OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Goofy and Dopey are part of Marathon weekend in January Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend | Official Site | runDisney
All the weekends have challenges for doing multiple of the longer distance races.

You do not need a ticket to get into the expo. They don't advertise it and will even tell people no, but they do have "emergency" bib pick up the morning of the race if you need to, but you do have to go the expo for the shirt. The expo is massive and is usually very crowded early on the first day so I would avoid going then. The Wine & Dine weekend is the next one I want to do, just wish I lived a little bit closer haha

That looks like a fun one and would make an awesome Christmas present experience for both of my kids. Do you need to have park admission in order to be near the course, pick someone up? We'd like make it a weekend anyway, but just in case, is it mandatory?

CP is currently training for her first 10K, but she is about a year and a half too young for a Disney 10K. Those challenges look awesome!

Has anyone done any races at Disney World before? If so, what was your experience like? I know I can find lots of reviews, but figured I'd see if anyone I 'knew' had done it. CP is old enough to do the 5k's and CP2 can go to Kids 1-mile so they would both do their thing. CP2 only wants to run because of CP; not too surprising since that is the only reason she cheers, but she's successfully completed a 1 mile solo so figure she could tack on a few more if she wanted too.

I've done the 1/2, the full, and the Goofy Challenge. If you stay at the resorts you can take the shuttle to the Expo and to the race and it's all really easy. I've always wanted to do one of the other themed ones but could never fit it into my schedule. But running through the parks is awesome. Not sure about the Wine and Dine, but the full takes you behind the scenes. Definitely pricier than other races but the medals are cool :)

That looks like a fun one and would make an awesome Christmas present experience for both of my kids. Do you need to have park admission in order to be near the course, pick someone up? We'd like make it a weekend anyway, but just in case, is it mandatory?

CP is currently training for her first 10K, but she is about a year and a half too young for a Disney 10K. Those challenges look awesome!
I believe they are changing the course for the Wine & Dine 5K this year so I'm not sure where that will be. The January one starts and ends right outside of Epcot and there is an area for spectators at the finish line. I don't believe you are allowed inside Epcot during the race. The races all start well before the parks open (except the kids races), and you don't need any park admission to get to or from the races. The half and full run through Magic Kingdom before the park opens and spectators are allowed in there without any park tickets (the castle is still lit up for Christmas, so pretty to see in the early morning). Though this probably won't apply to you at this point, but if you do go in January and want to wake up super early Saturday or Sunday and go watch the runners it's a good place, my mom had a great time there haha.

Disney was my first full marathon and I don't think anything else will ever compare, might be the only one I ever do more than once.

I've done the 1/2, the full, and the Goofy Challenge. If you stay at the resorts you can take the shuttle to the Expo and to the race and it's all really easy. I've always wanted to do one of the other themed ones but could never fit it into my schedule. But running through the parks is awesome. Not sure about the Wine and Dine, but the full takes you behind the scenes. Definitely pricier than other races but the medals are cool :)
The medals are the best!! I love my Goofy one so much!

I believe they are changing the course for the Wine & Dine 5K this year so I'm not sure where that will be. The January one starts and ends right outside of Epcot and there is an area for spectators at the finish line. I don't believe you are allowed inside Epcot during the race. The races all start well before the parks open (except the kids races), and you don't need any park admission to get to or from the races. The half and full run through Magic Kingdom before the park opens and spectators are allowed in there without any park tickets (the castle is still lit up for Christmas, so pretty to see in the early morning). Though this probably won't apply to you at this point, but if you do go in January and want to wake up super early Saturday or Sunday and go watch the runners it's a good place, my mom had a great time there haha.

Disney was my first full marathon and I don't think anything else will ever compare, might be the only one I ever do more than once.

Some of my best pictures are of the castle all lit up in the dark. Not a great race to go for a PR as you stop to get pictures with the characters along the way :)

Oh yea, you have to get up super early for the races (at least the January ones) I want to say they want you on the buses at 4am? For the full, the parks do open while you're racing so they have parts blocked off while you're running through Hollywood Studios and then when you get back to Epcot. Lots of crowd support by then!

That is awesome information. CP has been running local races for the past year and she is really into it. Her school has a short Nov-Feb running club and this is their 'end of the season' run. She ended up qualifying for a 2nd place medal last year and the running bug has been strong since. I guess I'll count my blessings that Disney is local for us so signing her up and running isn't a huge commitment, but they definitely sound like awesome races.

Some of my best pictures are of the castle all lit up in the dark. Not a great race to go for a PR as you stop to get pictures with the characters along the way :)

Oh yea, you have to get up super early for the races (at least the January ones) I want to say they want you on the buses at 4am? For the full, the parks do open while you're racing so they have parts blocked off while you're running through Hollywood Studios and then when you get back to Epcot. Lots of crowd support by then!

Pictures along the way sounds cool. To do the half you have to be 10 and to do the full 14 so we've got a few years before we tackle that, but a January race sounds awesome---Florida summer weather is no fun to run during! Or be our spectating for!

That is awesome information. CP has been running local races for the past year and she is really into it. Her school has a short Nov-Feb running club and this is their 'end of the season' run. She ended up qualifying for a 2nd place medal last year and the running bug has been strong since. I guess I'll count my blessings that Disney is local for us so signing her up and running isn't a huge commitment, but they definitely sound like awesome races.

Pictures along the way sounds cool. To do the half you have to be 10 and to do the full 14 so we've got a few years before we tackle that, but a January race sounds awesome---Florida summer weather is no fun to run during! Or be our spectating for!
I'd also say that at least 80-90% of runners dress up in some kind of disney character costume/outfit, especially for the 5ks . I have seen some of the most amazing and creative costumes there.

I'd also say that at least 80-90% of runners dress up in some kind of disney character costume/outfit, especially for the 5ks . I have seen some of the most amazing and creative costumes there.

Good to know. I have a few friends who make costumes so I will have to hit them up.

Found this fantastic article/broadcast about the value of teaching kids to embrace struggle as opportunity and not necessarily indication of weakness. Still working on doing that myself.

Also since we're on the topic of learning and it IS Black History Month, I highly recommend the Marva Collins movie with Cicely Tyson and Morgan Freeman. A public school teacher in Chicago who got fed up with the public school system and started her own school teaching kids that had been failing in learning disability classes and got them to the point at which they were testing at least 5 grades above their level on the hardest standardized test (the Metropolitan something, I forgot the name).

haha dumb question, Could/do high school teams stack an advanced team into an intermediate team or a varsity team stacked into a JV team? I mean, I bet they could but I never hear anybody talk about it.

Back