All-Star New Uniforms 2011-2012

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This worries me. Do people really think uniforms should be sexy? When we designed our uniforms, we wanted them to look athletic, clean, and be visual on the mat. I actually was aiming for the exact opposite of sexy- kids wear these...

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I just think that all-star cheer is more than just a sport. If we wanted it to be all about the skill, we'd all just wear t-shirts and shorts like any other sport. But the performance aspect is huge and that's part of what makes it so fun. All-star cheer is the only sport where athletes work insanely hard on the floor, and yet they always look good and always have a smile on their faces.

I think the glitz and glitter of all-star cheer is really what sets it apart and makes it both a performance and a sport. Uniforms are meant to be fabulous and cute and kind of sexy too - it's part of the all-star culture. However, when uniforms start to be non-functional, that's when it bothers me. Girls shouldn't have to worry about their uniforms falling off while they're performing. There's a difference between being creative with your uniform design and just being stupid. If your uniform is so skimpy that your athletes are constantly worried about a wardrobe malfunction, then you should probably reevaluate your design.

I think you are absolutely right. The real issue is some of these uniforms and crazy make-up are hurting all star cheerleading's credibility as a sport. For some, it is one step above toddlers and tiaras! These athletes spend way too much time training to have to deal with skimpy uniforms and others (both inside and outside the sport) talking about them. Frankly, I wish the sport would eliminate crop tops and be done with it. Truly, if gymnasts, who train far more hours than all star cheerleaders, can handle their midriffs being covered, so should all star cheerleaders. JMO.

as a former cheerleader who was originally a gymnast for 7 years, i definitely agree with this statement. I never really had uniform issues, because our cheer uniforms always allowed us to wear a normal sports bra comfortably without distracting from the clothing itself. I do remember being so frustrated with trying to tumble in normal bras if i had forgotten a sports bra for practice. I can only imagine how distracting it can be for some of these girls to be worrying about tumbling/stunting/performing in a strapless bra while making sure they're "lady parts" aren't being exposed. it ruins a person's confidence when the CP is worried about whether or not their uniform is riding up for the duration of their routine. it is distracting, annoying, and can/WILL definitely affect their performance.

I think the glitz and glitter of all-star cheer is really what sets it apart and makes it both a performance and a sport. Uniforms are meant to be fabulous and cute and kind of sexy too - it's part of the all-star culture. However, when uniforms start to be non-functional, that's when it bothers me. Girls shouldn't have to worry about their uniforms falling off while they're performing. There's a difference between being creative with your uniform design and just being stupid. If your uniform is so skimpy that your athletes are constantly worried about a wardrobe malfunction, then you should probably reevaluate your design.
So, are you saying a mini and a tiny all star cheerleader should look "kind of sexy too?" As a parent, I don't want my pre-pubescent daughter looking sexy.

So, are you saying a mini and a tiny all star cheerleader should look "kind of sexy too?" As a parent, I don't want my pre-pubescent daughter looking sexy.

Yeah, that's where the whole uniform debate gets spotty. Personally, I think it's not a bad idea to have a different uniform for the little ones. But on the other hand, it's not just the uniform IMO. If you put your mini in, say the new Fierce uni, yeah it's tiny and whatever but give her an appropriate routine and it's still adorable and innocent. Now, if you put your 8 year old on a senior team and she's doing a senior age-appropriate dance, that's probably not okay. I guess I'm getting off topic, I could go on forever about the senior age bracket, haha :p

It's also not like these little girls are walking around town in these unis. It's just for competition and personally I don't think it's a big deal.

The moment anything becomes about the 'image' it's presenting (including 'sexy'), you've lost all potential sport cred right there. No other sport seeks a certain 'look' during performance (except, of course, looking AWESOME and talented..which aren't the same as 'cute' 'sexy' 'fabulous' 'hot')..

Ehh I disagree. Figure skaters, dancers, and gymnasts all have glitzy aspects to them as well. That doesn't make them any less talented or skilled.

If all-star cheer was focused mainly on appearance, we'd be models, not athletes. I agree to an extent that image is important as a part of the performance aspect, but I feel like people are forgetting simple fundamentals of uniform design. Function is being sacrificed for "fashion" and wardrobe malfunctions and other issues are occurring far too frequently. A uniform can be eye-catching and fierce without a million cutouts and shorts that resemble undergarments, and this thread has shown some good examples! (Hellooo crossfire!)

If all-star cheer was focused mainly on appearance, we'd be models, not athletes. I agree to an extent that image is important as a part of the performance aspect, but I feel like people are forgetting simple fundamentals of uniform design. Function is being sacrificed for "fashion" and wardrobe malfunctions and other issues are occurring far too frequently. A uniform can be eye-catching and fierce without a million cutouts and shorts that resemble undergarments, and this thread has shown some good examples! (Hellooo crossfire!)

I think Victory did a good job this year as well. I used to cheer there and they were adamant about having full tops, but I guess they switched this year. Their crop tops look classy and athletic, and they're actually functional! But they still have some bling and look super cute. They also have full tops for levels 1-3 so the little ones aren't showing so much skin.

Ehh I disagree. Figure skaters, dancers, and gymnasts all have glitzy aspects to them as well. That doesn't make them any less talented or skilled.
No. But it's one of the many reasons people are quick to dismiss them as performers and not athletes (Also the subjective scoring doesn't help lol). Actually, I know not of one person who considers a dancer an athlete. Athletically talented, yes. But I myself, even as a former dancer, do not consider dancing a sport. Talent/skill =/= Sport.

I also don't consider gymnastics glitzy. But maybe I'm weird like that. Yeah, some unis are sparkly/shiny, but I've never found anything glitzy about doing gymnastics...artistic at times, but that's mostly the Russians. Glitzy to me is dripping in jewels, sparkly makeup, and diva. Khorkina might have been a diva, but I wouldn't call her gymnastics glitzy..and ONCE AGAIN, I am digressing. Long day..

I think when it comes to older girls, not tiny/mini/youth age, the "sexy" feeling is more of a performance thing. It's just like how coaches say sometimes their girls perform better when they have the biiiiig curls. It's not just that it looks prettier, it makes you feel prettier. My uniform that makes me feel gorgeous, makes me want to turn it up when I perform. Just a thought!

I think when it comes to older girls, not tiny/mini/youth age, the "sexy" feeling is more of a performance thing. It's just like how coaches say sometimes their girls perform better when they have the biiiiig curls. It's not just that it looks prettier, it makes you feel prettier. My uniform that makes me feel gorgeous, makes me want to turn it up when I perform. Just a thought!

Feeling pretty happens when a girl is confident, inside and out. It goes beyond dressing up your physical appearance. Sure, you might feel pretty when you're all done up, but what about the girls with poor body image who hate showing so much skin in a teeny tiny uniform? They'd feel over-exposed and uncomfortable, regardless of the makeup on their face, which would yield the opposite effect. I hate how the word "sexy" is being thrown around when describing how a girl should look while performing...

2zfpbtg.jpg

Cougar Cheer's new Level 5 unis, got them brand new for Worlds and kept them.
loveeee!!!!

Feeling pretty happens when a girl is confident, inside and out. It goes beyond dressing up your physical appearance. Sure, you might feel pretty when you're all done up, but what about the girls with poor body image who hate showing so much skin in a teeny tiny uniform? They'd feel over-exposed and uncomfortable, regardless of the makeup on their face, which would yield the opposite effect. I hate how the word "sexy" is being thrown around when describing how a girl should look while performing...
Shimmy x10.

I think it all depends on your mental image of things like 'cute' 'pretty' 'hot' 'sexy' and 'beautiful.' The first makes me think decent looks and a sweet personality, the second good looks and a great personality, the next two are more about the face/body and less about your personality (ie- Meghan Fox is considered 'sexy' to some and apparently has the personality of a troll), while beautiful- beautiful makes you feel like a GODDESS. Like you look your absolute best, your personality is stunning, and your confidence is through the ROOF. When I get told I look beautiful (especially by the man lol), you need to tie me down to a battleship I'm floating so high haha

Now, there are connotations in which 'sexy' has more to do with your confidence in your looks and personality instead of just straight hotness..but I'd rather not bank on that type of comment giving me satisfaction.

Back