High School No Practice Drives Me Crazy!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 4, 2014
Are you guys allowed to practice on weekends or during school breaks??

We aren't allowed to anymore because we are officially a sport according to Saskatchewan! But this means that we have to follow the rules set for high school sports teams, which means only allowed practices before and after school days. Which majorly cuts into the amount of practice that we can have because of the limited gym time we have. The school also pushes us aside in favour of "actual" sports.

When I was in high school we were allowed to schedule practice whenever, but if it wasn't during when school is in session (like summer vacation, winter break, spring break, etc.) it wasn't considered mandatory and athletes could not be punished for missing. Which led to a lot of problems..... :S

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have a lot of restrictions placed on me and my team which aren't placed on others as the school doesn't deem us as important. We are not allowed to practice on weekends and no competitions on Sundays either. I'm not allowed to hold practice the week of finals, even though basketball and softball is allowed to. I'm only allowed to have 1 practice a week during volleyball season so that the athletes playing both don't get too worn out (they choose to participate in two sports). Seems like this year more than ever I'm getting shot down, pushed around, and kicked out to the hallway to have practice even though I followed the procedures and scheduled practices well in advance. It leaves me to feel as though I'm not wanted, but I'm not there for the administration, I'm there for the girls and despite everything that's thrown our way, we keep pushing back and coming out on top.

That's the same for us. We can't practice during finals week (which is next week) even though our first comp is February 8th and we get three practices a week. Our coach fought for our Tuesday practice super hard. Like she pitched a fit (which we love her for). And our times get cut and bumped around for the other teams (one our coach allowed because the woman wanted to coach her boys team before she was unable to due to health issues so we worked with her schedule) but we've gotten shoved into the hall and up to the bleacher area.

My team shares our practice space with our dance team which is combined both schools from the district. We run into a lot of problems because our AD likes our dance team much more than us. We are usually bumped around carrying the mats and dragging them through the four different gyms at our school (dance room where we practice, wrestling room, old gym, new gym). We have no restrictions on when we can practice or compete just how far away we are allowed to go. Even though our dance team is allowed to go to states and nationals, we are only allowed to stay local, but next year we are going to nationals.

We can't practice on weekends (the school isn't open). We are allowed to practice over vacations, during regular hours only (7-3). School isn't open on holidays, so no practice those days (of course not!)

Are you guys allowed to practice on weekends or during school breaks??

We aren't allowed to anymore because we are officially a sport according to Saskatchewan! But this means that we have to follow the rules set for high school sports teams, which means only allowed practices before and after school days. Which majorly cuts into the amount of practice that we can have because of the limited gym time we have. The school also pushes us aside in favour of "actual" sports.
I live in sask. Actually we have school cheer and when we don't practice I swear I go crazy.

No fear in fierce

I have a lot of restrictions placed on me and my team which aren't placed on others as the school doesn't deem us as important. We are not allowed to practice on weekends and no competitions on Sundays either. I'm not allowed to hold practice the week of finals, even though basketball and softball is allowed to. I'm only allowed to have 1 practice a week during volleyball season so that the athletes playing both don't get too worn out (they choose to participate in two sports). Seems like this year more than ever I'm getting shot down, pushed around, and kicked out to the hallway to have practice even though I followed the procedures and scheduled practices well in advance. It leaves me to feel as though I'm not wanted, but I'm not there for the administration, I'm there for the girls and despite everything that's thrown our way, we keep pushing back and coming out on top.
This is why the sport legislation HAS to be more flexible. It seems like an excuse to limit cheerleading teams even further. My blood was boiling as I read this. Have things changed?

Are other athletic teams allowed to practice during these blackout days for you?

I'm a NYS cheer coach and we recently went through the transition from "activity" to sport. No restrictions on practices during the season, unless the school is closed of course.

This is why the sport legislation HAS to be more flexible. It seems like an excuse to limit cheerleading teams even further. My blood was boiling as I read this. Have things changed?

Things were a bit different this season as our AD was out on maternity leave and our fill in AD is the basketball coach/PE teacher. He doesn't listen to drama, excuses, or believe that homework is an excuse for skipping practice. I had 100% backing this season. Sadly, our AD is back now and already it's started in. I like our AD as a person, but just feel that she doesn't allow my team to be the team they could be if she would just stop feeding into their excuses and drama.

Back