OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm so frustrated right now. My work just posted the schedule for next week and I have no hours. Again. Last week I worked six. Week before that was maybe 8? This week all I have is call ins and the same for next week. I just don't know what to do because I'm probably only going to make 50 bucks for all of July. And nobody is going to hire me for a month and a half since I leave for school at the end of August.

@Alexx, I am in the same boat as you! Working in education, it is difficult to find Summer employment, and most employer will not hire you, once learning about the possibility of you leaving and/or most temporary employment goes to college students for some reason... I used to work as a temporary librarian at colleges and public libraries to cover for employees using vacation time and even that dried up about 5 years ago, so I work independently as a tutor, mainly teaching enrichment algebra and this year, mostly pre-calculus to rising 8th-9th graders... The thing that bothers me most about this situation, paraprofessionals/teacher's assistants are able to apply for unemployment benefits for the Summer, but not teachers in NJ...Why???

@Alexx, I am in the same boat as you! Working in education, it is difficult to find Summer employment, and most employer will not hire you, once learning about the possibility of you leaving and/or most temporary employment goes to college students for some reason... I used to work as a temporary librarian at colleges and public libraries to cover for employees using vacation time and even that dried up about 5 years ago, so I work independently as a tutor, mainly teaching enrichment algebra and this year, mostly pre-calculus to rising 8th-9th graders... The thing that bothers me most about this situation, paraprofessionals/teacher's assistants are able to apply for unemployment benefits for the Summer, but not teachers in NJ...Why???

Most teachers are on a continual contract (in whichever form it is in - you get your job back in Sept), though they only work for 10 months of the year (also why often a bit of pay is taken from each of the school year pay checks and given as summer pay checks). Teacher's assistants are hired on a 10 month contract and can therefore claim unemployment. If a teacher wasn't being hired back in Sept, then they could claim unemployment. It's a little convoluted, but it's all to do with the type of work contract you're under. Supply teachers for example, can claim unemployment as they don't have a guaranteed hob in Sept.

** This is Canadian info, so I apologize if things are different in NJ. :)

My uncles a teacher in my old school district and they have the option to spread their salary over 52 weeks so that way they get paid during the summer too. He works with the coroner year round to make extra money though. I just dont get why its so hard to find a summer job that actually gives hours and doesn't make me miserable.

By some miracle I got a 3 on the AP Physics test. Seriously surprised I got above a 1... I knew NOTHING. I don't know if I get credit for that but I'm retaking the class second semester since I definitely don't know it and since I have to take physics 2 I actually need to know it. But I got a 5 on psych and stat so that's exciting! Which count as social science and a technical elective. Hopefully my ap credits (I also have the only English class I need to take, calc 1, and calc 2) keep my courseload reasonable since in later semesters I'm supposed to take 18 credits... They should keep me at 15 or 16 instead!

@WinstonsGirl, yes, that is true, but in NJ, it is based on the different school districts how your pay is set up. At my last school district, which was definitely a larger district, yes, they will set aside pay for 52 weeks, if requested, but where I am at now, this is too much trouble, I guess, it is too expensive for my smaller school district to do this 52 weeks pay option... I pretty much must sock away money to cover me for the Summer and work, which I have been working the first 5 years, it was easy to find temporary employment, but the last 5 years, I have been working independently and I actually learned to love it!

Alexx, I really feel bad that you are finding it hard to make steady money and I wonder, in college what are you studying? Maybe think about taking some courses like higher level Math, etc.. I find that working as a tutor, I am making a lot of money and I can set up my own schedule and times too...

PS: Btw, If you live near a college, go by the Career Resource Center and go job searching, I know this helped me in the beginning to find the young students I tutor and I often used to see listings for Tutors, CareTakers, etc... The CRC is a great resource for young college students. Jmo

By some miracle I got a 3 on the AP Physics test. Seriously surprised I got above a 1... I knew NOTHING. I don't know if I get credit for that but I'm retaking the class second semester since I definitely don't know it and since I have to take physics 2 I actually need to know it. But I got a 5 on psych and stat so that's exciting! Which count as social science and a technical elective. Hopefully my ap credits (I also have the only English class I need to take, calc 1, and calc 2) keep my courseload reasonable since in later semesters I'm supposed to take 18 credits... They should keep me at 15 or 16 instead!
Congrats! Former-cp scored well enough on her three higher level IB classes that she will be able to have 20 credits in her pocket to use for Gen Ed credits as needed. It will be great for when she knows she has a harder semester and wants a lighter courseload. She scored a 3 on her AP Calc test but she was already retaking Calc I in the fall so it did not phase her; she was just happy she passed.

Because you are a full time employee with a yearly salary. Paras and TAs get paid by the hour. Is there any home instruction provided by the school district that you could do? I know it is not as much as you get paid privately but at least it would be something.

Congrats! Former-cp scored well enough on her three higher level IB classes that she will be able to have 20 credits in her pocket to use for Gen Ed credits as needed. It will be great for when she knows she has a harder semester and wants a lighter courseload. She scored a 3 on her AP Calc test but she was already retaking Calc I in the fall so it did not phase her; she was just happy she passed.
Thanks! I have credit for calc 1 and 2 but I'm retaking calc 2 anyway because I definitely don't know it well enough to go into calc 3 and then differential equations, I took it junior year so it's been a while! I think I have around 20 hours too, would be 25 but since I'm retaking calc it doesn't count (I think? I don't think I can use it for elective credit). But taking Calc BC gets you college algebra credit so that's a bonus for a class I didn't even have to take!
I'm just thankful I don't have to take any English at all!

Back