High School Not Competing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2012
The JV girls and some of the freshman girls want to cheer for competition but none of the varsity girls want to so our coach isn't letting us because there aren't a lot of competitions for us to compete in.. What should we do? Should we just let it go or should we talk to her about it again and see what she says?

The JV girls and some of the freshman girls want to cheer for competition but none of the varsity girls want to so our coach isn't letting us because there aren't a lot of competitions for us to compete in.. What should we do? Should we just let it go or should we talk to her about it again and see what she says?

I would talk to your coach. Perhaps there is more to her decision than just what you've seen. Ask her if it's possible for just those who want to compete to compete, even if it's just 1 or 2 competitions. If the answer is still no, then see what type of compromise you can do. Put together some special routines for games for example. As a coach, I was told when I took over the squad that competition wasn't an option, the girls aren't that talented (boy, were they wrong). My second year, we did two small competitions, game time stuff. Third year, full out competing. This year, no competition because administration thought it was "too much pressure" on the girls. Instead of me blaming them, I just simply said that we won't be competing citing all the drama from the year before. Sometimes there is more to a coach's decision than what is told, but talking to her might clear it up.

I would talk to your coach. Perhaps there is more to her decision than just what you've seen. Ask her if it's possible for just those who want to compete to compete, even if it's just 1 or 2 competitions. If the answer is still no, then see what type of compromise you can do. Put together some special routines for games for example. As a coach, I was told when I took over the squad that competition wasn't an option, the girls aren't that talented (boy, were they wrong). My second year, we did two small competitions, game time stuff. Third year, full out competing. This year, no competition because administration thought it was "too much pressure" on the girls. Instead of me blaming them, I just simply said that we won't be competing citing all the drama from the year before. Sometimes there is more to a coach's decision than what is told, but talking to her might clear it up.
Was drama the actual reason for them not allowing you to compete?

Keep in mind that it is a lot of extra time, effort & $$$ to compete (not only for the team BUT also for the coaching staff). Quite honestly, the coaches probably have their hands full without adding competitions to the schedule, therefore if a good portion of the program isn't 100% dedicated to competing, that is A LOT of effort to ask of the coaches. Things the coaches have to add to their plate:
-separate & additional practices
-managing competition costs (organizing competition uniforms, shirt, hair bows, make up, choreography, music, transportation to/from competitions, any over night accommodations if traveling, etc.)
-researching/putting together a competition schedule
-collecting of competition fees
-parent wrangling (keeping all of the parents from going crazy about where their kid is placed in routine, how routine looks, how they place at competitions, emails, i.e. keeping everyone calm and in the loop)
-incurring costs as a coach during travel/competitions (food, gas, accommodation, etc.) which comes out of their salary
etc. etc. etc.
All of this work comes with no added salary or school appreciation for the most part. It is a lot to take on, especially if you don't have the full interest of a program. It also adds to the complications/work/money the more that a coach has to rely on outside sources for choreography, music, competition knowledge, etc. ( a coach with choreography & competition experience vs. a coach that is more comfortable with sideline).

Perhaps ask 1 more time with a business proposal approach. Have a list of who is interested, have some valid reasons why competing would be worth the time and effort this year (so that the younger squads can get some experience) and perhaps try to bargain for 1-2 competitions as a JV/freshman team. If the coach says no after that though, do not press it.

Was drama the actual reason for them not allowing you to compete?

Yes! Which I think was purposeful. The girls I had last season were all for looking awesome, but didn't want to work for it. They didn't quite understand what was needed from them and when it seemed like it was hard, they would start complaining about me, the other girls, competing. Their drama ruined it for others.

Yes! Which I think was purposeful. The girls I had last season were all for looking awesome, but didn't want to work for it. They didn't quite understand what was needed from them and when it seemed like it was hard, they would start complaining about me, the other girls, competing. Their drama ruined it for others.
That's irritating! And somehow, those types of girls never seem to learn.

I think that the best way to show you are ready is to work hard and keep great attitudes no matter what. I would try to prove to the coach that, as a team, you are ready and willing. It will be a lot of time and effort for everyone. But, the experience could be rewarding for the team and for the coach.

Good luck!

Back