All-Star No More Double Downs In High School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Inversions in high school are also illegal... so are high to high tick tocks... sooon theyre going to take away twisting from tumbling... smh
:banghead:
Braced pyramid inversions are now being added in the same set of rules that eliminated double downs.

While this is a great idea, most schools don't have the proper mats to practice on let alone a coach that really wants to coach. Many of the teams competing in the hs division are still coached by 'sponsor' moms that might do the test but never really get it, if that makes sense.
Took the words out of my mouth. I am a high school principal and decided to watch a little cheer practice one night. I left because it was scaring the mess out of me. They were just making stuff up! I think they were trying to do something our youth3 did the year before but they were letting the kids try to make it up and figure out how to do it. And this is with a staff that's been doing it a long time and a pretty reputable program in our area.

I say all this to say, the coach loves cheer and understands it, but she doesn't have the training like our Allstar coaches to understand how to teach grips, tumbling, proper flyer technique etc. I get that our high school programs aren't strong here because our county actually refuses to allow stunting in middle school (no mats and no trained coaches) they can tumble only at their own risk if they have tumbling skills on the side but it's not permitted to be coached/practiced in the middle schools so we have pretty straight sideline cheer going on. When they get to high school the coaches still don't know how to coach that stuff but they pick up all star cheerleaders from the area that come in knowing how to do stuff.

I can't imagine our kids doing double twisting skills. That would scare me to death as the schools' principal.

what are some examples of "Braced pyramid inversions"?
Read under 2-5-6

fncxa8.jpg

As has been said before, you don't need to be anything to be an "all star team" for the purpose of registering at a random comp. So if you go to "George Washington High School" in SmallTown USA, after your high school season ends, you create an allstar team "SmallTown Allstars", rent gym time (even if it's only your own school's gym!), invite all your squadmates along (and/or pick up NearbyVille High kids) and register as lvl 5. You perform your same routine you did at school, just add in double downs/baskets. If there's more time, you can change more stuff. Ok, you're not GWHS anymore, but you're learning and competing towards your goal of having the skills you need for college cheer.

As has been said before, you don't need to be anything to be an "all star team" for the purpose of registering at a random comp. So if you go to "George Washington High School" in SmallTown USA, after your high school season ends, you create an allstar team "SmallTown Allstars", rent gym time (even if it's only your own school's gym!), invite all your squadmates along (and/or pick up NearbyVille High kids) and register as lvl 5. You perform your same routine you did at school, just add in double downs/baskets. If there's more time, you can change more stuff. Ok, you're not GWHS anymore, but you're learning and competing towards your goal of having the skills you need for college cheer.
As a high school cheer coach myself, I'm not too sure how receptive our athletic department would be to this. But I suppose it's worth a shot if anyone is desperate to compete double downs.

I know that at my high school when I was there the more advanced girls were the ones teaching stunts, we didn't compete many years, never while I was there, but we were horrendous. I just found out that the sponsors the same ones who looked at me when they announced my senior year they didn't want competitive cheerleaders (guess who didn't make it) have now turned them into a spirit squad, they are non building and non tumbling, not that they learned any of the skills there. While I feel sorry for the girls who worked there butts off drive 30+ miles to tumble, and aren't even making the team any more. Safety wise I'm glad. The school, if they ever did want to become competitive has sponsors who must work at the school, can't even be a KNOWLEDGEABLE parent, and no mats, and when the gym is in use they practice outside. I remember hitting the ROCKS one day with my flier. So while some schools outsource coaching and have mats, a lot don't and looking back on it I'm glad we never attempted high level stunts, the highest lv stunt that occured while I was there was a basket full. I was JV and the varsity had me spot them at practice but when the pep rally came I was 5 feet away doing motions, the girl flew over the basses and landed on straight gym floor, had they had proper training probably wouldn't have happened. Ok so I'm just ranting now, point is I agree if there's not going to be coaching qualifications this is a good idea.

I honestly can't even bring myself to read this whole thread. I'm so upset over it. As I stated in the thread in the high school forum, this is so incredibly unfair to the athletes who work so hard for their skills. I can only speak for my team and my state but double downs are as common as back handsprings here. We worked so hard this year to get doubles for our upcoming season. All the conditioning and drills we did to get them perfect now go to waste. I don't understand why we cant just make it more difficult for coaches to get certified.

At this rate, its going to get to a point where were only allowed to do level 2/3 skills. And my family doesnt have the money for me to do allstar. I can say the same for the girls on my team with level 5 skills. How is the fair to any of us? Punish the ones who aren't safe. Not the rest of us.

I just look at what happens to the girls who want to go on to cheer at OSU, Louisville, HPU, ect. but have never been taught how to double down. I know that they can go to college clinics or join an all star team, but not everyone can afford to join an allstar team or travel to these college clinics.
I understand the point of the rule and thing to help what they are doing it is great, I just think it has negatives against it that I just don't like.

I also can't understand why they would remove double downs but now allow braced inversions in pryamids.

Co-ed stunting, 2 and 1/2 high pyramids, and back tuck baskets aren't taught at most high schools (thank goodness!!) and are perfomed in college. Now colleges will also have to teach double downs as well. I also think that if the cheerleader is "athletic" enough for lack of a better word to make or even tryout for these teams she would have good body awareness and it shouldn't take long to teach.

As a high school cheer coach myself, I'm not too sure how receptive our athletic department would be to this. But I suppose it's worth a shot if anyone is desperate to compete double downs.
From what I can tell it varies state by state or locality what's allowed for non-school off season play. Almost always it's a name and/or colors change, sometimes if the school coach is still coaching the team has to be made up of a % of players from other schools, some states really restrict outside/off season play for sports and some of those consider cheer a sport. But for some it could work, especially if it's taken completely outside the school. Around here, some high schoolers will go back to rec teams for winter cheer (I think if the school doesn't have JV for winter and they don't make the Varsity winter squad)

Pop Warner is making similar changes a friend told me in a meeting. it will be Levels 1,2,3 or the USASF rules from what I've heard. Don't know all the exceptions. I like it, but double downs and other things will be taken away, but at least rules wise I like that were all coming together to have the same rules, almost. sorry this is a high school dispute, but had to add in other recent possible cheer changes.

The way it was explained to me was that they collected data on injuries and the majority were from person to person contact, and then when they looked closer it was mostly related to double downs. I hate to see it go cause obviously my daughters High School had no problems throwing them but it is what it is.

Pop Warner is making similar changes a friend told me in a meeting. it will be Levels 1,2,3 or the USASF rules from what I've heard. Don't know all the exceptions. I like it, but double downs and other things will be taken away, but at least rules wise I like that were all coming together to have the same rules, almost. sorry this is a high school dispute, but had to add in other recent possible cheer changes.

that is fantastic! I am seriously hoping they get rid of twisting in tumbling for high school as well. they just don't have the performance surface and most don't have the coaches.

Okay i'm trying to keep myself as objective and unbiased as i possibly can. But how come allstar cheer is still allowed to do double fulls when their are plenty of kids tearing ACLs and such all the time? There are some small gyms that have kids throw some seriously janky tumbling. The kind that makes you hold your breath. I don't understand why high school cheer ALWAYS gets the heat for everything.

Back