OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
In the spirit of Jefferson in the Election of 1800...can we go back to politics?

Has anyone been watching who Trump is appointing to some of his key advisory positions? If so, are you as terrified for this country as I am? I realize he called for an end to the hate (too little, too late, imho); but it's kind of counter productive when you promote someone who is open about being a white supremacist, right?
No, I'm not terrified at all.

If you don't mind me asking, why? I really want all sides of this so please don't think I'm trying to bait you into an argument.
Because they are qualified for the job? If you are talking about Bannon he ISN'T a supremacist, he has ties to organizations that white nationalists claim to support, but that doesn't make him one. None of those organizations recognize or accept that support as far as I know. Where has he ever said that he is?? This is how stuff gets blown out of proportion and misrepresented. A news personality asys something, with obvious undertones, it gets changed along the way ,ect.

If you don't mind me asking, why? I really want all sides of this so please don't think I'm trying to bait you into an argument.
Because I don't listen to mainstream media who has been caught in almost as many lies as some of our candidates. I am far from a Republican with the exception of fiscal matters. I have lived with a President that gave me huge concern when he was elected, and he has signed more executive orders than any other and IMO has not been a good President, and although I am far worse off financially and socially than before he was elected, I'm still here and so is our country. I am not a Trump "supporter", but he is not what the media and their followers make him out to be. If you look back in time prior to when he began his campaign, he has done a lot of good things for a very wide range of people, but he doesn't feel the need to broadcast it. His campaign manager - a Mom to 4 kids. Remember Omarosa? The woman everyone loved to hate? He respected her enough to not only give her a job after The Apprentice, but also to hire her for his campaign. He has smart, confident, respectful children that are very involved in his life. That alone says a lot to me. As far as laws and policies, I don't think you are going to see major changes, but you may see the laws being upheld (imagine that?!). I am happy that my nephew and the vast majority of his "co-workers" who are in Kuwait protecting us are more comfortable with the election results.
I understand that there are people who feel completely different and that's their right. It doesn't mean I don't care about their concerns, it doesn't mean I'm racist, and it doesn't make me a terrible person.
He could be the worst President we have ever had or, he could go down in history as one of the best, but either way, we will still be here 4 years from now.
ETA: We now have a First Lady who can carry a conversation with people in at least 5 different countries. Personally, I think that is awesome given we are normally a country that expects other countries to speak our language!

Last edited:
B, and he has signed more executive orders than any other
In the last 40 years worth of EO's, he's only signed more than Bush Sr. Carter, Reagan, Clinton and Bush Jr have all signed more than him.

ETA: Bush Sr was a 1 term President, so it makes sense he has less than Obama. Though, if he had served a 2nd term, he was on pace to issue more than Obama.

Because I don't listen to mainstream media who has been caught in almost as many lies as some of our candidates. I am far from a Republican with the exception of fiscal matters. I have lived with a President that gave me huge concern when he was elected, and he has signed more executive orders than any other and IMO has not been a good President, and although I am far worse off financially and socially than before he was elected, I'm still here and so is our country. I am not a Trump "supporter", but he is not what the media and their followers make him out to be. If you look back in time prior to when he began his campaign, he has done a lot of good things for a very wide range of people, but he doesn't feel the need to broadcast it. His campaign manager - a Mom to 4 kids. Remember Omarosa? The woman everyone loved to hate? He respected her enough to not only give her a job after The Apprentice, but also to hire her for his campaign. He has smart, confident, respectful children that are very involved in his life. That alone says a lot to me. As far as laws and policies, I don't think you are going to see major changes, but you may see the laws being upheld (imagine that?!). I am happy that my nephew and the vast majority of his "co-workers" who are in Kuwait protecting us are more comfortable with the election results.
I understand that there are people who feel completely different and that's their right. It doesn't mean I don't care about their concerns, it doesn't mean I'm racist, and it doesn't make me a terrible person.
He could be the worst President we have ever had or, he could go down in history as one of the best, but either way, we will still be here 4 years from now.
ETA: We now have a First Lady who can carry a conversation with people in at least 5 different countries. Personally, I think that is awesome given we are normally a country that expects other countries to speak our language!

Thanks for answering. It helps me understand both sides more.

The bold is 100% false. George W. Bush and 15 other Presidents issued more executive orders than Obama has.

The number of executive orders by every U.S. president | The Daily Dot

The bold is 100% false. George W. Bush and 15 other Presidents issued more executive orders than Obama has.

The number of executive orders by every U.S. president | The Daily Dot
I went and did more research after @NJ Coach responded and you are both correct, and I should take my own advice about the media lies since I read it on several "reputable" news sites. It doesn't change my reasoning for not being "terrified" with the election results and my dissatisfaction with the current administration (as a whole - I don't strictly blame Obama).

i have an extremely hard time believing trump will try to make things affordable. He may be all for scrapping obamacare, which had a lot of hopes and promises but in the end was a complete failure (from personal experience of having to be on obamacare, it sucked. bad) but that doesnt mean he's going to make healthcare affordable.

I think he'll make healthcare slightly more affordable. Not more affordable than it was pre-Obama, premiums were on the rise long before the ACA happened, and I'm sure that the new rates for 2017 being released a few weeks before the election did nothing to help Hillary. But by gutting the ACA, allowing insurance companies to exclude those with pre-existing conditions, and re-allowing the crappy high deductible low coverage plans that the ACA got rid of, I do think premiums will go down for many Americans. It's just going to be at the expense of millions of others and at the expense of the quality of their plans. It's like when we compare auto insurance prices here (which I think we've done a few times). Without talking about the level of coverage, how much (or how little) we pay is meaningless.

I actually don't have a problem with some of what he wants to introduce for healthcare. Allowing insurance to compete across state lines is not a bad idea, and HSAs are great. Currently I can get one through work only if I pick the high deductible plan. Allowing all Americans to donate pre-tax money to health savings accounts is a good idea. If it's not used for healthcare expenses, it's retirement savings. That being said, it does allow another avenue for high income earners who are probably already maxing out their 401Ks and Roth IRAs to save money pretax. But it's not a huge sum of money.

Last edited:
I went and did more research after @NJ Coach responded and you are both correct, and I should take my own advice about the media lies since I read it on several "reputable" news sites. It doesn't change my reasoning for not being "terrified" with the election results and my dissatisfaction with the current administration (as a whole - I don't strictly blame Obama).

If it makes you feel any better, my mom argued the same point to me this weekend and she was shocked when I showed her she was wrong.

If we want to get more specific, Obama has issued more Presidential Memoranda than his predecessors, but they aren't the same thing as Executive Orders. I think that's where the confusion comes in.

I think Trump's SCOTUS nominee(s?) could potentially set our country back decades. That worries me significantly more than some of his staffing picks do, but I haven't researched a ton about them.

The refusal to schedule hearings for Merrick Garland is absolutely insane. I wish Trump would come forward and call for a vote on him. Garland is reasonable and moderate, but we're going to hold out (unlawfully) like whiny babies to get a conservative on the court, then rush him through.

I hope Democrats do everything in their power to block Trump's nomination, whenever it comes.

Back