High School Nhscc Planning For Next Year

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 2, 2014
(Yes, we may be starting early, but we wanted to get our thoughts down on paper before we forgot....)

Here's my question:

If you were making a list of skills/stunts/signs, etc that you saw in the Finals rounds that you feel like was something uniform across the board that the judges liked that squads should emulate and add to their routines next year...what would those be? For both traditional and game day...

Here's some examples we put on our list...
Multiple Jumps straight into Standing Tumbling
Cheers with Spell Outs of Mascots or School Name
Organized Shrugs or Clap Cleans

Just wondering what everyone thought...and I may not be using the right terminology, but I figured we could all learn from what each other observed.

BIG bold signs
Group tumbling
Unique/catchy cheer
Difficult single based stunting
Pyramids where every group is involved and doing some type of transition rather than just having two main groups doing everything

Pyramids where every group is involved and doing some type of transition rather than just having two main groups doing everything
This is what we thought, and what we've consistently been told. Frustrating part is that every pyramid that scored higher than ours in our division only had 2 groups doing tricks and everyone else doing preps or show-n-gos at most. We've focused all season on every group doing something and using multiple flyers in trick positions. Unfortunately what we've been told all season wasn't reflected in judging at NHSCC. At least not in any of the divisions we were in.

This season we competed UCA 4 times and had a different pyramid at every competition. The first pyramid was our easiest and was a traditional 3 preps, 2 trick flyers. Every other pyramid used everyone and had multiple groups doing tricks. The best scoring pyramid all year... the 3 preps and 2 tricks. :mad:

Most teams in finals had some variation of a full up to a single base or a single based one legged skill (lib, stretch, ect).

Also, tight and clean in everything. Good energy throughout the whole thing, especially the cheer.

BIG bold signs
Group tumbling
Unique/catchy cheer
Difficult single based stunting
Hallelujah. And throw in some creativity. It seems like most varsity all-girl teams hit some combination of full/1.5 ups, LTH/HTH FOs, and similar dismounts. Try to stand out.

NOTHING IS WORSE THAN UNREADABLE SIGNS. If you have at least a medium-sized team, don't neglect to use signs in your color chant (if you so choose to include one). Read this.

And for the love of Herkie, PLEASE BE SHARP, CLEAN AND FLEXIBLE. That seems to be lost on a lot of teams nowadays, which is sad because that is supposed to be the mark of UCA.

This is what we thought, and what we've consistently been told. Frustrating part is that every pyramid that scored higher than ours in our division only had 2 groups doing tricks and everyone else doing preps or show-n-gos at most. We've focused all season on every group doing something and using multiple flyers in trick positions. Unfortunately what we've been told all season wasn't reflected in judging at NHSCC. At least not in any of the divisions we were in.

This season we competed UCA 4 times and had a different pyramid at every competition. The first pyramid was our easiest and was a traditional 3 preps, 2 trick flyers. Every other pyramid used everyone and had multiple groups doing tricks. The best scoring pyramid all year... the 3 preps and 2 tricks. :mad:

I understand this frustration!!! It has happened to my teams too. Judging can be inconsistent but I guess that is just part of our sport! We finally got a pyramid down where every group did various transitions and it ended up being the highest scoring pyramid in our division. So it was worth it for us in the end!

Side note I absolutely loved the score sheets/breakdowns given this year at Nationals.. so helpful!

I understand this frustration!!! It has happened to my teams too. Judging can be inconsistent but I guess that is just part of our sport! We finally got a pyramid down where every group did various transitions and it ended up being the highest scoring pyramid in our division. So it was worth it for us in the end!

Side note I absolutely loved the score sheets/breakdowns given this year at Nationals.. so helpful!
When I came home and studied the scoresheets with the videos I was definitely frustrated! Not that our pyramid didn't score well, but I was definitely frustrated after watching videos of the ones that did outscore ours. I didn't even look too much at the execution scores, just at the difficulty scores they got. Left me scratching my head on what the judges saw vs what I was seeing! Overall I think a lot of the scores were on point, pyramid though, I just didn't see it!

Agree! I loved the breakdowns we were given! I also loved that we were given valuable comments & feedback that was typed. "Point your toes" as jump feedback and "add more tumbling" as tumbling feedback isn't helpful. We all obviously know these things. We had a few things like that, but mostly we had really good comments and feedback from the judges.

Back