High School Not Approving Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's wonderful! I wish I would get my mom to come around that easy! I definitely don't have the same situation as you, but I am trying out for high school cheerleading in June and my mom doesn't really approve... she doesn't say much but whenever I bring up how excited I am for it she always starts talking about the drama program at the high school which is what she did in high school. I have to do an activity going into high school so yeah... any tips on how to bring my mom around?
High school cheerleading has more drama than most drama departments! It is guaranteed to be anything but boring.

Would I have picked for my cps' to do cheer? No, but it is my job to teach them how to make right choices and support them in the ones they make.

Good luck with tryouts! Stay sharp and be loud!

That's wonderful! I wish I would get my mom to come around that easy! I definitely don't have the same situation as you, but I am trying out for high school cheerleading in June and my mom doesn't really approve... she doesn't say much but whenever I bring up how excited I am for it she always starts talking about the drama program at the high school which is what she did in high school. I have to do an activity going into high school so yeah... any tips on how to bring my mom around?
This is YOUR life, your path, your destiny. She can talk to you about the drama program, it's fine. But she can't pressure you into following her foot steps.

On the other hand, not saying much is not disapproving. Will she let you try out for the team or she clearly said no?

This is YOUR life, your path, your destiny. She can talk to you about the drama program, it's fine. But she can't pressure you into following her foot steps.

On the other hand, not saying much is not disapproving. Will she let you try out for the team or she clearly said no?
The double standard in this is funny, too. I guarantee that other parents hearing about this wouldn't approve of her trying to force her into the drama program, they would be HEATED if the mom were trying to force her into cheer.

It's best to show them videos. I did ask. I would put the video on in the family room and press play right when she sits down. If you show determination and practice at home they will say yes for sure. If they still say no tryout and work so hard. Then when results are posted for who made the team show them you are proud of being a cheerleader.

Here's another update:
I show my mom a video about an former NFL player son doing cheer and she sends it to my dad. My dad text back and says "there is a difference between cheerleading and prancing elites. Right now he's a prancing elite." I had so many emotions go through me so I just froze. My mom could tell that it bothered me but I pretended like it didn't.

Here's another update:
I show my mom a video about an former NFL player son doing cheer and she sends it to my dad. My dad text back and says "there is a difference between cheerleading and prancing elites. Right now he's a prancing elite." I had so many emotions go through me so I just froze. My mom could tell that it bothered me but I pretended like it didn't.
Ugh. Disgusting. I would be SO. MAD.

Here's another update:
I'm so sorry your father is not on board with you wanting to be a cheerleader. It sounds like he might never be okay with it. I'm hoping he does come around. You might just have to accept his disapproval. On the bright side your mom wants you to be one and very accepting. Btw did you try out yet or make the team?

Here's another update:
Weird, because prancing elites don't tumble, don't stunt, don't jump... when you say things like that, you clearly lack arguments.

High school cheerleading has more drama than most drama departments! It is guaranteed to be anything but boring.

Would I have picked for my cps' to do cheer? No, but it is my job to teach them how to make right choices and support them in the ones they make.

Good luck with tryouts! Stay sharp and be loud!
Thank you!

She will let me try out, but she says she thinks that it is too much, and that I will quit when it gets hard. I don't understand this, because drama rehearsals take up just as much time as cheerleading. I think she will let me do it, she just won't go to comps or games or stuff...

The double standard in this is funny, too. I guarantee that other parents hearing about this wouldn't approve of her trying to force her into the drama program, they would be HEATED if the mom were trying to force her into cheer.
I know! Reading different threads on Fierce Board where there are stories of pushy moms, my situation is totally different. My mom doesn't want me to fly, and couldn't care less about positions or what team I'm on.

It's best to show them videos. I did ask. I would put the video on in the family room and press play right when she sits down. If you show determination and practice at home they will say yes for sure. If they still say no tryout and work so hard. Then when results are posted for who made the team show them you are proud of being a cheerleader.
Thank you! She sees that I want to do it, but I think it will be an ongoing battle for her to support and care about it.

Here's another update:
Your dad.... I applaud you for sticking through that and not giving up what makes you passionate. You mentioned your parents aren't together. Is there a schedule where you spend a lot of time with your dad? Is there any way you can get that changed? However it sounds like you are handling it way better than I would be in your shoes. Good luck!

Back