OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Maybe we'll see that, but I think that that's a fast path to losing more voters.

If I took that approach, I'd vote Republican. I don't think there's anything from the last 8 years that republicans could revert that would affect me. Planned Parenthood defunding - never been there in my life. Repealing gay marriage - doesn't affect me and I live in MA which has had gay marriage for 12 years. ACA - no copays for my annual physical and birth control is cool I guess, but I have an FSA from which I can pay for those things and I get my insurance through work, not an exchange. Plus MA is the home of the original ObamaCare - RomneyCare. I'm pretty sure I don't actually make less than my male peers - I know I make more than my husband and we work in the same industry. Obviously BLM doesn't impact me directly either.

At least if I voted Republican, my taxes would be less. But I don't vote the way I do for me, and I know many women who marched this weekend who feel the same way. I didn't march this weekend, or any weekend, but I like to think that a big staple of liberalism is standing up for others, so I really hope that that isn't what the next 4 years will be. If that's what it becomes it will be a party made up of only minorities.

Well to be fair I'm black and I vote democratic on social issues because I've been conditioned to look out for the best interest of her fellow man. I could easily vote republican. No I wouldn't vote Trump republican, but if the candidate were worthy, sure. My father votes republican (he didn't say who he voted for this election odds are not Trump).

My issue though, is not always the Republican Party itself but a lot of the times those who vote republican here in my experience haven't taken to kindly to "my kind" so they would have to work to at least appear to be more inclusive.

I just see less voter turn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I don't disagree with you, they should have taken their trash with them. Focusing on the trash is just such a lame attempt to discredit the whole thing. As if their arguments are now null and void because they left a bunch of trash behind even though the NPS has already said the cleanup hasn't been that bad, that trash was left in neat piles by trash barrels and they're pretty used to it. That's what permits are for. NPS: Cleanup ‘going well’ after inauguration, Women’s March | WTOP
The photos I saw didn't reflect that. What I saw both from media outlets and individuals who participated posting on social media was stuff just dumped in the street with no regard. Lots of it. It seems to me they are trying to minimize what went on. For my part, the trash doesn't discredit the message, but it and many other actions I saw don't reflect well on the group. They were protesting for social justice for people who don't have what they do and they left their trash on the street for sanitation workers to deal with. While I don't agree with much of the crudeness that I saw, or the raging anger and hate I don't think it reflects the attitude or message of everyone that was there. There were people participating that definitely had a valid message and a reasoned and articulate way of presenting it. I don't think their fears with come to fruition, but I had no problems with them expressing their concerns.

I don't care for Donald Trump. I think he is arrogant, and a bit of a bully at times. I don't think he was the best man for this job. I don't agree with some of his decision making, but I don't think he is going to be the doom and gloom people are spilling right now. The world isn't ending. The sky isn't falling. What we are seeing is a generation that doesn't know how to handle losing throw a huge tantrum about it, and that tantrum is drowning out anyone with a reasonable argument.

It's simply politics as usual. For the record, the Democratic party is not looking out for their fellow man any more than the Republican party, no politician is. They are looking out for their bottom line and nothing else. Democratic policies are what they are to garner more votes and keep themselves in power, period. Same for Republican policies. Democrats rely on low information voters believing what they are told and voting the party line, and republicans often play on people's fears to achieve the same. I feel like people on both sides lose sight of that while they are flinging mud.

Maybe we'll see that, but I think that that's a fast path to losing more voters.

If I took that approach, I'd vote Republican. I don't think there's anything from the last 8 years that republicans could revert that would affect me. Planned Parenthood defunding - never been there in my life. Repealing gay marriage - doesn't affect me and I live in MA which has had gay marriage for 12 years. ACA - no copays for my annual physical and birth control is cool I guess, but I have an FSA from which I can pay for those things and I get my insurance through work, not an exchange. Plus MA is the home of the original ObamaCare - RomneyCare. I'm pretty sure I don't actually make less than my male peers - I know I make more than my husband and we work in the same industry. Obviously BLM doesn't impact me directly either.

At least if I voted Republican, my taxes would be less. But I don't vote the way I do for me, and I know many women who marched this weekend who feel the same way. I didn't march this weekend, or any weekend, but I like to think that a big staple of liberalism is standing up for others, so I really hope that that isn't what the next 4 years will be. If that's what it becomes it will be a party made up of only minorities.

You largely summed up why I vote Democratic 99.9% of the time.

You made me spit out my Pepsi.

I also read yesterday that people were asked to leave behind signs for the historical aspect. They planned on collecting them because of the historical significance. I don't remember who was in charge of that though.
I read they were doing that in Boston as well.

FWIW, I don't disagree with you, they should have taken their trash with them. Focusing on the trash is just such a lame attempt to discredit the whole thing. As if their arguments are now null and void because they left a bunch of trash behind even though the NPS has already said the cleanup hasn't been that bad, that trash was left in neat piles by trash barrels and they're pretty used to it. That's what permits are for. NPS: Cleanup ‘going well’ after inauguration, Women’s March | WTOP

Lol you linked the same article I did.

The photos I saw didn't reflect that. What I saw both from media outlets and individuals who participated posting on social media was stuff just dumped in the street with no regard. Lots of it. It seems to me they are trying to minimize what went on. For my part, the trash doesn't discredit the message, but it and many other actions I saw don't reflect well on the group. They were protesting for social justice for people who don't have what they do and they left their trash on the street for sanitation workers to deal with. While I don't agree with much of the crudeness that I saw, or the raging anger and hate I don't think it reflects the attitude or message of everyone that was there. There were people participating that definitely had a valid message and a reasoned and articulate way of presenting it. I don't think their fears with come to fruition, but I had no problems with them expressing their concerns.

What we are seeing is a generation that doesn't know how to handle losing throw a huge tantrum about it, and that tantrum is drowning out anyone with a reasonable argument..

To reiterate nothing on our actual news has said this was an issue. I can't even find a non-biased opinion on besides what has already been shared. And for the record, DC is not like this pristine place to begin with . I know some people left stuff behind for many of DC's homeless. I can't speak on other cities but you mentioned DC in the OP so.

I was there. I was there for from 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening. There were no arrests. There was no violence, people were cooperating with law enforcement. They didn't realize there would be that many people there, and when they had to reroute people, everyone complied.

And you don't think fears will come to fruition? You don't think women will lose their reproductive rights when that's what has been proposed prior to the inauguration? You don't think the safety of women on college campuses are at risk when we have sect. of education who can't even formulate a response to a question to if she will work to make sure Title 9 will stay in place?

Like previous posters some of these things won't effect me much. I have private insurance now but there's a chance I won't get to stay on my parents plan. I've never needed PP but I know many girls who have. But I'm not really thinking about me. I'm thinking about my friends, and all the people who have bigger issues at stake. Like their families being torn apart or possibly dying because they can't afford to get the help they need.

Lol you linked the same article I did.

To reiterate nothing on our actual news has said this was an issue. I can't even find a non-biased opinion on besides what has already been shared. And for the record, DC is not like this pristine place to begin with . I know some people left stuff behind for many of DC's homeless. I can't speak on other cities but you mentioned DC in the OP so.

I was there. I was there for from 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening. There were no arrests. There was no violence, people were cooperating with law enforcement. They didn't realize there would be that many people there, and when they had to reroute people, everyone complied.

And you don't think fears will come to fruition? You don't think women will lose their reproductive rights when that's what has been proposed prior to the inauguration? You don't think the safety of women on college campuses are at risk when we have sect. of education who can't even formulate a response to a question to if she will work to make sure Title 9 will stay in place?

Like previous posters some of these things won't effect me much. I have private insurance now but there's a chance I won't get to stay on my parents plan. I've never needed PP but I know many girls who have. But I'm not really thinking about me. I'm thinking about my friends, and all the people who have bigger issues at stake. Like their families being torn apart or possibly dying because they can't afford to get the help they need.
That depends on what you call actual news.

No, I don't think anyone is going to lose their actual rights to anything, no I don't think a new president is a "get out of rape free" card for coeds (although the secretary of ed nominee IS useless) No, I don't think anyone is going to lose access to health care. If anything, those who cannot afford care on the market place will be in better shape. Obamacare has done nothing but raise premiums and lower coverage for the segment of the population that needs it most, lower middle class working people. It has failed in its aim.

I don't think the Feds should be involved in PP at all. It should be privatized. A women's reproductive choice should be 100% her own. No one has any business telling her what she should do or pressuring her. She has every right to make the choice that works for her. But free or nearly free abortion on demand isn't a right. Neither is free birth control. If a woman chooses to put herself in the situation to need either, she should be responsible for the results. ( with the obvious exception of crime victims) If private individuals choose to donate to causes that defray the cost of those choices, that is great. I applaud anyone who chooses to donate to charity of any kind. My donation goes to children's care charities like the local children's home because that is what I feel passionate about, children with no ability to help themselves. Adults make their own choices, children largely don't have that power.mThe government shouldn't be involved in paying for reproductive choice, nor should it be involved in restricting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That depends on what you call actual news.

No, I don't think anyone is going to lose their actual rights to anything, no I don't think a new president is a "get out of rape free" card for coeds (although the secretary of ed nominee IS useless) No, I don't think anyone is going to lose access to health care. If anything, those who cannot afford care on the market place will be in better shape. Obamacare has done nothing but raise premiums and lower coverage for the segment of the population that needs it most, lower middle class working people. It has failed in its aim.

I don't think the Feds should be involved in PP at all. It should be privatized. A women's reproductive choice should be 100% her own. No one has any business telling her what she should do or pressuring her. She has every right to make the choice that works for her. But free or nearly free abortion on demand isn't a right. Neither is free birth control. If a woman chooses to put herself in the situation to need either, she should be responsible for the results. ( with the obvious exception of crime victims) If private individuals choose to donate to causes that defray the cost of those choices, that is great. I applaud anyone who chooses to donate to charity of any kind. My donation goes to children's care charities like the local children's home. The government shouldn't be involved in paying for reproductive choice, nor should it be involved in restricting it.

Actual news...like my local ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS affiliates and WTOP the top news source in the district.

He might not be the get out of rape free card but he is empowering people who think that way. Who have a record of promoting policies that limit women and minorities. As both, I'm scared.

Again to each their own. But PP isn't just abortions. It's all the women's health issues. Scarlett Johansson discussed how she used PP when she was already working in Hollywood. How she had friends that went to PP and got a screening and they detected an illness early. And don't forget BC is not just for contraceptives.

Actual news...like my local ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS affiliates and WTOP the top news source in the district.

He might not be the get out of rape free card but he is empowering people who think that way. Who have a record of promoting policies that limit women and minorities. As both, I'm scared.

Again to each their own. But PP isn't just abortions. It's all the women's health issues. Scarlett Johansson discussed how she used PP when she was already working in Hollywood. How she had friends that went to PP and got a screening and they detected an illness early. And don't forget BC is not just for contraceptives.

I haven't seen Trump "empower" any of that. Those people have existed and will continue to. Trump didn't create the problem and isn't fanning the flames. You can't blame him for what private individuals are choosing to do.

As I said PP does good work, and people who choose to support it should continue doing so. I just don't think the government has any business involved in any of it, any more than they should have any say in my husbands PSA screening. I am all for private charities who want to provide for this, but it isn't the governments responsibility.

You forget that not every prescription for birth control is dispensed for its intended purpose. A lot of people use it to counteract a hormone imbalance, for acne, and an attempt to regulate and also relive menstrual cramps. Because it has so many uses beyond what it is marketed as, I don't see why making birth control more affordable is a negative.

No one said it was. I don't think government funding of planned parenthood is the way to do that however. An overhaul of Obamacare to allow for more competition and less regulation and privatization of PP would, IMO be more effective.

While we're on the topic, sort of... for those not in a place to make larger donations to PP but who frequent Amazon, Planned Parenthood is an option for Amazon Smile.

(and for anyone not using AmazonSmile for any of their chosen charities, do it! 0.5% of all eligible purchases gets donated to the charity you choose at no cost to you, simply for buying what you were going to buy anyway.)

So take your protest sign home rather than throwing it in the street for others to clean up. Its basic social responsibility. And for the record, if a trash can is full, that doesn't mean you throw your trash in the street. I have seen less of a mess after a Mardi Gras parade. You brought it there, take it with you when you leave. But that isn't the mentality, the mentality is "we are mad right now, we will stick it to the new administration and let them deal with it" but it isn't Trump cleaning it up, its the people you are supposedly marching for. I agree with some of what this march was about, but I don't agree with the cavalier way they just dumped trash for the "little people" to deal with.

Do you remember the posts from NCA a year or two ago? Should the people have taken their trash home with them because the trash cans were full? As long as people made an effort to get it as close to the trash cans as possible it shouldn't matter.

I haven't seen Trump "empower" any of that. Those people have existed and will continue to. Trump didn't create the problem and isn't fanning the flames. You can't blame him for what private individuals are choosing to do.

As I said PP does good work, and people who choose to support it should continue doing so. I just don't think the government has any business involved in any of it, any more than they should have any say in my husbands PSA screening. I am all for private charities who want to provide for this, but it isn't the governments responsibility.

You do realize that Paul Ryan proposed moving the money to other government funded community health centers, right? That is not less government involvement.

I, for one, don't trust the government with that considering the last time they tried that with community mental health centers they ended up not getting the proper funding and thousands of people with serious mental illnesses ended up on the street because a vast majority of asylums were defended and closed in favor of these centers...that nobody ever put effort into after the act was passed.

While we're on the topic, sort of... for those not in a place to make larger donations to PP but who frequent Amazon, Planned Parenthood is an option for Amazon Smile.

(and for anyone not using AmazonSmile for any of their chosen charities, do it! 0.5% of all eligible purchases gets donated to the charity you choose at no cost to you, simply for buying what you were going to buy anyway.)

I love Amazon Smile. I use it to donate to my HS Scholarship foundation-Me and my brother both received $10,000 scholarships and it's my favorite way to give back to the foundation until I get a real job.

Do you remember the posts from NCA a year or two ago? Should the people have taken their trash home with them because the trash cans were full? As long as people made an effort to get it as close to the trash cans as possible it shouldn't matter.

But they didn't. They just threw it in the street. I have seen a MANY photos of signs, hundreds at a time throw in the gutter.

You do realize that Paul Ryan proposed moving the money to other government funded community health centers, right? That is not less government involvement.

I, for one, don't trust the government with that considering the last time they tried that with community mental health centers they ended up not getting the proper funding and thousands of people with serious mental illnesses ended up on the street because a vast majority of asylums were defended and closed in favor of these centers...that nobody ever put effort into after the act was passed.

You really think the government run things well with respect to anyone's health care? I think the government needs to get OUT of health care. The situation of mental health I this country is terrible, for sure. Insurance companies are unwilling to cover it adequately because they rely on the facilities you are talking about, but many of those asylums that closed were worse than no care at all. There was one within 100 miles of me that was doing way more harm than good. It was full of corruption and kickbacks with very little actual patient care. It needed to be closed.

Back