All-Star No Tolerance For Underage Drinking At Worlds?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know a lot of us have read this thread and been really discouraged by some of the athletes behavior talked about here and the rationalizing of underage drinking. I just want to say that it has actually given me hope to read all of the many more replies saying it's not ok. Whenever I hear "they're going to drink anyway every kid does" from a parent, I think- No they all don't, some do... but I'd bet money yours does after hearing you say that! Thank you for really making me feel like there are more parents not saying that. Sometimes I think we tend to only hear the bad things. So yes I think that Worlds and the USASF need to follow through with their rules, rules aren't rules without consequences! But for this post-Thank You for giving me faith in most of the parents out there, (not saying kids that drink must have bad parents, kids make mistakes, I do think with strong parents they have a better chance of not making the huge ones or making the same ones over and over). Thank You to all the many athletes that make the right and sometimes hard choice to do the right thing.
Having read every post on this thread I see much more good than bad. Thank you.

I was actually more disturbed by the dance party...I noticed some people drunk but I didn't see anyone past the point of intoxication...but that's my own observations...

The team you are talking about I knew was drinking most if all that I knew were of age to drink..not that it's acceptable to be drunk at a party where there are younger children...I wanted to drink but no one of age on my team did because we knew better. Also a lotttt of french people don't know much engish and this is a fact that the team that you are talking about that is from Quebec do not know much english..the canadian anthem is known to all canadians in french and english we are taught both in elementary school...so it may have seemed very rude that they said they didn't understand..but the person or group of people you have have talked for the most part I bet didn't understand as Quebecois don't learn french in school unless it's learned in the home or on their own...
The drinking age in quebec is 18
drinking age in ontario and most other provinces is 19
it isn't "legal" for people to drink with their parents although many "cultured" parents do not mind ...I'm Italian and I was allowed to have a few drinks at family events and holidays when my parents were there.

I am not condoning what these group of people did...it was probably rude...but I in my opinion some of the blame should be put on the coaches that should be with teams or telling their teams that drinking is not tolerated by any means . Also everyone coming in was checked for bags etc...So obviously people should be searched more extensively before being let into the park.

and by french I meant English...they don't learn English unless they learn it on their own or its spoken in the home

Nothing's more embarrassing than being messy, getting sick in public on the subway platform, and being aware enough to realize everyone else is shying away from you to the opposite ends of the platform because you're 'that girl.' It's just shame-inducing. I think I apologized to my friend 20x for being 'that girl.'

In other words - vomiting is NOT hot.

Wow. Really? You think I might come into contact with many drunk people in my life? :rolleyes: That's not the issue. And the issue isn't college kids drinking. The MAJORITY of athletes at Worlds are 18 and under, not over. Is it OK for the college kids that are over 21? Sure. But I doubt they are the ones falling down drunk. My experience (and I'm a lot older than most of you, so trust me, I have enough experience to speak on this) is that when there is a group of kids and some are falling down drunk, screaming and laughing at each other, those are not the ones who are over 21. They're usually the 16 year olds. So no, I won't "just learn to deal with it". Unlike most people these days, I have no problem telling kids when they're out of line. As for the girls not hurting the OP: one, they were annoying the @$%* out of her, which is painful. Two, have you people never seen a Lifetime movie??? There are dangers associated with alcohol - I know none of you KIDS want to realize that because you think it'll never happen to you...but for the gazillionth time: heaven help us when someone gets seriously hurt, killed, raped, or any other horrible thing you can imagine at Worlds. I bet everyone will be singing a whole different tune then.

But yes, I will at least listen enough to you guys to make the decision that neither of my kids will ever go to the Block Party at Worlds until they are over 18. Ever.

As to the part I bolded: what's funny is if you read the other threads about legalities in routines, too many boys, etc. the standard party line is that the USASF people are STILL in Orlando, even now. And that's why none of those issues are being addressed yet. So much for the big rush to get home, huh?

Also, the USASF is the one who made the statement that underage drinking would not be tolerated. The whole line of thought of getting rid of the DJ was to make it less like a night club and more like a party in the park for EVERYONE. Since they are the ones who stated it wouldn't be tolerated, I guess that it's not so unreasonable for all of us to be sitting here saying "OK USASF...when does the 'will not be tolerated' part kick in?"
First, yeah Mom! Secondly, the 'largest cheer company in the world' owns USASF, AACCA and are the responsible party as the event producers. In the book, "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"....the moral tells a circular tale. The same 'circular tale' applies here. If, for some reason, the Disney Event would be cancelled, then the Company would lose MILLIONS, because they rely on the revenue from the competition in the TV.com, the uniform sales, the "must go to the summer camp", the "$278 average per person" that is spent with the cheer vendors, the kick back from the Disney hotels, the kick back from the Disney Park Passes, the kick back from the bid travel...and so forth. It is in their best interest to blame the parents. The coaches will not stop it as too many coaches are in the Family Plan, rely on the kick back rebate money they get (yeah, parents....it really is YOUR money as you were over charged to begin with!)
So, parents, you are left to fend for your own child...until a sexual incident or an alcohol death can bring a law suit....you are on your own to stop this insanity. And we are trying to bring Cheer into the sports world? They are laughing at us already.... Don't kid yourself....other sports are not squeaky clean, but they certainly are not this extreme every year at every major competition. The cheerleaders who perform this kind of behavior do not respect themselves or their 'sport'. The coaches are too afraid to take a stand as their rebates could go away. The organizers, the safety organization and the 'world's largest cheer company' will not have a profit arm go dry. If the competition were cancelled, the advertisers for VarsityTV.com (like Gatorade) would go away.
So until someone breaks the profit cycle...this will continue to go on.....and on....or they will continue to point the finger at the parents and say, "Why aren't you controlling your child". Well, my answer will be, "I will be looking for the complimentary room with the bid".....

I've never been to worlds, but I've been to NCA College Nationals in Daytona. From what I saw, nobody drank the night before they competed. However, after finals/challenge cup ended, pretty much the ENTIRE competition became wasted, 21 years old or not. It was actually slightly amusing to see the dramatic change from happy peppy cheerleaders to staggering drunk ones. I've heard stories about people doing shots immediately after finishing their routine at finals and coming to awards wasted. (And no...it was not just the 21+ members of the team.) I think some of you are being a little dramatic about not allowing your kids to go to the block party until they're 18/never allow them to go. Drinking happens. If they have their heads on correctly (as I'm sure they do), all they'll do is point and laugh at the drunk loser and continue having a great time with their teammates.

I've never been to worlds, but I've been to NCA College Nationals in Daytona. From what I saw, nobody drank the night before they competed. However, after finals/challenge cup ended, pretty much the ENTIRE competition became wasted, 21 years old or not. It was actually slightly amusing to see the dramatic change from happy peppy cheerleaders to staggering drunk ones. I've heard stories about people doing shots immediately after finishing their routine at finals and coming to awards wasted. (And no...it was not just the 21+ members of the team.) I think some of you are being a little dramatic about not allowing your kids to go to the block party until they're 18/never allow them to go. Drinking happens. If they have their heads on correctly (as I'm sure they do), all they'll do is point and laugh at the drunk loser and continue having a great time with their teammates.

You are right.."DRINKING HAPPENS" when there are no consequences for a violation. There can be no violation without a rule in place. I am not so sure how amusing it would be for an athletic director to know that their underage students were representing their University in such a manner, especially since the fallout would ultimately fall back on the University and the coach in the event of a not so amusing tragedy. Are you further implicating that coaches are drinking with their 21+ members of the team? I hope not as their are way too many amazing collegiate coach's that would resent your implication. Also, I highly doubt the ENTIRE competition became wasted. I am certain that many a coach values their position and respects their University enough to oversee underage drinking, and yes even at the collegiate level.

Back