All-Star Numbers On Large Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While people seem to dislike the leftover nuggets with 30, anyone who was toyed with the go large or medium idea really love 30. It is a very comfortable number with some flexibility to build a team. I think the number will drop to 30 for all divisions eventually (I think its allowed to happen next year??).

Next thing to tackle: age grid.

There was no "industry wide" until after the USASF was formed around 2004. We all pretty much went by NCA's standard (in our region) until USASF's took over.

These were the numbers for the largest possible division you could enter:

In our region, 20 was the most you could have until 1995 ish, 25 for about 2 years after that, 30 for about 4 years after that.

This was the first year I can recall where different levels/age groups had different max numbers. (not counting "small" divisions)

Hey thanks. Being a bit conservative in my tendancy, I like to have a historical reference to evaluate change. Another thing on the history, in the 90-2000 era, did NCA standard define standard all over the country or just your region? Or was your region pretty much all star cheer country at that time?

While people seem to dislike the leftover nuggets with 30, anyone who was toyed with the go large or medium idea really love 30. It is a very comfortable number with some flexibility to build a team. I think the number will drop to 30 for all divisions eventually (I think its allowed to happen next year??).

Next thing to tackle: age grid.

I know your gym has had a good experience with that number. When you say anyone, how many other gyms/teams are you talking about?

I don't think 30 means you have left over nuggets. Tsunami last year went to Worlds last year as large with 34, I think. So we didn't need 9 stunts to max out. It came in mighty handy with the re-working of the routine in finals. Also I never thought of them as extra nuggets, alternates or leftovers. They were Tsunami.

Hey thanks. Being a bit conservative in my tendancy, I like to have a historical reference to evaluate change. Another thing on the history, in the 90-2000 era, did NCA standard define standard all over the country or just your region? Or was your region pretty much all star cheer country at that time?

I don't recall what other regions did. I do think that CheerSport had no limit whatsoever for a time, but I do not know the specifics.

I know your gym has had a good experience with that number. When you say anyone, how many other gyms/teams are you talking about?

Actually we were somewhat hurt by it. We are the largest we've ever been and ran out of room in areas at one point. I think CA and some other large ones may have experienced it as well. But individual success can only go so far if the environment is suffering. If an environment can be created where the barriers to entry are low and any area can be made to create and have a successful cheerleading gym then thats a good thing. Allstar needs to be like football.. everywhere.

Oh, and did that come from NCA or did CheerSport start that trend?

This was the USASF saying that senior large Worlds divisions would be different on the age grid from non-worlds divisions. If you meant the small divisions, I don't know whom started the trend.

CheerSport definitely started two major improvements at have helped the industry flourish: levels and spring floors.

This was the USASF saying that senior large Worlds divisions would be different on the age grid from non-worlds divisions. If you meant the small divisions, I don't know whom started the trend.

CheerSport definitely started two major improvements at have helped the industry flourish: levels and spring floors.

Definitely. You can tell when a good idea hits cheerleading because people swarm it. That was one of the main indicators to me that 30 was the right number. Logistically speaking it was so easy it is hard not to do it.

Actually we were somewhat hurt by it. We are the largest we've ever been and ran out of room in areas at one point. I think CA and some other large ones may have experienced it as well. But individual success can only go so far if the environment is suffering. If an environment can be created where the barriers to entry are low and any area can be made to create and have a successful cheerleading gym then thats a good thing. Allstar needs to be like football.. everywhere.

The same is true for us. The new rule has cost us money in the short-term as well. However, a healthy, competitive industry is vital for our, or any gym's long term success.

We have 2 large teams and 2 small teams, but we probably would have ended up the same regardless of it being 36 or 32.

our large teams are currently at 29 and 28 but we had 1 large team with 24 last year. But whenever there would be enough teams to split large and small we would only compete against 1 or 2 other large teams which is disappointing.

Hopefully with the change there will be more large teams to compete against this year

Back