OT New York City?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 4, 2011
I'm posting this thread because we don't leave until 11am so I'm bored until then. :p So, I'm leaving for NYC with the performing arts academy at my school. This is my first time to NYC and I'm SO excited! We're staying at a hotel in New Jersey which I prefer anyways lol. We have an itinerary consisting of going to the building where SNL is filmed, a dinner cruise, going to Chinatown, seeing The Lion King (i'm so excited for that because I LOVE broadway and this will be my first show on broadway, ahhh!), maybe swing by the Today Show, and seeing the Statue of Liberty & our band will be playing there. The drive is probably going to be the hardest part considering we're driving from Owensboro, KY to New York, but I'm still excited.
Has anyone on the board ever been to NYC and can kinda tell me what it's like? I'm actually kinda nervous/anxious because I've never been this far away from home for a few days and NYC is a huge city lol. Thanks!

My mom and I went for Christmas a couple of years ago and had a FABULOUS time... My biggest advice would be go to as many shows as possible (we saw seven-yes we are losers) and take the NBC studios tour. It's really fun, and you get to see a few sets and learn random, behind the scene facts about shows. We really enjoyed it, and you'll be right there if you are hitting up the today show.
If you want to make it on the Today Show, people line up at about 5am, but they don't come out of the studio until 8:30 so there is no need to get there that early unless you want to be in the very front. I'm almost positive that if we would have stayed any longer we would have lost our legs to frostbite it was so cold, and that was our fault. Bring signs too!
Also, we got snowed in and I don't know if this is normal, but if you have free time and want to go to shows, check back that morning. We got front row seats to Jersey Boys and fourth row to Wicked because scalpers had just turned in the tickets they couldn't sell on the streets and we were there. Also, both of those shows are amazing and I recommend them to anyone.
We also saw the Rockettes which was really cool. If you have time check them out too!

Go into all the store on 5th avenue. Most of them like tiffanys are super expensive but they are so cool. Especially fao shwarts toy store, they have the most amazing barbies and Harry potter stuff in there. There used to be a huge Disney store but for some reason I think they took it out... :( but lion king is fabulous! Don't be late they won't let you in unless it's a clapping point and the opening number made me cry it was so good! Don't be scared to take the subway either it is so much less expensive to get around and is not hard at all to find your way.

No reason to be nervous, NYC is a great city! It's alot of fun :) and it's good you're seeing the Lion King, can't go to NYC without seeing a Broadway show! :)

RIDE THE FERRIS WHEEL IN TOYS R US. its my favorite... and go to china town. and the SNL studio tour is SOSOSO awesome. you learn alot of stuff that you would have never noticed... now when i watch it im like OH!

Ask kristenthegreat I'm pretty sure she lives there. If you have time, go see the WTC Memorial. Very moving. Times Square is also amazing as others have said. So many things to see, you're going to have a great time!

I do indeed live there, and have for the past 4-5 years! You will need GOOD walking shoes with LOTS of comfort/support and a subway map unless you have a bus and a meeting point. If you're going off with a couple of friends, central park is always a nice spot, and depending on where you get in you can hit up the Metropolitan Museum of Art (heads up- tickets into the museum are actually suggested donation. Give what you can, but don't feel obligated to drop a huge chunk of change). If you're desperately hungry and short on cash, dirty-water-dogs (yes, I'm talking about hot dog carts lol) are actually pretty good on the cheap. Be aware that ANY food in TS is VERY overpriced due to convenience. Union Square is down by where I work and has a number of shops, plus the green market is always fun if it's open, with lots of goodies to try. It depends on what you're in the mood for.

Like any city- ALWAYS LOOK LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, EVEN IF YOU DON'T. We're actually a pretty friendly bunch if you look lost, so don't be afraid to ask. Being confident about your location helps deter pickpockets. If you want to brave the subway (which I suggest unless, again, you have a bus you guys will be taking places), definitely get a map. I can give you tips on how to read it if you'd like/figure out how to get places! You can walk the brooklyn bridge which is always nice on a clear day..SoHo has some fun boutiques to look in even if you can't afford the prices! I can't suggest a whole lot without knowing your time frame/comfort level of traveling/etc. Feel free to PM me if you have questions- that goes for anybody heading up this way as well!

I live right by the city! You're gonna love it...make sure to go shopping at SoHo and get froyo at Pinkberry - those are definitely musts! :)

If you like musicals GO SEE WICKED. I had seen it a few times before locally, and seeing it on Broadway was unreal. It is worth every dollar, and is simply breathtaking on Broadway.

I'm also the only person in America that hated Lion King, but I cannot stress the fabulousness of Wicked enough! :)

If you like musicals GO SEE WICKED. I had seen it a few times before locally, and seeing it on Broadway was unreal. It is worth every dollar, and is simply breathtaking on Broadway.

I'm also the only person in America that hated Lion King, but I cannot stress the fabulousness of Wicked enough! :)
My uncle is one of the producers of this show, and I have yet to get to see it! I c ant wait cause next time we go to the city my Mom promised me I could go!

Back