New Usasf Rules For Next Year

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is my third post. I've been lurking here forever...since the pro x days. The method and content of the USASF rule changes have finally motivated me to post. I just spent four hours reading the main thread in the allstar section. I am stunned. Tumbling changes and "image" guidelines should have been subjected to the same level of scrutiny as every other rule change! The lack of transparency is tantamount to a dictatorship. And the fact that the board is comprised mainly of Varsity brand members should tell people that there could be an agenda beyond the safety issue that is being currently broadcast.

I can't personally say what's best for the future of allstars, and I truly believe neither can the USASF. Without input from a wide variety of sources, the rule changes seem arbitrary. And now it seems even more arbitrary since they've removed the original documents and sent an e-mail about reviewing the changes based on the blow up over the past 24 hours.

I don't know how many people read the newbie thread, but I feel compelled to voice my opinion like so many others. I won't comment on the tumbling changes except to say I do not agree with them. I feel like those changes will be the primary focus of the current review and are likely to be reversed or at least modified to something similar to what they were yesterday afternoon.

Instead, I want to address the "image" guidelines. First, I don't necessarily disagree with the uniform changes. But I do disagree with a governing body attempting to dictate "image." I appreciate the effort to achieve reccognition as a sport. Dictating image is not the way to do it. Image does not make a sport. Otherwise, pro athletics would have fallen apart years ago amid steroid abuse, murders, guns charges, drug abuse, domestic violence, and so on. Image should be left up to gym owners, coaches and parents. Gyms who want to look trashy can set that image. Gyms who want a clean appearance can set that image. Parents can seek gyms who represent similar morals and values. It's a consumer-driven business at the gym level and parents can easily influence a gym's image.

MORE THAN ANYTHING within the image guidelines, I am deeply offended and appalled at dictating to the men that they must be less "theatrical." This discrimination from a sport that has historically embraced everyone--male, female, black, white, hispanic, asian--EVERYONE. In the past, the lack of discrimination made me proud to be a part of cheer. My cp has been raised in allstars and appreciates and celebrates the differences and similarities of all of her friends. She does not judge and does not tolerate intolerance. Cheerleading is a large part of the reason why. When I read through the other thread, I was disgusted to see my gym owner's name attributed to a comment regarding male theatrics. I don't know if he said this or if the poster was mistaken. It was an attempt to explain why USASF would dictate what could be called openly gay flamboyance. The reason? Because straight guys would be put out and not attracted to cheerleading as a sport. Okay, ignorance. If it bothers you that much, then go play football or soccer or basketball or anything. I would prefer we not associate with judgmental homophobes anyway, so it's no great loss. The problem is that someone actually articulated this, whether or not it was my cp's gym owner, and someone actually wrote it down and then someone actually published it, and the USASF actually supported it. Apparently USASF does not know the sport of cheerleading as well as they believe they do.
I so enjoyed reading your post! Please continue in the future....I'm sure you will be appreciated in the other threads!

If Usasf wants full tops for the teams that have half tops then Usasf should pay for it ALL!!!! My sister just gor her new half top my mom shouldn't pay ANOTHER 250 for ANOTHER top ( thats for all parents) just cause Usasf doesnt like them!!!! That's bull young or not half tops are cuter and full tops are ugly that's just my opinion!!!
it doesn't take effect for three years to give teams a chance to cycle through their current uniforms.

I totally agree with you with the tumbling. Although, with the half tops, I don't like how only seniors can wear them. I think if youth, junior, and senior could all be allowed to wear half tops, I would agree with it. This is because youth, junior, and senior are the divisions in which there is non-stop action, and you actually get a work out, and you get sweaty. Tiny and mini are not as competitive.

Most squads here in the UK have a full length top for competition, even senior (though the crop is becoming popular), and I rarely hear people complaining about being boiling hot in a full top and how a half top would solve their sweat issues. I know even at university my competition uniform consisted of a shell top and skirt and under leotard - yeah, I was warm after a routine but I wasn't uncomfortably warm. They have since upgraded (lucky so-and-sos) to lycra full tops and fitted skirts.

I think, in my personal opinion, it's more down to the fact i'm not keen on seeing young kids in bikinis, so i'm not a fan of half tops. I think full tops look neater on their shape. Cheer is something that gets wrongly accused of sexualising girls at a young age anyways and I think these uniform rules may help alleviate that slightly if implemented. I'd maybe give juniors the benefit of the doubt though if they're covered when not warming up or on the mat, but anything younger in a half top just isn't my cup of tea personally.

what are all the new rules? i know about the one where only senior teams can wear half tops, but will someone please tell me the rest?

what are all the new rules? i know about the one where only senior teams can wear half tops, but will someone please tell me the rest?

Hi Reese, this thread was started 3 years ago. Everything that was originally being talked about has already been implemented except for the crop shirt rule which is starting this season. You can check the newest rules changes that were announced last spring on the USASF page, but there wasn't a lot beyond the creation of dII (small gyms) and extending the maximum age of tinys by a year.

The items in red are the changes General Safety (2015-16) | USASF Cheer Rules

This is a good example of reading, but being careful to not resurrect an old thread unless you have new information to add. If you aren't sure, search some more threads and you will probably find more recent discussions or updated info.

Back