All-Star Nutrition Advice For Cheerleaders?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 2, 2015
Hey guys, just ran across an article Gabi Butler posted on her Facebook page about nutrition and low energy levels. I found it extremely interesting and thought I might share: 6 Reasons Why You're Too Tired To Hit Up Cheer & Tumbling Practice (And How To Fix It)

Personally, I know I definitely don't get enough sleep at night so I might consider the idea of taking naps. Anyone else do this? Also curious to hear any suggestions about how to eat healthier, especially at school! I try and eat my veggies when I can, but lunch time is a mess! we usually buy chicken fingers and chocolate milk... so much for getting abs in 2015 :p

Good article, but no athlete should "fuel" themselves up with this...
  • Chocolate Bars
  • Cookies
  • Doughnuts
  • Skittles
  • Cheesecake

True. I think he meant that's what is possible and that you can enjoy life once in a while. I know there's like, zero chance I'll eat clean 100% of the time.

And agreed @dawgshow gotta have my Dippin Dots :rolleyes:

(Almost) everything tasty is bad before comp but fine after!

A part of my coaching certifications is nutrition. Yesterday I had to tell my girls what to eat and what not to eat before a practice or a competition. Seriously, the menu is boring and sad for a teenager. But it is so important to put the right fuel in the body!

Best thing is to always bring food from home. You can control better what you eat if you prepare your own food. I know the fast food is tempting, but fat takes a lot of energy to digest. It's less energy for physical effort. Imagine now if you are nervous: digestion becomes harder.

Also, put the good carbs before competition and fat and proteins after competition. By good carbs I mean pastas, rice, cereals, etc.

(Almost) everything tasty is bad before comp but fine after!

A part of my coaching certifications is nutrition. Yesterday I had to tell my girls what to eat and what not to eat before a practice or a competition. Seriously, the menu is boring and sad for a teenager. But it is so important to put the right fuel in the body!

Best thing is to always bring food from home. You can control better what you eat if you prepare your own food. I know the fast food is tempting, but fat takes a lot of energy to digest. It's less energy for physical effort. Imagine now if you are nervous: digestion becomes harder.

Also, put the good carbs before competition and fat and proteins after competition. By good carbs I mean pastas, rice, cereals, etc.
Trying to make cp14 understand that junk before and after practice will not get her those abs she desires. She really does get it, but just loves food.

Thanks for that @KPep - really good to know! I'm definitely going to start following the recommendations for the next week or so and see how I feel. I'm also considering getting his book. It's only 10 bucks on Amazon and judging by his article, he seems to know what he's talking about.

btw i peaked around the site and found this gem too: How The "Cheer Athletics Diet" Will Leave You Broken And Miserable

basically tears apart the Cheer Athletics diet lol (even though we now know it was a joke). It's sad though, I do see girls on twitter still thinking it's real. Not sure how girls can take it so seriously :eek:

Trying to make cp14 understand that junk before and after practice will not get her those abs she desires. She really does get it, but just loves food.

To get that 6-pack, you have to have less than 6% of fat in the body. They are the most difficult muscles to define.

Very true. And you can do all the exercise in the world but poor nutrition will just negate it.
At that point, you just mess with your health. Exercise and good nutrition have to come together.

Here in Quebec we have a very bad meal called "poutine". It's basically fries, cheese and bbq sauce. Some of my girls would eat that before practice and then complain because they were tired. Well I am no shoulder to cry on! Same with another who almost threw up after a full-out because she had a very spicy and heavy lunch.

At that point, you just mess with your health. Exercise and good nutrition have to come together.

Here in Quebec we have a very bad meal called "poutine". It's basically fries, cheese and bbq sauce. Some of my girls would eat that before practice and then complain because they were tired. Well I am no shoulder to cry on! Same with another who almost threw up after a full-out because she had a very spicy and heavy lunch.
Lol I love poutine. But rarely eat it because of what it is! I cannot even imagine a kid eating that before cheer practice and making it all the way through.

haha @KPep I've tried poutine and I definitely cannot see myself eating that before practice. It is damn delicious though! By the way I'm going to try making this today: Instagram

Will let you guys know how it goes!

Back