OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So why do you trust the government with Obamacare care? The situation of mental health I this country is terrible, for sure. Insurance companies are unwilling to cover it adequately, but many of those asylums that closed were worse than no care at all. There was one within 100 miles of me that was doing way more harm than good. It was full of corruption and kickbacks with very little actual patient care. It needed to be closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And replaced with nothing? Putting thousands of people on the streets and in jail?

Why not fix it or give it the funding it was supposed to receive?

Which is exactly what, in my opinion, we need to do with ACA. Fix it. Adjust it. But for the love of God, don't repeal before you replace it with something. That doesn't make any sense to me. Kasich wrote a great opinion piece for Time on this same subject. I'll link it below.

John Kasich: The GOP Must Fix Obamacare Properly

Asylums closing isn't necessarily related to the government; desinstitutionalisation became popular in the psychiatric field because some people feel that community-based treatment is better than in an institution of some kind. (Which proved to be a wee bit of a bad idea in Vancouver's case.)
Mental health care in Canada is also kind of a mess because laws regarding treatment are up to each province/territory, which has lead to some people going to a different province to avoid forced treatment. Governments are never going to fully 'get out' of mental health care.

You're right. In this case, I was just referring to the asylums closing because of the promise of community health centers that never came to fruition. States reduced the amount of beds in their hospitals because in the hospitals/asylums, the states are responsible for all of the cost of that patients medical care while they were there. It was extremely expensive and the quality of care for the patients was horrendous and inhumane. The states figured that at least in the community health centers, the federal government funds would help out with the bills. I believe this happened largely after Medicaid came into play.

I'm in a counseling master's program, and we talked quite a bit about this last semester. It was a great idea, community mental health centers are really beneficial when done properly and adequately funded, but that just didn't happen in this case.

I'm stumped and hoping someone has an idea or suggestion.

I do a lot of the bulletin boards at the school my kids go to. Normally I can come up with a few different ideas that are themes and teachers pick what they want and I create. This year, one of the new 1st grade teachers has asked me to do a Valentine's Day Black History Month mash-up that emcompasses both. We agree on a unity wreathe (cut outs of boys and girls representing multiple ethnicity's holding hands in a big circle) and I'll do a pink background to make it pop. Hearts will be filled out by the kids to be placed up, but I am at a loss for a phrase or saying to go with it.

This is the same school that had zero issues with me putting up the word 'Christmas' without an issue so not much is off limits. I want to do something meaningful but also graspable for her 6-7 year olds. The only thing I've come up with is "When We DREAM Together Anything Is Possible" which would be an ode to MLK Jr. but it's bulky and kind of long.

Posting a picture to show the space I have to work with...thoughts? Or, suggestions? It's getting done this week and I want it to be exactly what she wants.

15977312_10154023221521682_6928010971026305224_n.jpg

My BHM bulletin display (grades 6-8) says #BlackHistoryMatters, and then I created a mixture of tweets from Civil Rights Leaders from present day all the way to way back when. Some the kids will know right off the bat and some they won't. I used short by encouraging quotes each person as their "tweet" and then I hashtagged who they were (#Poet #SocialActivist etc)

If I want to be extra petty I would go and put a sub heading about tweeting kindness and not whatever foolishness Trump tweets....and I probably will do it once I find a way to word it

I'll be honest with you because that's the only way to be. I would check Pinterest for a new idea. I don't see what a unity wreath of all different types of people has to do with black history, although it's nice and inclusive.....that's not what BHM is for. The display should be about black history.

For something timely I'd do Black Astronauts and contributors to science. Like create a space ship and then have figures that depict Ron McNair, the ladies from hidden figures , Charles Bolden etc

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So holy crap La La Land has been nominated for 14 Oscars. This is breaking The Artist's record, right?

Imagine if they win all or even most of them, on TOP of the 7 Golden Globe wins?

And I still haven't seen the movie yet. But the trailers looked incredible. And Ryan learned to play the piano in a few weeks.

So holy crap La La Land has been nominated for 14 Oscars. This is breaking The Artist's record, right?

Imagine if they win all or even most of them, on TOP of the 7 Golden Globe wins?

And I still haven't seen the movie yet. But the trailers looked incredible. And Ryan learned to play the piano in a few weeks.
CP and I really want to see this, but it hasn't been to a theater in our area!

My BHM bulletin display (grades 6-8) says #BlackHistoryMatters, and then I created a mixture of tweets from Civil Rights Leaders from present day all the way to way back when. Some the kids will know right off the bat and some they won't. I used short by encouraging quotes each person as their "tweet" and then I hashtagged who they were (#Poet #SocialActivist etc)

If I want to be extra petty I would go and put a sub heading about tweeting kindness and not whatever foolishness Trump tweets....and I probably will do it once I find a way to word it

I'll be honest with you because that's the only way to be. I would check Pinterest for a new idea. I don't see what a unity wreath of all different types of people has to do with black history, although it's nice and inclusive.....that's not what BHM is for. The display should be about black history.

For something timely I'd do Black Astronauts and contributors to science. Like create a space ship and then have figures that depict Ron McNair, the ladies from hidden figures , Charles Bolden etc

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying Erin. I agree that BHM and Valentine's Day don't really go together. I got her board done today after she sketched out what she wanted. It's more unity than BHM but it's what she pushed for (the teacher is African American if that matters). One of the 6th grade teachers asked me to do a BHM board next week and I'm stealing your tweets idea. That is awesome and I'll definitely be able to highlight specific people of color instead of the concept of unity.

I know enough police officers who have been injured or killed doing their jobs that blue lives matter to me. ALL lives matter to me.

There are no "blue" human beings. This statement totally negates the history of our country. Some people just lose their minds over the phrase BLM. It's not against police. It's just saying black lives matter too, and trigger happy "contempt of cop" police should be held accountable.

There are no "blue" human beings. This statement totally negates the history of our country. Some people just lose their minds over the phrase BLM. It's not against police. It's just saying black lives matter too, and trigger happy "contempt of cop" police should be held accountable.
No, all police officers are not good cops. Clearly. But all BLM supporters are also not above reproach either. While I am well aware that it is not the aim of the group as a whole or representative of the majority, there are many who support BLM who DO believe it is against the police. They feel justified in committing violence against officers in the name of BLM. Violence against police officers is on the increase. they have reason to be cautious.

I won't apologize for supporting good cops who only want to protect and serve. I feel sorry for people like the female officer who recently allowed herself to be beaten nearly to death rather than take the risk of shooting at a black suspect just as much and the very few isolated cases where police officers were out of line. It is 100% wrong for an officer to abuse their position. It is reprehensible and those officers should definitely be held accountable, but every officer that has to shoot someone is NOT out of line. A good officer should not have to stop and consider whether shooting this person is going to land them in a media firestorm when defending their lives from someone trying to take it, but sadly in this day and age they often do. Frankly, if someone chose to point a gun at me, attack me with a knife, or threaten my life in any other way. I wouldn't care what color they were. I would be protecting myself first. I think cops have the right to do the same. Some who support BLM don't think so, and I have a problem with that.

Cops put their life on the line daily protecting us. People tend to forget that in these discussions. My CP has a friend whose father was shot and almost killed while responding to a robbery call. His partner shot the suspect before he could shoot again and saved his life. I am glad it happened before this nonsense because his partner might have hesitated and cost a good man his life if he had to worry about the color of the person he was shooting at. Cops shouldn't have to stop and consider whether they are going to be crucified in the media before defending themselves.

I'm on the fence when it comes to the whole BLM movement. I supported it in the beginning, but I think a lot of people have taken it to the extreme.
I don't like or understand the fact that when a cop is trying to just do their job whether it's writing a speeding ticket or arresting a drunk, and people decide to whip out their phones and record, while trying to act like a douche to get the cop to react in a bad light for the sake of trying to make a video go viral, etc. Or claim racism and hate.

I'm on the fence when it comes to the whole BLM movement. I supported it in the beginning, but I think a lot of people have taken it to the extreme.
I don't like or understand the fact that when a cop is trying to just do their job whether it's writing a speeding ticket or arresting a drunk, and people decide to whip out their phones and record, while trying to act like a douche to get the cop to react in a bad light for the sake of trying to make a video go viral, etc. Or claim racism and hate.
ITA.

A lot of the lives that have been lost due to police brutality start with scenarios very similar to this a lot of people of color are apprehensive when it comes to law enforcement. A couple of months ago I was stopped by an officer while driving immediately started panicking and called my mother and put the phone down on the dash so she could everything in hope that if something were to happen there would be a trail of some kind because I know the rhetoric that the mainstream media would try to use.In the circumstance I were to be stopped again I'll most likely do the same and tell my children to the same.

A lot of the lives that have been lost due to police brutality start with scenarios very similar to this a lot of people of color are apprehensive when it comes to law enforcement. A couple of months ago I was stopped by an officer while driving immediately started panicking and called my mother and put the phone down on the dash so she could everything in hope that if something were to happen there would be a trail of some kind because I know the rhetoric that the mainstream media would try to use.In the circumstance I were to be stopped again I'll most likely do the same and tell my children to the same.
That rhetoric would have been in your favor not the cop's. Its sad that you feel the need to do that, and that's the media's fault. Honestly, all police aren't racist pigs. VERY VERY few of them are bad apples and the media has blown those so out of proportion that it has made people like you fearful. They have also taken situations where officers have legitimately used force for the protection of themselves and the public and tried to spin them to their own agenda. That is sad.

No policeman in their right mind WANTS to have an altercation with anyone. They don't want to fill out the MOUNTIANS of paperwork or go through the review process necessary any time that have use force. Policemen aren't "out to get" anyone. The vast majority just want to go home to their families at the end of the night. It's so sad that the media has turned so many people against those trying to protect them.

Last edited:
That rhetoric would have been in your favor not the cop's. Its sad that you feel the need to do that, and that's the media's fault. Honestly, all police aren't racist pigs. VERY VERY few of them are bad apples and the media has blown those so out of proportion that it has made people like you fearful. That is sad. No policeman in their right mind WANTS to have an altercation with anyone. They don't want to fill out the MOUNTIANS of paperwork or go through the review process necessary any time that have use force. Policemen aren't "out to get" anyone. The vast majority just want to go home to their families at the end of the night. It's so sad that the media has turned so many people against those trying to protect them.

I'm not saying abuses don't happen, they do. But contrary to what the media would have us believe they are the very rare exception rather than the rule. Most cops would rather do anything than have to use force on someone. If there is a way to peacefully resolve the situation, it is in the cop's best interest to find it.

The rhetoric would have twisted against as it usually is for many POC in these situations. The media only shows whats happening, don't blame the media blame the broken system. I never said all cops are bad I have several in my family. If a "good cop" doesn't speak out or do something when they see injustice they are not a "good cop."

I could careless about the mountain of paperwork when innocent lives are taken. These scenarios have been happening across the country for years this isn't new this is a reality for many.

The rhetoric would have twisted against as it usually is for many POC in these situations. The media only shows whats happening, don't blame the media blame the broken system. I never said all cops are bad I have several in my family. If a "good cop" doesn't speak out or do something when they see injustice they are not a "good cop."

I could careless about the mountain of paperwork when innocent lives are taken. These scenarios have been happening across the country for years this isn't new this is a reality for many.
I think you are dead wrong about the rhetoric. The media doesn't just report what's happening, and I cannot believe anyone in this day and age can truly believe that every media outlet isn't pushing their own agenda, that being ratings and money for them. They are reporting what sells and gets viewership. Currently that is trashing police. The rhetoric in EVERY police involved shooting of a minority I have seen reported in recent years has ALWAYS immediately been that the cop is at fault and racially motivated until proven otherwise.

I don't think you get my point with the paperwork. No cop wants to go through an internal affairs review, which happens for every officer involved shooting. It is months of agony. Constant questioning and paperwork. Just waiting for them to slip up so they can be crucified in the media and the department can be praised for "doing the right thing". No cop wants to put themselves through that, so WHY would they shoot someone just because? The answer is that 99% of them wouldn't and there is something wrong with the tiny group that would.

Back