OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yeah, and I'm not exactly 100% happy here, I mean I enjoy it and all, but it could be better. It's a 4 hour plane ride from LA to ATL. But I feel as if I'd be transferring because I'm punking out.

Is going to school in LA very expensive for you? Tuition wise? Cost of living wise? Are you studying something that's beneficial to be in LA for? Would you need to work in a city like LA after graduation?

Wow I haven't been on here in forever. But if ANYONE could help give me a little advice that would be great, or if not I can just rant lol. So this year is my first year in college and I decided to go to school in LA. I'm from ATL so that's a very long distance. I'm considering transferring back home because I get homesick from time to time and just miss the comfort of home. My parents insist that I stay because if they had the chance to go they would. But I miss home so much. What would y'all do?

other than homesickness, are you not enjoying your time there? have you gotten involved at school, whether it be greek life, clubs, intramural sports, student government etc. etc.? have you made friends? have you gone out on the weekends (no, I don't mean drunk, just out with your friends doing fun things)? have you really explored your new town? all of these things are vital to college life and you will feel less homesick when you have that support system in place at school.

if you're still not happy, transferring is not the end of the world. I transferred after one semester and it was the best decision I made.. so it happens.

Is going to school in LA very expensive for you? Tuition wise? Cost of living wise? Are you studying something that's beneficial to be in LA for? Would you need to work in a city like LA after graduation?
I got tons of financial aid so it's not too expensive, but it's still way more than if I were to go home. Plus flights are about $500-600 when I go home. I have an on campus job so I get paid way more than if I were to get a job back home. And I plan on going into law so it doesn't really matter because both are big cities.

other than homesickness, are you not enjoying your time there? have you gotten involved at school, whether it be greek life, clubs, intramural sports, student government etc. etc.? have you made friends? have you gone out on the weekends (no, I don't mean drunk, just out with your friends doing fun things)? have you really explored your new town? all of these things are vital to college life and you will feel less homesick when you have that support system in place at school.

if you're still not happy, transferring is not the end of the world. I transferred after one semester and it was the best decision I made.. so it happens.
I've made tons of friends which I must say are better than my friends back home. I am in a few clubs and I am also on the cheerleading team which has been a complete nightmare to say the least. (The cheer team not the clubs). And I do go out. It is a bit expensive to go out considering I don't have a car out here and have to use Uber or Lyfts. I definitely plan on getting out way more because I have a lot more to explore. Thank you so much!

I've made tons of friends which I must say are better than my friends back home. I am in a few clubs and I am also on the cheerleading team which has been a complete nightmare to say the least. (The cheer team not the clubs). And I do go out. It is a bit expensive to go out considering I don't have a car out here and have to use Uber or Lyfts. I definitely plan on getting out way more because I have a lot more to explore. Thank you so much!
So I'm the transfer queen... Transferred 4 times. It sounds like you are having a good time but get homesick sometimes. Everyone gets homesick. Don't cheer next year if it's a complete nightmare, that's how my team was last year and I didn't try out again this year and I don't miss it for a second! It doesn't sound like you are completely miserable where you are, so I would say stay. We all get homesick sometimes, but you'll miss your friends if you leave. When I transferred to my 4th school I cried basically every day because I missed my friends, so since it sounds like you've made great friends and are involved in the school, I would stay if I was you. But if you're completely miserable, leave... I'm all for being happy!

I got tons of financial aid so it's not too expensive, but it's still way more than if I were to go home. Plus flights are about $500-600 when I go home. I have an on campus job so I get paid way more than if I were to get a job back home. And I plan on going into law so it doesn't really matter because both are big cities.

If going to school in LA is more money than going to school in GA, and you're using ANY loans to pay for it. I would go home. If you're studying law, you can study it anywhere. If you intend to go to law school that's just more possible student loan dept

I would finish the semester and go home

Like being from the post graduation real world, I'm not even taking happiness, homesickness or friends into consideration. If you can go to school for cheaper in GA...do it.

So I'm the transfer queen... Transferred 4 times. It sounds like you are having a good time but get homesick sometimes. Everyone gets homesick. Don't cheer next year if it's a complete nightmare, that's how my team was last year and I didn't try out again this year and I don't miss it for a second! It doesn't sound like you are completely miserable where you are, so I would say stay. We all get homesick sometimes, but you'll miss your friends if you leave. When I transferred to my 4th school I cried basically every day because I missed my friends, so since it sounds like you've made great friends and are involved in the school, I would stay if I was you. But if you're completely miserable, leave... I'm all for being happy!
Ahhh thank you so much! Lol four times is a lot omg. I'm not completely miserable, but cheer does suck here. Thanks! :)

If going to school in LA is more money than going to school in GA, and you're using ANY loans to pay for it. I would go home. If you're studying law, you can study it anywhere. If you intend to go to law school that's just more possible student loan dept

I would finish the semester and go home

Like being from the post graduation real world, I'm not even taking happiness, homesickness or friends into consideration. If you can go to school for cheaper in GA...do it.
That's what I was thinking, but my mom is a "You get what you pay for" type of woman. But I 100% understand your POV.

That's what I was thinking, but my mom is a "You get what you pay for" type of woman. But I 100% understand your POV.

Do you have student loans? Is mama gonna pay back those student loans for you? I could understand if you were out in LA majoring Brad Pitt...like something you can't do in Middle of nowhere, America....but you can study law at the local community college and be fine.

I feel the same way about people that are at private colleges with tons of loans and they're studying like education. Like you couldn't do that for cheaper at a state school ?

@allthatglitters - I can guarantee you that most of the people at your school are homesick, even if they don't show it. The first year of college is the worst in terms of the feeling like you belong there, making friends, homesickness, etc. It's only your first year, you'll find it gets easier after that. Going away to college is such a great experience but it comes with bumps along the way. If you're happy with your friends and you're happy with your school and you feel that the majority of this sad feeling comes from being away from home, I would definitely hold out on transferring. Being away from home is wicked hard at first and I pretty much cried every time I was dropped off at school after breaks my first year but it gets easier!

Do you have student loans? Is mama gonna pay back those student loans for you? I could understand if you were out in LA majoring Brad Pitt...like something you can't do in Middle of nowhere, America....but you can study law at the local community college and be fine.

I feel the same way about people that are at private colleges with tons of loans and they're studying like education. Like you couldn't do that for cheaper at a state school ?

Agreed. Unless this school is going to get you into a T1 law school, if you really miss home and it's cheaper, then I'd says go home.

I'm usually one for telling freshman to stick it out a year before transferring, which you'll have done. One semester, especially as a freshman, is usually not enough time. College is a big adjustment.

I wasn't sure where to post this but I saw on Twitter that Cheetahs won $25,000 at United Cheer today. Don't they already have a bid? If this isn't a bid then that is an awful lot of money to be giving as a prize! It's crazy to me that that team now has $50,000 to go to worlds with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think a couple of years ago Wildcats went to that (or it may have been a different comp) and won the money and gave it to one of the other CA teams that didn't have a paid bid (Swooshcats I think?), they might do that, that's a lot of money though.

I wasn't sure where to post this but I saw on Twitter that Cheetahs won $25,000 at United Cheer today. Don't they already have a bid? If this isn't a bid then that is an awful lot of money to be giving as a prize! It's crazy to me that that team now has $50,000 to go to worlds with...

the comp gives out $25,000, $10,000 and $5,000 to the top 3 scoring teams, respectively. last year I think CA's J5 won it and gave it to another team and wildcats have won before and gave it to Ladykatz, I believe. Cheetahs won 25k and Wildcats got 10k today. One of the Woodlands teams also got the 5k.

Thanks for the explanation! I've never heard of this happening before. Quick question though....if one team wins why do they give the money to another team? Surely it should go to reimbursing travel expenses for that teams members or even just back into the gym?

I think they just did it out of the kindness of their hearts to other CA teams who had not gotten paid to lessen the burden on them. they didn't have to. i think both times it was 100% the kids on the teams' choice to give the money away. i get what you're saying though. a "full paid" bid doesn't pay for everything and I am sure they could use the money, too.

There's not many paid bids available in Texas proportional to the talent, and usually none for ioc/io teams. Prize money usually helps other worlds and summit teams get to the mouse house. Not sure if it's official gym policy or it just worked that way when I was there. Either way I was very grateful!

Back