on the AP Physics test. Seriously surprised I got above a 1... I knew NOTHING. I don't know if I get credit for that but I'm retaking the class second semester since I definitely don't know it and since I have to take physics 2 I actually need to know it. But I got a 5 on psych and stat so that's exciting! Which count as social science and a technical elective. Hopefully my ap credits (I also have the only English class I need to take, calc 1, and calc 2) keep my courseload reasonable since in later semesters I'm supposed to take 18 credits... They should keep me at 15 or 16 instead!

That was me with AP Calc BC. Our school had it set up weird so we did AB and BC calc in like a year and a half, I'm not quite sure how. Anyway, I took the test and really felt like there was no way I knew any of the BC stuff and manager to get a 3 on BC and a 4 or 5 on the AB sub score. I ended up with credit for calc I and II in college, but because I'd have to take Calc III, I really needed to retake Calc II - which I did. But watch out, because I never cancelled my AP credit, I was retaking Calc 2 for no credit, which I didn't realize, and I ended up below the 12 credits you needed to be considered a full time student and to qualify for the Dean's list. So if it does give you credit, you might want to make sure during orientation you get it cancelled.

That was me with AP Calc BC. Our school had it set up weird so we did AB and BC calc in like a year and a half, I'm not quite sure how. Anyway, I took the test and really felt like there was no way I knew any of the BC stuff and manager to get a 3 on BC and a 4 or 5 on the AB sub score. I ended up with credit for calc I and II in college, but because I'd have to take Calc III, I really needed to retake Calc II - which I did. But watch out, because I never cancelled my AP credit, I was retaking Calc 2 for no credit, which I didn't realize, and I ended up below the 12 credits you needed to be considered a full time student and to qualify for the Dean's list. So if it does give you credit, you might want to make sure during orientation you get it cancelled.
Hm, I went to two advising appointments and they never said anything about it. I'll have to email my advisor and see if I'm considered full time. Thanks for letting me know!
@luv2cheer92 I'm really glad I have the credits! Since I'm in Engineering I'll still probably use (need) all four years, plus my scholarships are good for four years so why not use that money even if I could graduate. there's a 5 year masters program so I could take a few classes early if I end up in that situation

Hm, I went to two advising appointments and they never said anything about it. I'll have to email my advisor and see if I'm considered full time. Thanks for letting me know!

I actually may have still been considered full time because I was still taking the class, I don't remember, it was 10 years ago now haha. But I do know I wasn't eligible for dean's list that semester even though I should have been.

I actually may have still been considered full time because I was still taking the class, I don't remember, it was 10 years ago now haha. But I do know I wasn't eligible for dean's list that semester even though I should have been.
Thanks, I'll check it out! I know there are a whole bunch of requirements to keep my scholarships and get the faculty tuition discount so it's worth it to make sure!

Yes@CheerBank, I worked home instruction for my school district my 5th year, but I find that they had too many restrictions and you must use the school district's curriculum, you stay at the student's home and last, you must use another teacher's lesson plans and when I tutor my students I often provide a wealth of additional resources and I often must go back to basics, which in many home instruction situation, it is frowned upon...
I fully understand your frustration with that! If a child is returning to their own classroom and teacher though it makes sense for the home instructor to follow that teacher's curriculum. It is difficult though when you see a kid needs the basics before they can proceed with the work the teacher has provided.
We often have a hard time finding math tutors for our home instruction kids during the school year because they can do so much better with private students. I'm sure you have no problem with that on your end, but it's probably a little a slower during the summer.

Question for the coaches, sports therapy/medicine folks. @cupieqt @SarahS @NJ Coach @ShoWStoppeR

Practice is 2 1/2 hours. At start of practice CP can land standing back handsprings to fulls, but by end of practice (part of their conditioning) she lands hard on her knees every time. Is this okay, or is repetitive falling on her knees (she already has knee pain/issues) something to take serious. I asked her to talk to Coach, but she insist she is fine. It concerns me.

**hmmmmm, did I take my meds today?**

Last edited:
They shouldn't be throwing high level skills at the end of practice.
For me the rule is after 1.5 hours of intense anaerobic training, the last 30 minutes should be focused on stretching, marking, drilling short, small sections of skill if absolutely necessary. That one to full should be a one to tuck at the end of practice if not a one to set just to mark the timing of the skill.

2.5 hours of intense training is a lot. Definitely no high level skills should be happening at the end. As evidenced by the busts. Which are very dangerous. It only takes one bad landing to end it all.

Forgot to quote you
@Cheer Dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I fully understand your frustration with that! If a child is returning to their own classroom and teacher though it makes sense for the home instructor to follow that teacher's curriculum. It is difficult though when you see a kid needs the basics before they can proceed with the work the teacher has provided.
We often have a hard time finding math tutors for our home instruction kids during the school year because they can do so much better with private students. I'm sure you have no problem with that on your end, but it's probably a little a slower during the summer.
It makes sense, but I noticed in the 5 years independently working with students in Math. Many of the students lacked the understanding of the basics/rules, particularly in the areas of fractions, percents, decimals and working working with equations and inequalities, etc... I get so frustrated because many school districts expect students to perform algebra and/or even pre-calculus when I know taking a few weeks to sharpen these basic tools will greatly help a failing student. However, we are so focus on keeping up with a failing curriculum and State testing, that this dictates what a student must do to move forward at the same pace as their peers...
Additionally, I quit doing my school district's home instruction because of the unsavory environment many of us were forced to work in too. I really quit out of angered, a good friend/nontenured teacher demanded and was meeting her male student at the public library because the boy's mother will leave her alone for prolong periods, which is against the rules and instead of the school district supporting this teacher, she was fired from both her regular teaching and home instruction assignments...So a very long story!

For those with Macs, is it worth it to upgrade the current operating system? I'm still using the one before the current one, and the reviews for it are super mixed, and I'm not sure if its even worth it since the new one is coming out this fall.

Question for the coaches, sports therapy/medicine folks. @cupieqt @SarahS @NJ Coach @ShoWStoppeR

Practice is 2 1/2 hours. At start of practice CP can land standing back handsprings to fulls, but by end of practice (part of their conditioning) she lands hard on her knees every time. Is this okay, or is repetitive falling on her knees (she already has knee pain/issues) something to take serious. I asked her to talk to Coach, but she insist she is fine. It concerns me.

**hmmmmm, did I take my meds today?**
At this point in the season, I wouldn't be having her try it at the end of a practice. Once we're in season, and she's conditioned for it, maybe...but I'm not the type of coach who generally does that sort of thing...and definitely not one who does it after a 2 1/2 hour practice. My guess is she's busting because she's tired and not in condition...all the more reason to worry she'll get hurt.

Back