OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Just went to Niagara (Canada side) for the weekend and while I had loads of fun my wallet is not pleased! So expensive. And I went to Starbucks twice and had HORRID customer service and they didn't even make my drink right! Gonna start bringing my own cooler with food with me when I go there because seriously it's too expensive lol also what's the hype with iHop ?! We went and it was one of the worst meals we've ever had at a restaurant.

You need to keep hydrating as well. Drink tons of water, and there is a tea called Mother's Milk which is supposed to help increase milk production. As for the poster who mentioned that what you eat should have no effect on the baby, untrue! If you eat gassy foods, it can result in an increase in gas in your baby. Stay away from beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and any other food known to cause gas. Anything spicy/well seasoned will also change the flavor of your milk; not that there is anything wrong with that, you should just be aware. And you will always produce more milk in a feeding than when pumping.

There is actually no research that shows that what causes gas in mom causes gas in baby. While the taste of breastmilk can change slightly based on what you eat, what passes on to baby is what passes into the blood. Broccoli, cauliflower, etc cause gas from their reaction with your intestinal flora and a healthy digestive system does not allow intestinal flora into the blood stream. Elimination diets are almost always unnecessary. Lactose content in breastmilk will cause upset if your child is lactose intolerant but lactose will be in breastmilk whether you eat dairy or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is actually no research that shows that what causes gas in mom causes gas in baby. While the taste of breastmilk can change slightly based on what you eat, what passes on to baby is what passes into the blood. Broccoli, cauliflower, etc cause gas from their reaction with your intestinal flora and a healthy digestive system does not allow intestinal flora into the blood stream. Elimination diets are almost always unnecessary. Lactose content in breastmilk will cause upset if your child is lactose intolerant but lactose will be in breastmilk whether you eat dairy or not.

How about first hand experience? I learned quickly which foods to avoid after almost killing my first born following a nice chilli dinner one night ;). The post-chilli breast feeding experience for her was not too fun! I always found my babies gasier after I ate typically gas-causing foods.

/Facebook friends stop reading now to save yourself annoyance with me/

My sorority, Sigma Kappa, is participating in the Walk to End Alzheimer's this weekend. For the last two years we've been the number one fundraising SK chapter in the nation, last year raising over $37,000 for Alzheimer's research. This year we've set our goal at $45,000! We're a little under a week away and we're 75% of the way there!
Of course we want to be the number one fundraising SK chapter and beat our goal, but this is more than just a title, a goal to break, or a million annoying posts. This is about ending Alzheimer's. Many of our chapter members, including myself, have lost someone to this disease. Maybe you have too, or you've known someone affected. By raising awareness and raising money for Alzheimer's research, we hope to find a cure for this disease that right now has no way of being prevented, slowed, or cured. It starts by taking away memories, and ends by taking lives.
Making a donation can help change this! There's no way to know when a breakthrough will be made, but it could be your $10 donation that makes a difference for the 5 million people suffering from this disease. If you want to help us end Alzheimer's, you can click the link below to donate! There's no minimum donation. Also it's free to sign up for the walk and they have them all over the country so if you want to join our efforts, check out the walks near you!
Walk to End Alzheimer's | Alzheimer's Association
If you're my facebook friend and actually read this, SORRY FOR POSTING ABOUT IT SO MUCH. It's a cause I feel very strongly about and I'm so so glad my chapter shows so much support - almost $100,000 in the four short years we've been back at Mizzou, and that's just from Walk fundraising and doesn't include our other philanthropy events! So yeah I've been posting a lot but it's for a good cause!

How about first hand experience? I learned quickly which foods to avoid after almost killing my first born following a nice chilli dinner one night ;). The post-chilli breast feeding experience for her was not too fun! I always found my babies gasier after I ate typically gas-causing foods.
Yep you're definitely not from NM. Would never happen here ;). East coasters right?

I wish I'd seen this earlier. I'm at my aunts in Harlem now and heading out early tomorrow. What part do you live in? My hotel was in Brooklyn

Queens lol. But I'm not shy about public transport and go anywhere all the time.

Queens lol. But I'm not shy about public transport and go anywhere all the time.

Queens and The Bronx were the only two areas I didn't got to all weekend.....well and Staten Island.

I actually liked public transportation (I took the subway everywhere) aside from the rats. So many rats. So disgusting.

Queens and The Bronx were the only two areas I didn't got to all weekend.....well and Staten Island.

I actually liked public transportation (I took the subway everywhere) aside from the rats. So many rats. So disgusting.

It's funny- I don't really even notice them anymore 'cause I'm usually really tired when I'm going home. My station in Queens is above ground- no rats. Pigeons though.

i don't have much of an option with supplementing...she will eat until I'm dry and still be hungry. it's not something i'm doing out of ease or just because, I literally haven't been consistently making enough milk (I know because after her feedings I would try and pump off the rest so I can start freezing milk for when I have to go back to work and she goes to daycare--so I know there is nothing left). At times I'll only produce 2 oz in a 3 hour span, and she consistently will eat 3-4 oz. I know breastfeeding helps keep the supply up, but I'm not going to let her cry because she didn't get enough and is still hungry. I'm trying to eat lots of oatmeal, almonds, and other "lactation stimulating" foods to try and increase it, but it's not happening as fast as she gets hungry.

Today was a much better day in terms of her not spitting up just because I would hold her upright after feedings instead of putting her in her swing--so I do think it's (thankfully) more in line with reflux--now I just have to make sure daddy is in the habit of doing the same thing instead of laying her down, which could prove to be the more difficult part when I'm not around ;)
My son was very similar. We actually had to resort to using a thickener in his bottles and it was like night and day, no more spitting up! Simply Thick and Thick It are 2 brands. They are available at most drugstores. We used simply thick packets. (Looked like ketchup packets.) Added it to his bottle and stirred. It was magical. And totally safe for a little one because it honestly has nothing in it, its not a medicine.

I was never able to successfully breastfeed with either of my kids. I saw several lactation consultants and tried it all, even medication. I just never produced enough. I remember the heartbreak of feeding my babies and then hearing them cry and having nothing for them, I feel for you. You do what you have to do, and sometimes it isnt your 1st choice but formula exists for a reason. I would have less than 2 oz collected at the end of a day of pumping every 2 hrs. It was horrible.

Last edited:
It's funny- I don't really even notice them anymore 'cause I'm usually really tired when I'm going home. My station in Queens is above ground- no rats. Pigeons though.

I was on the subway platform in Harlem at 3:30 am yesterday. Me. Two homeless guys. And a rat. :(

"Find the first rat" is a game I often play with the kids when we take the subway. And Staten Island really doesn't count anyway ;).

My son was very similar. We actually had to resort to using a thickener in his bottles and it was like night and day, no more spitting up! Simply Thick and Thick It are 2 brands. They are available at most drugstores and I think are used for diabetics or something, not sure. We used simply thick packets. (Looked like ketchup packets.) Added it to his bottle and stirred. It was magical. And totally safe for a little one because it honestly has nothing in it, its not a medicine.

I was never able to successfully breastfeed with either of my kids. I saw several lactation consultants and tried it all, even medication. I just never produced enough. I remember the heartbreak of feeding my babies and then hearing them cry and having nothing for them, I feel for you. You do what you have to do, and sometimes it isnt your 1st choice but formula exists for a reason. I would have less than 2 oz collected at the end of a day of pumping every 2 hrs. It was horrible.
Thick It is typically used for people who have difficulty swallowing thin liquids due to choking issues; it's great because you can really tweak the amount used to create the desired thickness and a little does a long way. But works great for babies too, especially if too young to add cereal to bottle to achieve same result.
Positioning for reflux - keeping in that upright position for 15-30 minutes after each feeding - probably best call right now, especially it seems to be working.

"Find the first rat" is a game I often play with the kids when we take the subway. And Staten Island really doesn't count anyway ;).

When I first got there any was by myself I honestly didn't notice/see them. But when my friend arrived that night she could spot them every where.... And then I started noticing them too.

There was one that has like a sac of something growing on it. I almost threw up.

Hi ladies! I just joined the Stella & Dot team as an independent stylist - yay! I am super excited because have been obsessed with S&D jewelry since my trunk show last year, and this new role gives me an opportunity to 1. stock up for myself and 2. spread the wealth and help my friends earn free jewelry too.

If you're in the MD/PA/DE area, I'd love to host a trunk show for you! It's as simple as gathering your girlfriends, popping open some wine, and trying on jewelry, scarves, and purses.

If you're not local, you can still shop the S&D styles via my personal website: stelladot.com/leahmurphy

9iburp.jpg

35hlrt2.jpg

Back