All-Star No More Double Downs In High School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't find it in the rule changes, but I'm assuming this eliminates kick doubles as well? :confused:

Obviously there are different governing bodies, but I think her point was that there are also a high number of injuries coming from unsafe progressions at the allstar level as well and no one is considering eliminating their skills.
Completely agree! The simple difference is each all star program is privately held and the schools are under rule of each state and then federal oversight.

You are touching on an issue within all star that I feel needs to be addressed and has been discussed.
It is being discussed though? You guys must be missing the other threads about eliminating bounding skills and standing fulls.

Pop Warner is making similar changes a friend told me in a meeting. it will be Levels 1,2,3 or the USASF rules from what I've heard. Don't know all the exceptions. I like it, but double downs and other things will be taken away, but at least rules wise I like that were all coming together to have the same rules, almost. sorry this is a high school dispute, but had to add in other recent possible cheer changes.
Rec is the only thing I can afford to do and is what i've been doing for 11 years and even coached this past year. If they only let us go to level 3 on the USASF, I wouldn't of been able to become the cheerleader I am now (level 5 flying, level 1 tumbling due to back & knee issues). I only got tumbling at an all-star gym for about three years on and off. Rec is made me the cheerleader I am today and without being able to perform the skills I learned when I was in 6th grade, I wouldn't of been able to make my high school team and further myself. So, I would NOT be in favor of them doing that. If they are trying to reduce injuries they need to get more certified and quality coaches. Not just volunteers who decide they want to do something with their time and were a cheerleader for one year in middle school 30 years ago and let's their 8 year old cheerleaders try baskets without teaching them properly.

It is being discussed though? You guys must be missing the other threads about eliminating bounding skills and standing fulls.
I remember reading about the bounding skills a while back. I thought it was just hearsay and discussion, no action was being taken. If that's the case then I stand corrected. I think most people who are upset by this were just kind of taken by surprise because I had heard nothing leading up to it.

This is coming from a mom who's cp does not cheer in school, she's only in middle school anyway. What does this do for those athletes who have trained with CERTIFIED instructors to learn those skills and are hoping and working towards getting college scholarships, but don't want to or can't afford to do allstars? why are they lowering the bar for these athletes? Why not RAISE the bar for the coaches? I don't understand anyway how a Mrs. Smith the school librarian who just happened to be a cheerleader one year in high school can become a high school cheerleading coach by simply volunteering (no offense to any librarians or high school cheer coaches who just so happen to be librarians. This is not personal just trying to state a point) And then you wonder why athletes are getting hurt? Make certification mandatory for coaches in high school as they do for allstar. Athletes should not be forced to compete allstar just to be noticed by college recruiters. It's insane. This to me just seems like the lazy fix to a problem.

So you can still do standing fulls? From what I read, you can still do a 1 1/2 up, correct?

I cheer on a team that has aspired to have double downs and kick doubles for this coming year. At first, this rule made me really mad. But now I've accepted it because it kinda takes pressure off squads like mine who don't have those skills.

Rec is the only thing I can afford to do and is what i've been doing for 11 years and even coached this past year. If they only let us go to level 3 on the USASF, I wouldn't of been able to become the cheerleader I am now (level 5 flying, level 1 tumbling due to back & knee issues). I only got tumbling at an all-star gym for about three years on and off. Rec is made me the cheerleader I am today and without being able to perform the skills I learned when I was in 6th grade, I wouldn't of been able to make my high school team and further myself. So, I would NOT be in favor of them doing that. If they are trying to reduce injuries they need to get more certified and quality coaches. Not just volunteers who decide they want to do something with their time and were a cheerleader for one year in middle school 30 years ago and let's their 8 year old cheerleaders try baskets without teaching them properly.

Again, that would only be Pop Warner. For some areas, that may be all they have. Maybe for areas that have really good level 4 Pop Warner teams, other rec teams will come about. Right now there are many EP's that offer rec teams the opportunity to compete USASF level 4 that have nothing to do with Pop Warner.

The next question is, if everyone else keeps cutting higher level skills, will USASF feel they are under pressure to do it too? If they cut them, then what?

I remember reading about the bounding skills a while back. I thought it was just hearsay and discussion, no action was being taken. If that's the case then I stand corrected. I think most people who are upset by this were just kind of taken by surprise because I had heard nothing leading up to it.

I'm sorry you haven't heard anything leading up to it. At our rules meetings in IL they have been telling us for years that if the safety issue wasn't addressed soon the doubles would be taken away.

I can go either way with this rule. I coach all star and high school so I have seen both sides of the spectrum. I do NOT like that they are allowing double based flips in pyramids. Not sure why they took away one elite skill and added "flipping" skills into the mix. From my experience inversions seem to be the most dangerous in all stunting. Anytime where you have a flyer upside down they can come down head first. I see high school teams do flipping pyramids all the time and they are horrible.

I think they should level it out. Middle School No full downs higher than a prep level. JV signle downs and Varsity can double. I just think its crazy that they are punishing Varsity teams. I know there are injuries. But thats when its time for the coach to make an educated decision and water down the routine. Let each team play their strength. I personally think tumbling on a hard mat and these coaches telling kids to get their tuck when they can hardly do a BHS is a bigger risk than doubling down. If they dont push a coaches education then soon cheerleading will become a drill team. Whats next to be removed from the plate?

All I have to say is, Cheersport is going to get even bigger now! They are the biggest company offering levels for high school, and I know their HS L4 division keeps growing.... unless this rule change would effect that division somehow?

My best friend is a junior this year and has been contacted by 2 or 3 big cheerleading schools and she only does highschool. not all good cheerleaders do allstar, there are plenty of amazing cheerleaders that are just on their highschool team. this certain girl has arabian to full and full to full SOLID on hard floor. she at one point was working on her standing full and she has never cheered allstar.

Yeah those are the girls that I am hinting at. Many of the girls that cheer for schools like Dunbar and the other bigger KY UCA schools don't tend to cheer all stars and still go on the cheer for UK, Alabama, Tennessee, ect. I am sure that the majority will still be fine with going on to cheer for those schools, but that still leaves those that don't have the opportunity to go to clinics or cheer all stars at a disadvantage.

I also agree with cheerKT, if a coach can't teach a double down then they have no business teaching inversions in pryamids either.

Back