All-Star No Tolerance For Underage Drinking At Worlds?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have very strong feelings about underage drinking but I'm completely taking that out of this situation and asking simply with 365 day in a year and a season of incredibly hard work and fund-raising to get to what may be their or their teammates 1 shot at competing at Worlds can they not go 3 days without drinking? No one can perform at their best after a night of drinking; I don't care how good you are. I would think that the disappointment of doing badly or even just not doing your best because you were not at your highest level would long outlast the disappointment of not partying at Worlds.

I'm confused as to if some of you think the drinking goes on on Friday and Saturday night?!?! I didn't see ONE athlete who was competing on Saturday, drinking on Friday. Athletes are smarter than that. The only time I saw drinking was Thursday night and Sunday night....when teams were getting there and after they had competed. I HIGHLY doubt anyone would get s-faced the night before they compete!

fiercenowayyy said:
I'm confused as to if some of you think the drinking goes on on Friday and Saturday night?!?! I didn't see ONE athlete who was competing on Saturday, drinking on Friday. Athletes are smarter than that. The only time I saw drinking was Thursday night and Sunday night....when teams were getting there and after they had competed. I HIGHLY doubt anyone would get s-faced the night before they compete!

I don't really care if they drank Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.. next Tuesday. Unfortunately, TEENAGERS are not "smarter than that". God forbid something would have happened to somebody at the block party or anywhere during Worlds (alcohol poisoning, overdose, jumping off something, etc. resulting in death). Not only would that have been awful for the athlete, the parents, the team and the gym but it could have serious consquences for the entire USASF, IASF, and all-star cheer community. Are we really saying it's okay to risk that because "it's just sooo easy for underage kids to get alcohol"? I don't care what they do at home, but they're not just in Orlando to hang out with their friends, they are here to compete in an athletic championship. It's not worth it.

I'm sure there are plenty of athletes who would give up a weekend of drinking, partying and hanging out with their friends for the opportunity to compete at Worlds.

I have heard that it is not uncommon for some athletes to drink the nights before competition. Not all or even a lot but enough. There was a thread last year about drinking at Worlds and many of the comments were about competing with a hang-over. You are right though Sunday night would not affect how anyone did at Worlds. That would be a lot of different issues already addressed. If no cheerleaders drank Friday or Saturday night (if they were competing Sunday) I stand corrected.

I know of girls a couple years back that were picked up from the airport on Saturday morning because they had Prom friday night and were still puking from the "festivities" and they were on a team that won worlds that year so even the top athletes make poor choices. The first year my daughter went to Worlds we had an adult in each room with the girls and we managed to have no troubles. The next year when we did not have an adult in each room we had a couple of issues, nothing big but it just shows that if you give a kid an inch they WILL take a MILE :) I was the chaperon for the block party the first year my daughter went and while it wasn't everyone there were many young girls barely dressed falling all over the place drunk. I love the idea of a celebration for the athletes, but honestly if Disney, or USASF, or the coaches and owners don't take steps to ensure athletes are following the rules/laws then their is no need for the party at all. It appears the situation is only getting worse every year :(

If you're such a stickler for underage drinking you should be for violence as well ... just saying. Like it's been said I'm sure there was a lot of underage drinking and I'm afraid a complaint to USASF isn't going to magically fix the problem. I get you're frustrated because of a bad experience but some things can't be avoided. As far as them being uninvited to come back next year... Do you plan on USASF uninviting every gym that had underage girls drinking? Good luck having a Worlds next year
as an organization that has members the USASF either condones breaking the law or not, there is no middle ground on this.

The drinking is NOT the problem. The problem is obnoxious, inappropriate BEHAVIOR. It does not matter what country you are from or what the drinking age is. what matters is behavior that infringes on the rights of others. As a ticket buying guest of the park you have the right to expect the freedom to enjoy the park without the harassment! Drinking is no excuse for bad manners, and harassing behavior, Disney should have kicked them out!

I know of girls a couple years back that were picked up from the airport on Saturday morning because they had Prom friday night and were still puking from the "festivities" and they were on a team that won worlds that year so even the top athletes make poor choices. The first year my daughter went to Worlds we had an adult in each room with the girls and we managed to have no troubles. The next year when we did not have an adult in each room we had a couple of issues, nothing big but it just shows that if you give a kid an inch they WILL take a MILE :) I was the chaperon for the block party the first year my daughter went and while it wasn't everyone there were many young girls barely dressed falling all over the place drunk. I love the idea of a celebration for the athletes, but honestly if Disney, or USASF, or the coaches and owners don't take steps to ensure athletes are following the rules/laws then their is no need for the party at all. It appears the situation is only getting worse every year :(

I remember in 2009, a team had a prom there cuz it was the same weekend...

i feel like this thread should have never been started because what goes on with the athletes at a gym should be the gyms business, not the whole fierceboard's business. I had a long talk with my friend about this on the way to the gym and we agreed that if anyone is caught then the gym should deal with it, not everybody else.
it is common knowledge that at the block party EVERYBODY is drinking. i'm not saying it is right whatsoever, but that's what happens there. World champions, finalists, craptastic allstars, everyone drinks there. it's up to the gym to enforce the rules and not up to the USASF to babysit thousands of kids. You may not agree with what choices some people make, but it is nobody but the gyms business what goes on with the athletes.

i feel like this thread should have never been started because what goes on with the athletes at a gym should be the gyms business, not the whole fierceboard's business.

Not that I don't agree with other points of your post but you realize Fierceboard is a message board to talk about cheerleading right? If what goes on with athletes should only be dealt with by the gym why we do analyze teams and routines? Why do we talk about people's injuries? ...Why discuss anything?

Not that I don't agree with other points of your post but you realize Fierceboard is a message board to talk about cheerleading right? If what goes on with athletes should only be dealt with by the gym why we do analyze teams and routines? Why do we talk about people's injuries? ...Why discuss anything?
What i mean is if an athlete chooses to make bad decisions i feel like it should be the gyms business, not everyone elses. i didnt mean that routines and such. i meant what goes on outside of the gym.

fiercekayy said:
it is common knowledge that at the block party EVERYBODY is drinking

Except that they're not. Some are there to genuinely enjoy the idea of the block party, riding the rides late at night & being able to celebrate a great weekend, with their teammates. What a concept..

Except that they're not. Some are there to genuinely enjoy the idea of the block party, riding the rides late at night & being able to celebrate a great weekend, with their teammates. What a concept..
Well a majority of the athletes who are over the age of 16. I know there are some kids who disagree with drinking at disney, but unfortunately those kids are a minority. At the block party you're bound to run into drunk people. Last year i didn't go to the block party but from some of the stories my friends on my team (which was a junior team) told me, it didn't really seem like a place for younger children to be. I agree that the concept of the block party is for teams to celebrate, but unfortunately many people feel like in order to celebrate there must be alcohol.

i feel like this thread should have never been started because what goes on with the athletes at a gym should be the gyms business, not the whole fierceboard's business. I had a long talk with my friend about this on the way to the gym and we agreed that if anyone is caught then the gym should deal with it, not everybody else.
it is common knowledge that at the block party EVERYBODY is drinking. i'm not saying it is right whatsoever, but that's what happens there. World champions, finalists, craptastic allstars, everyone drinks there. it's up to the gym to enforce the rules and not up to the USASF to babysit thousands of kids. You may not agree with what choices some people make, but it is nobody but the gyms business what goes on with the athletes.
Sorry to DISAGREE. But the USASF that sanctions athletes does have a huge responsibility to discourage and penalize unlawful behavior at events sponsored by the organization. Also, sponsoring cheer companies that have paid for the bids have a huge public relations obligation and should expect the athletes representing them to obey the law.

I know EXACTLY who you're talking about! They were on my bus on the way to the block party, REEKING of alcohol, and even had open containers in water bottles and red cups drinking on the bus. They were out of their seats and stumbling around the bus, and at one point one even landed on my lap and were leaning on me, using my shoulder for support until I looked up at them as if to say "Um what are you doing..?" and they got up but they were loud and annoying and clearly intoxicated.

Aside from this group, I saw a girl looking like a HOT MESS at Hollywood Studios. She was falling all over the floor and her friends, also intoxicated, were cracking up and screaming/laughing at her to get up. Pitiful.

Regardless if these are people from a different country and they have a lower drinking age, they're in America and they should play by our rules. They were just plain annoying.

Back