Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Jan 20, 2010
Re-hosted in case they take it down

30JwA.jpg

Message from the Board of Directors:

A Message from the USASF Board of Directors
The Board appreciates the recommendations recently made by the Rules Committee and,
as always, gave them serious consideration before issuing the revised rules that we feel are
in the best interest of our sport and its athletes. Given the feedback we received, it seems
appropriate to now address the developments that led the Board to initially issue these
rules.

The Board has a deep respect for the technical qualifications of the members of the Rules
Committee and sincerely appreciates the hard work of every member. The Board believes
that much focus has been given to important detailed technical points; however, there are
broader issues involving the rules that deserve immediate attention. Because of this, the
Board felt compelled to address what it believes are critical and urgent issues. Addressing
these issues is consistent with the mission of the USASF, which is to create a safe and
positive environment for All Star athletes and to grow the sport.

An inordinate number of injuries in tumbling appears not to have
been adequately addressed by the rules. All technical areas (stunts, pyramids and basket
tosses) have restrictions to enhance safety. When particular skills are deemed to be unsafe
for the vast number of athletes involved in our sport, rules and restrictions need to be
created. If there are skills that appear to be creating injuries, then it is the responsibility of
the USASF to address these skills for the overall benefit of our athletes and our sport.
In recent days, some have advocated leaving decisions on what specific skills can be
performed by an athlete strictly to the coaches and athletes themselves, thereby
eliminating any restrictions. The result would be allowing virtually any skill to be
attempted. The Board believes that this approach would have a devastating effect on our
sport (envision four high pyramids, basket tosses from shoulder stands, and double or
triple backs with multiple twists on the floor and in baskets).

The Board is also concerned about the continued lack of serious competition in many of the
divisions that have been created. While the concept of level play has been positive for our
sport, the very large number of divisions inherently creates a lack of serious competition in
many circumstances. There are now more than 140 divisions. This is counter to creating
what is an essential element of any legitimate sport, which is competition. The Board
believes that decisions must be made over the coming months to create a more balanced
and robust competitive environment.

The image and appearance policy addresses the increasing criticism about the general
appearance of our athletes during competition and the unflattering media stories that have
focused on how our sport is presenting its athletes, particularly those in the younger age
groups.

Regarding process, the Board appreciates the procedure whereby the NACCC recommends
rules to the Rules Committee, and the Committee then considers these recommendations,
as well as those the Committee develops itself. The Rules Committee then recommends
specific rules to the Board, the vast majority of which have historically been passed.
However, the Board has always reserved the right to pass certain rules it develops itself if
such rules are deemed to address issues of important and immediate concern. Going
forward, in an effort to advance the USASF's mission in a more substantial and timely way,
the Board will give as clear a direction as possible to the Rules Committee as it relates to
the development of rules.

While fully respecting and appreciating each individual’s right to freely express themselves,
it is imperative that those who are involved with the USASF on an official basis or project
conduct themselves constructively and professionally with respect for their peers working
within the organization. Based on the developments that have recently transpired
regarding these rules, the USASF will soon be issuing its own standards of conduct relative
to official work being done on behalf of the USASF. To hold an official position, including a
USASF committee position, the USASF will require that members discuss and address these
issues within the organization’s official structure.

Finally, the Board, which is composed of both event producers and coaches, believes that it
is imperative to put the overall good of the sport before personal or company interests.
This includes event companies and gym companies. The Board believes everyone should
keep this principle at the forefront of our future efforts in furthering the USASF’s mission to
create a safe and positive environment for All Star athletes and to grow the sport.

Board of Directors

Jim Chadwick – Chairman
Mike Burgess – USA
Justin Carrier – NCA
Brian Elza – Premier Athletics
Jeff Fowlkes – CHEERSPORT
Mack Hirshberg – Mac’s Cheer
Gwen Holtsclaw* – Cheer Ltd.
Happy Hooper – Ace All Stars
Dan Kessler – Jamfest
April LaFramboise – JAM Brands
Colleen Little – IEP
Jody Melton – Cheer Athletics
Catherine Morris – UDA
John Newby – UCA
Elaine Pascale – World Cup
Steve Peterson – IASF/USASF
James Speed* – GymTyme
Lance Wagers – ACA
*Consultants to the Board

I think this is a fantastic compromise.

I agree, I also don't expect that the Image Policy will change, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was re-written and released as a recommendation (except the uniform requirements - that obviously has to be a rule to be enforced).

But that should be separate from the other rules, so I'm glad they didn't announce anything about it now.

ok, so does that mean you can do whip-punch-doubles in running and standing, but you can not do full-punch-doubles or double-punch-doubles in runing and standing??

Ja-Mez

ok, so does that mean you can do whip-punch-doubles in running and standing, but you can not do full-punch-doubles or double-punch-doubles in runing and standing??

Ja-Mez
Thats how I read it.

"In recent days, some have advocated leaving decisions on what specific skills can be
performed by an athlete strictly to the coaches and athletes themselves, thereby
eliminating any restrictions"

Really USASF? I don't think that is how we, as a group including Gym Owners, coaches, and athletes, thought of that at all.

"In recent days, some have advocated leaving decisions on what specific skills can be
eliminating any restrictions"

Really USASF? I don't think that is how we, as a group including Gym Owners, coaches, and athletes, thought of that at all.

It's so condescending, like saying "they don't know what they're talking about, we know what's best for everyone." I don't think anyone, outside of a few misguided individuals was suggesting a free-for-all on stunts and tumbling. Triple downs for everyone!

It's so condescending, like saying "they don't know what they're talking about, we know what's best for everyone." I don't think anyone, outside of a few misguided individuals was suggesting a free-for-all on stunts and tumbling. Triple downs for everyone!
I mean, I was really hoping... My tinys already have twisting dismounts out of everything. Just ask Jam Brands Judges. :rolleyes:

Standing fulls are allowed, standing doubles are not. One to doubles are NOT allowed, multiple handspring to doubles are.

Bounding twisting skills into a double are not allowed. Twisting skills out of a double are not allowed.

They're keeping youth max age at 11, not 12. And international 5 will go from 15 to 16 to 17 in the next 3 years.

Seriously USASF, why would you upload the new rules as an image?!

I think it is interesting in who we have not heard from...certain gyms with USASF affiliations are awfully quiet or am I imagining it? I for one am not sighing with relief that thank goodness these rules are better because the alternative was worse. These suck too...I think the only thing I can let go of is standing double fulls.

I think it is interesting in who we have not heard from...certain gyms with USASF affiliations are awfully quiet or am I imagining it? I for one am not sighing with relief that thank goodness these rules are better because the alternative was worse. These suck too...I think the only thing I can let go of is standing double fulls.
They really aren't that bad.....

Back