All-Star New Uniforms 2016-2017 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It depends on the agreement that the business sets up with the individual athlete. If they sponsor them and send $100 maybe they don't want anything. If they sponsor them and send $1,000 maybe they ask the parents to put a sticker on their car or take a picture of them wining a trophy and post it to instagram and mention then company. It usually doesn't affect the gym if they sponsor an athlete. If a business sponsors a gym, like for a competition they host or maybe helping pay for travel expenses for a team to go to worlds, they will put their logo some place like on the back of their worlds/event shirts.

Regarding your "good old hard work" comment - there are many areas and families where that is not an option. Either they can't sell things for some reason or can't offer services for some reason and need to access other avenues to pay for cheer. This literally happens all the time in youth sports - youth soccer, baseball/softball, hockey, football, lots of places. Why shouldn't cheer be able to use this method of geting funds?

I don't disagree that sponsorships are a legitimate way for kids to cheer. With that said, I believe there is a difference between posting a sheet of paper on a Facebook (where the poster said she found it), and kids physically picking up a phone, talking face to face, or emailing owners and neighbors. Again, if posting it works for them, great! But, I do prefer seeing a kid that is willing to work, whether by knocking on doors, making a call, or physically doing something in return for that money. Maybe it is just something that happens in our area but, I see more parents trying to sell their kids stuff, than kids trying to sell their stuff.

Saw this on my Facebook as part of a fundraiser.

13477787_1470342005.0132_funddescription.jpg
i dont get it tbh. the sponsorship seems more like a nicer form of saying give me money to pay for the sport i cant afford myself. At least when it comes to this specific thing.
unless they plan on walking around in warmups with all these sponsors logos on them, i dont see the point in even using the excuse of sponsorship, donating money to me isnt sponsorship its just simply donating money.
for example Nascar racing is a form of sponsorship, which is why they drive a car that has that sponsors big logo on it and the drivers them selfs.
i dont have a problem with people asking for money to continue with a sport they enjoy (kids in every sport, at every level do it), but lets not mask it behind something its not.

I'm just gonna post this here because it seems a lot of you don't fully understand what sponsorships are and why they aren't just "handing kids money": How to Get Sponsors | Piggybackr

I don't disagree that sponsorships are a legitimate way for kids to cheer. With that said, I believe there is a difference between posting a sheet of paper on a Facebook (where the poster said she found it), and kids physically picking up a phone, talking face to face, or emailing owners and neighbors. Again, if posting it works for them, great! But, I do prefer seeing a kid that is willing to work, whether by knocking on doors, making a call, or physically doing something in return for that money. Maybe it is just something that happens in our area but, I see more parents trying to sell their kids stuff, than kids trying to sell their stuff.

Do you know for a fact that the ONLY posted it to facebook without calling or sending a letter? Usually when seeking sposorships, making a phone call, writing a letter, or showing up to the business you are asking to sponsor you happens in the whole thing. If I remember correctly, I believe both of my old gyms had pre-written sponsor letters from the gym that athletes could send to accompany their own written letter - as a way to show that what they were asking money for was a legitimate thing and to support the athletes letter. The only thing that was posted here on Facebook was the image with the user saying "I found this on Facebook" so they might've personally reached out to business and sent that graphic along with it as a attention grabber. (And if, for some reason, they only posted it on facebook and did nothing else, then they are seeking sponsorships incorrectly.)

i dont get it tbh. the sponsorship seems more like a nicer form of saying give me money to pay for the sport i cant afford myself. At least when it comes to this specific thing.
unless they plan on walking around in warmups with all these sponsors logos on them, i dont see the point in even using the excuse of sponsorship, donating money to me isnt sponsorship its just simply donating money.
for example Nascar racing is a form of sponsorship, which is why they drive a car that has that sponsors big logo on it and the drivers them selfs.
i dont have a problem with people asking for money to continue with a sport they enjoy (kids in every sport, at every level do it), but lets not mask it behind something its not.

Sponsoring NASCAR and sponsoring a youth sports team are two different things and I wouldn't compare the two. The company I work for sponsors a NASCAR car and driver. It also is a TOP Olympic partner/sponsor of the Olympic Games. And it sponsors small community events around the world. Each sponsorship is completely different even though they operate under the same theory. The NASCAR and Olympic sponsorship target a much bigger market and hundreds of thousands of dollars are funneled into them. The community sponsorships aren't targeting millions of people, usually only the local community, and they aren't contributing hundreds of thousands of dollars to a youth sports team.

A sponsorship also isn't a donation. A donation means the business hands the money to the team and the business doesn't get anything in return. A business gets something in return for a sponsorship in the form of advertisement. The people seeking sponsorships usually create a sponsorship package where they lay out what they are asking for and, more importantly, what they can offer to the business in the form of advertising. That's the "product" the athletes and gyms would essentially be selling to the business. It is essentially "fundraising" in the business world. You can't offer a business the same "products and services" you would in normal fundraisers. Washing their cars or baby sitting their kids aren't things that are valuable to a business. The service you can offer them that they want is advertising. It's not free money because you're providing a service to the business and it's not a donation because they recieve something in return.

It is a thing that happens EVERYWHERE. Not just in poor places where people need money and not just in huge events like NASCAR. Listen, if gyms truly want to help their families afford cheer, they need to consider sponsorships as another revenue for money. Gyms need to either help their families seek sponsorships or the gyms need to start seeking sponsorships themselves to lower the cost for the families. Gyms have a lot of people come through their doors every day and they go lots of places throughout the season. They also are very active on socialmedia and their customer base is spread across a large area. They have a great platform for other companies to tap in to. If a gym offers a sponsorship to a local business, and that local business offers that gym $5-10K in return for advertising throughout the season, a gym could pay off competition registration fees for so many families. Or they could alleviate the costs of choreography and music for a season. Or they could pay for flights/hotels/buses/etc for a team for a big competition like NCA or Worlds or Cheersport. Or they could pay for practice uniforms. Or shoes. Or new equipment.

If gyms say they want to help their families but turn their nose up at the thought of a couple companies' logo on the back of their practice t-shirt then they are not serious about helping their families. You are not helping as much as you think you are by finding more ways for THEM to get money for cheer. Help your families by finding ways to cut down on costs overall. Sponsorships help cut down on costs for everyone. Sponsorships could really benefit a lot of gyms and a lot of cheer families.

We do the sponsorship fundraising. They get their name on a Tshirt the kids wear, depending on the amount of $ name on website, contact info and/or direct link to their business. All of us involved try to use these businesses also. If a business does not want to participate they don't have to. I can b a good way to help the costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do a sponsorship package that outlines different advertising options depending on dollar amount. High level sponsors can get things like private camps for employees kids, or a portion of the program out at a corporate event. We point out in the package the section of our Income Tax Code that makes sponsorship in the form of advertising a tax write off for the business. It really can be win-win.

I know here, arenas have advertising on the boards, on the walls, and they pay for it to be there as a revenue stream for the rink. In theory, the same could be done in a gym. Competitions here sell ad space in programs, title sponsor rights (our competitions are run by programs as fundraisers, no Big V here!).

@Eyes On The Prize "No", I don't know for a fact that was the only place they posted, however, it doesn't matter to my opinion. I said if they could make money that way, "great", in both of my posts. If you want to get technical, however, @UCFKnights07 is correct on the definition of a sponsor:
Sponsor | Definition of Sponsor by Merriam-Webster

Everyone has the right to raise and make money, within some limits, the way they want to. But, that also allows us the right to state our opinions on the tactics people use. I tend to be the person to give to people standing in parking lots and highway ramps asking for money, that doesn't bother me but, kids/parents asking on Facebook does. Maybe because it is necessity versus non but, it doesn't matter, it's just my preference when it comes to kids and money. I prefer seeing kids working in exchange for money when it comes to non necessities.

I'm just gonna post this here because it seems a lot of you don't fully understand what sponsorships are and why they aren't just "handing kids money": How to Get Sponsors | Piggybackr

Do you know for a fact that the ONLY posted it to facebook without calling or sending a letter? Usually when seeking sposorships, making a phone call, writing a letter, or showing up to the business you are asking to sponsor you happens in the whole thing. If I remember correctly, I believe both of my old gyms had pre-written sponsor letters from the gym that athletes could send to accompany their own written letter - as a way to show that what they were asking money for was a legitimate thing and to support the athletes letter. The only thing that was posted here on Facebook was the image with the user saying "I found this on Facebook" so they might've personally reached out to business and sent that graphic along with it as a attention grabber. (And if, for some reason, they only posted it on facebook and did nothing else, then they are seeking sponsorships incorrectly.)

Sponsoring NASCAR and sponsoring a youth sports team are two different things and I wouldn't compare the two. The company I work for sponsors a NASCAR car and driver. It also is a TOP Olympic partner/sponsor of the Olympic Games. And it sponsors small community events around the world. Each sponsorship is completely different even though they operate under the same theory. The NASCAR and Olympic sponsorship target a much bigger market and hundreds of thousands of dollars are funneled into them. The community sponsorships aren't targeting millions of people, usually only the local community, and they aren't contributing hundreds of thousands of dollars to a youth sports team.

A sponsorship also isn't a donation. A donation means the business hands the money to the team and the business doesn't get anything in return. A business gets something in return for a sponsorship in the form of advertisement. The people seeking sponsorships usually create a sponsorship package where they lay out what they are asking for and, more importantly, what they can offer to the business in the form of advertising. That's the "product" the athletes and gyms would essentially be selling to the business. It is essentially "fundraising" in the business world. You can't offer a business the same "products and services" you would in normal fundraisers. Washing their cars or baby sitting their kids aren't things that are valuable to a business. The service you can offer them that they want is advertising. It's not free money because you're providing a service to the business and it's not a donation because they recieve something in return.

It is a thing that happens EVERYWHERE. Not just in poor places where people need money and not just in huge events like NASCAR. Listen, if gyms truly want to help their families afford cheer, they need to consider sponsorships as another revenue for money. Gyms need to either help their families seek sponsorships or the gyms need to start seeking sponsorships themselves to lower the cost for the families. Gyms have a lot of people come through their doors every day and they go lots of places throughout the season. They also are very active on socialmedia and their customer base is spread across a large area. They have a great platform for other companies to tap in to. If a gym offers a sponsorship to a local business, and that local business offers that gym $5-10K in return for advertising throughout the season, a gym could pay off competition registration fees for so many families. Or they could alleviate the costs of choreography and music for a season. Or they could pay for flights/hotels/buses/etc for a team for a big competition like NCA or Worlds or Cheersport. Or they could pay for practice uniforms. Or shoes. Or new equipment.

If gyms say they want to help their families but turn their nose up at the thought of a couple companies' logo on the back of their practice t-shirt then they are not serious about helping their families. You are not helping as much as you think you are by finding more ways for THEM to get money for cheer. Help your families by finding ways to cut down on costs overall. Sponsorships help cut down on costs for everyone. Sponsorships could really benefit a lot of gyms and a lot of cheer families.

You do make good points but my arguement is that sponsoring a body part sounds pointless, among other things. Maybe if it was "sponsor me getting a uniform" and an entire team was doing it, and in return the sponsor gets some form of credit, etc. Then id be behind it. I just dont get the body part thing...

You do make good points but my arguement is that sponsoring a body part sounds pointless, among other things. Maybe if it was "sponsor me getting a uniform" and an entire team was doing it, and in return the sponsor gets some form of credit, etc. Then id be behind it. I just dont get the body part thing...
I'm thinking because it breaks down the total cost. Maybe there are family members who would be happy to give $20 in support but not $450.

I understand the argument and reasoning behind the sponsorship. Where I live I mostly see sponsorships for rec or town teams which are very inexpensive and have a low barrier to entry to begin with and involve large numbers of children. I most appreciate fundraising type activities that provide a service or are otherwise a win-win for both parties....

On the Olympics last night they said the leotards cost $1,200...so yeah, sports are expensive these days!!

I didnt get that from your response but I'm not going to mince words.

Their idea was B+ but the execution of it was D-. It looks as though it is a "sponsor my uniform" graphic and if you look at it through that view point rather than "sponsor my body parts", then it makes more sense and is less creepy. (Sponsor the arm of my uniform, sponsor the bow of my uniform, sponsor the crystals of my uniform, etc. No clue what the leg parts are about bc it should've just been about skirts. But the overall idea breaks the cost of the uniform into smaller chunks that people/businesses wouldnt mind considering taking part.) I see what they were trying to do and why it maybe wasn't as successful as it could've been. As a designer, I would've gone about creating this a different way.

i still dont think buying a body part is sponsoring regardless of how people want to look at it. i think people need to dust off their dictionaries as well...
nascar is pretty much a perfect example of what a true sponsor is, yes two very different past times, But just because the sport/ activity changes doesnt mean the definition of sponsorship does.
i dont have an issue with what the program is doing to raise money, but its just an odd way to raise money for a uniform. Unless there is more to it that they havent released yet.

plus what do these people "sponsoring" a body part (uniform, what ever they are trying to accomplish) get out of it.....

13886229_1042766719170602_699393346893955896_n.jpg
These are the new uniforms for Imperial Elite in Arkansas. We're a third year gym with around 75 athletes. The picture really doesn't do it justice, but the athletes are excited because these are comfortable.

Back