Newbie Mom

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 9, 2017
Hi!
My daughter just finished her first season of MS cheer. She loved it! She wants to keep going. But, we are going on vacation, when they are holding tryouts. I’m upset and frustrated.
I was part of a cheering team for 15 years. From the time I was 5. I was on National Championship teams and had many amazing expierences. My daughter’s coach is 20 years old! They do get either 1st or 2nd in their comps. But, the coach just wants to win. She’s not about teaching them anything or really helping them learn. What do I do?

I say ask your daughter if she is comfortable with the coach morals and cheer ethics, and if she thinks she can handle it then let her try it , and when you feel like the coach had gone to far kick that team to the curb.

Hi!
My daughter just finished her first season of MS cheer. She loved it! She wants to keep going. But, we are going on vacation, when they are holding tryouts. I’m upset and frustrated.
I was part of a cheering team for 15 years. From the time I was 5. I was on National Championship teams and had many amazing expierences. My daughter’s coach is 20 years old! They do get either 1st or 2nd in their comps. But, the coach just wants to win. She’s not about teaching them anything or really helping them learn. What do I do?

If you were on a cheer team for 15 years, then you understand that rarely "rules" get broken, especially with school cheer. Often it is the school or district that designates when tryouts are not the coach. They also decide any students will be allowed to do a private tryout at another time, but accomodations are usually done for true conflicts, not family vacations. I would have your daughter speak to them to see if they will allow her to tryout at another time.

I am not sure what the age of the coach has to do with anything. Experience matters, age does not. One of my CP's favorite coaches is very young. He has also won Worlds twice, and coached level 5 teams since he was 20. We have other young coaches at the gym with simialr backgrounds (and rings).

If you don't like how the school is running cheer, you could try all stars, but the commitment level is equally intense and is year round.

Back