New To Coaching

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 30, 2015
Hello everyone!

I can't tell you how excited I am that a board like this exists! I was brought into my community high school because they were without a sponsor last October. To say that I almost drowned last season would be an understatement. I started more than halfway through the football season, and I was met with some pretty strong personalities.

However we made it through football and basketball season and we are a lot more organized this year, with the exception of uniforms. I wasn't aware how long it took for uniforms to be produced, so it looks like we're wearing t-shirts and shorts for the first two games! Ugh!

My question is, is there anything I should remember/know for this season? I've already taken care of the paperwork (i.e. contract, school forms, etc.) but still feel a bit unprepared. We've had summer practice, four times a week, and the squad is looking really good. 90 percent of them are new to cheer and I only have four returning (I had 12 seniors on the squad last year). I just don't want to let them down, as a coach.

I cheered through community college, but I'm 37 and that was some time ago!

Any tips you all can give would be awesome!

Hello everyone!

I can't tell you how excited I am that a board like this exists! I was brought into my community high school because they were without a sponsor last October. To say that I almost drowned last season would be an understatement. I started more than halfway through the football season, and I was met with some pretty strong personalities.

However we made it through football and basketball season and we are a lot more organized this year, with the exception of uniforms. I wasn't aware how long it took for uniforms to be produced, so it looks like we're wearing t-shirts and shorts for the first two games! Ugh!

My question is, is there anything I should remember/know for this season? I've already taken care of the paperwork (i.e. contract, school forms, etc.) but still feel a bit unprepared. We've had summer practice, four times a week, and the squad is looking really good. 90 percent of them are new to cheer and I only have four returning (I had 12 seniors on the squad last year). I just don't want to let them down, as a coach.

I cheered through community college, but I'm 37 and that was some time ago!

Any tips you all can give would be awesome!

It sounds like you're off to a great start! Remember things like signs, breakthroughs, water/gatorade, rides to games, rain jackets, cheers/games when you visit the opposing team's cheerleaders. And remember to keep emergency contact info, copies of insurance cards and physicals with you in case something happens (prayerfully not).

I agree with what was said above, but since you will be dealing with a fairly new team I suggest doing some "Ice breakers" the last thing you want on your team are cliques. Cliques can make almost anyone feel uncomfortable on the team if they're not apart of that clique.

You also want to make sure all your inventory is in before your first game. At least a month before your first game. So if any Seniors hasn't returned their uniforms be sure to get in contact with them, or their parents some how. If not, you may wound up having to order new uniforms all over again. A lot of seniors at my old high school didn't return their uniforms and the coach was stuck re-ordering x amount of uniforms. The same can be said about pom poms, props, etc.

You should also set up mandatory monthly parent meetings. This is to ensure that parents know exactly what's going on with the team at all times. Competitions, games, pep rallies etc. A lot of teens these days don't tell their parents information, or "forget" to tell them and there is always that one parent that didn't know something had to be paid, didn't know a fundraiser was this day or that day etc. Having parent meetings is a must in my book! They don't have long either! Just enough time for parents to ask any questions or concerns they may have!

I'll come back if I can think of more :)

Back