High School New To Flying Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jenniturtle

Cheer Parent
Mar 18, 2014
My CP made her high school JV team this year. She cheered allstar for two years and middle school one year. She has never been a flyer as there were always smaller girls on allstar and middle school teams. However she had a really good chance to fly on her JV team. She is 4'11 and very light, she is a figure skater so she is also very flexible. She has zero flying experience. her old allstar coach helped her a couple of times but she has cheer camp in another week. I am pretty sure positions will be assigned then.
Any suggestions for her? She has a stunt stand and practices with it but its not the same. She was hoping to practice this week and next with her old coach but she is on vacation.

Weight in arms, don't balance, always be pulling up through rib-cage (not shoulders), keep knees locked. In 2 leg skills, pull in with inner thighs.. don't pinch a penny, doesn't work. Also don't look down and the best advice I can give her is learn her body and stay tight. It should become second nature to someone who is a flyer.

1. You look down, you go down.

2. Don't try to balance yourself if you feel yourself bobbling. You will make it worse. Just stay tight.

3. If you ARE actually falling, don't flail your arms or anything. It's instinct to try to use your arms to try and break your fall, but don't. Flailing makes it really hard for your bases to catch you.

4. Point your toes in your body positions. No one wants to see a heel stretch with flexed feet.

5. Keep your legs together coming down!

Weight in arms, don't balance, always be pulling up through rib-cage (not shoulders), keep knees locked. In 2 leg skills, pull in with inner thighs.. don't pinch a penny, doesn't work. Also don't look down and the best advice I can give her is learn her body and stay tight. It should become second nature to someone who is a flyer.

I feel like Ive always been telling my kids to pull through shoulders ..
#epicfail
#learnsomethingnew

#epicfail
#learnsomethingnew

I inherited a pile of flyers whos shoulders were in their ears and they weren't hollow... plus even their high V's weren't positioned properly.. I asked what they were told in the past.... that... :) I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, the athletes know their bodies.

I inherited a pile of flyers whos shoulders were in their ears and they weren't hollow... plus even their high V's weren't positioned properly.. I asked what they were told in the past.... that... :) I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, the athletes know their bodies.

My team has cheer camp July 29-31 and I am going to take all of these tips and use them for sure lol

#epicfail
#learnsomethingnew
I've always taught lift up hollow through rib cage. UCA camp they constantly stressed pulling up through shoulders. It made me question life lol.

I've always taught lift up hollow through rib cage. UCA camp they constantly stressed pulling up through shoulders. It made me question life lol.

I get shoulders, but kids hear pull up through shoulders and they shrug their shoulders... Had I not inherited poorly trained tops, I would not have ever thought different.. so now if I have to give advice, I say ribs!

1. Stay tight
2. If you feel like your going to fall, fall backward (there is someone there to catch)
3. Trust your group, if you feel confident with your group you fly more confidently!
4. Smile!

Back