High School No Practice Drives Me Crazy!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Things were a bit different this season as our AD was out on maternity leave and our fill in AD is the basketball coach/PE teacher. He doesn't listen to drama, excuses, or believe that homework is an excuse for skipping practice. I had 100% backing this season. Sadly, our AD is back now and already it's started in. I like our AD as a person, but just feel that she doesn't allow my team to be the team they could be if she would just stop feeding into their excuses and drama.
Cp's varsity team was very senior heavy (I think 10 out of 22?) and while it is the coach's first year as varsity coach, she has worked with this group for many years in MS and HS and was way too lenient on them and the rest of the team because of this specific group and the parents. Talented girls who thought they were better than they were which was conveyed by missed practices and many poor competition results. Have heard that the coach may take the team from large to small this year rather than pulling up kids from JV or incoming freshman who do not have the same skills as the remaining girls, and we are hoping that she toughens up between now and then and gets rid of any remaining poor attitudes and work ethics. Either that or make them a sideline team and call it a day.

Cp's varsity team was very senior heavy (I think 10 out of 22?) and while it is the coach's first year as varsity coach, she has worked with this group for many years in MS and HS and was way too lenient on them and the rest of the team because of this specific group and the parents. Talented girls who thought they were better than they were which was conveyed by missed practices and many poor competition results. Have heard that the coach may take the team from large to small this year rather than pulling up kids from JV or incoming freshman who do not have the same skills as the remaining girls, and we are hoping that she toughens up between now and then and gets rid of any remaining poor attitudes and work ethics. Either that or make them a sideline team and call it a day.

I loved competing, it's in my blood, but I so enjoyed my team this year when we were just a sideline team. My ladies made treat bags for all the basketball players before each game. There were always tons of signs all over the school supporting the team. They always were coming up with new ways of incorporating the band, fans, the players, the coaches. They were able to do several special dances for games which allowed them to still show off without having to compete. Even though we were only a sideline team, we had just as many practices, worked just as hard, and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm now in the process of planning for this years tryouts (yeah, I know I'm running late on this, student teaching is killing me right now) and am debating about how big of a team I wanna take.

Ontario isnt like that either... Holy that would drive me nuts!

That depends on your school. The school where I coach, we can''t practice for the week of exams and the week before exams. It's a semestered-school, so that means no practices for the last two weeks of January. So, you're off for two weeks over Christmas, back for a couple of weeks, then off for two weeks (three by the time credit completion days are done). No way are we going to compete in early February!!!

Back