One Answer To: "how Much Do You Have To Weigh To Be A Flyer?"

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by StuntMonkey, Jan 28, 2013.

1. icheer4u

icheer4u I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
  2. BuegeSmalls

BuegeSmalls Uni designer and state IDer-Most positive shimmies Blondemafia

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I never wanted to be a large coed flyer, just an all girl base :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

3. amerifill321

amerifill321 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    parakeetpark
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I know this is a old thread. But just to let you guys know that this info helped a lot. My daughter is currently a base and would really love to fly. She is already 5'3" at 13 years old and expected to grow even taller. This will make her work harder for her goal. Thanks.

4. gymcatmomx2

gymcatmomx2 When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My oldest daughter is 5'2" and weighs 115lbs. She has always been a main base in all-star and school cheer, however, she has been taking stunt classes recently because she wants to cheer in college. She has been to 2 college cheer clinics and learned a back tuck basket among other partner stunting skills in a very short period of time. Last night she performed a one man rewind at a college clinic! She went with a friend that is a flyer and said the college reps were trying to recruit her friend who is smaller and has more experience. These were junior colleges that have competition teams. I asked her if she was disappointed that they didn't try to recruit her and her response was "Mom, I want to cheer in college, not go to college to cheer". I thought that was a very mature statement.

5. arispurplecheerkitty

arispurplecheerkitty I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    My gym is great for that! They don't care how much you weigh or how tall you are. They lean towards flexibility and skill

No fear in fierce

6. YOU_JUST_LOST

YOU_JUST_LOST I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete

Wow, this was very nicely written... I of course am one of those girls that knows she bigger then most fliers and would do anything to be that petite little thing, but with that being said I worked my booty off and made the best out of what I had and am proud to say that I competed with cheer extreme at worlds 2012 as the center flier for all stunts and baskets, and still to this day have a struggle dealing with being that girl that is 5'5 125 pounds and thinks no one wants to stunt with her because she's the biggest flier. "And for every girl in the air that thinks she should be smaller, there are bases on the ground that think they could be bigger too".......that is so true, and I have never thought of that. It opens my eyes to a whole new prospective of even my own team mates, and how they work and why they excel in some areas and aren't the greatest in others! Thanks for this!

7. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I tell that to people all the time! Everytime I hear a girl say shes too tall to fly I remind her that there is a reason small coed exists;)

My flyer is 5'8 I think? but the is a boss at pulling up.

8. TinyBlondie15

TinyBlondie15 I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    lolotires
    Twitter:
    lolotires
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Old thread but I am a flyer on a small coed team and am one of the tallest at 5'1/2". However, I am the lightest at 90lbs. We have a girl who's 4'7", 2 girls around 4'10", me and another girl are around the same height, and our tallest is at 5'5". We do a mixture of all girl and coed stunts. My bases can get me up but my flexibility is no where as good as it needs to be :p

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. EricaElite

EricaElite I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Totally off topic, but we go to the same school :)

10. TinyBlondie15

TinyBlondie15 I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    lolotires
    Twitter:
    lolotires
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Really?! You should find me sometime!

11. EricaElite

EricaElite I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Yes! I just had my last final today, but I'm sure I'll find you next semester!

12. TealArmySparkle

TealArmySparkle Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I'm considering college cheer next year and have based all my life which would make me a little heavier due to muscle mass. Currently I'm 5"3 but I'm 130/135 lbs due to basing for so long. Would I be able to make the transition to flying or would I have to give up the idea of cheering in college because I don't think I'll be able to cope another season after this one basing due to a wrist problem from an old injury rearing its ugly head again.

13. omgitssydthekid

omgitssydthekid Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    sydneywright496
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I know several girls your size that fly on various college teams (all girl, small coed, and large coed) but I also know girls that cheer at the same schools on the same teams (that are roughly the same size as the top girls) that base. It wouldn't hurt to get a group together and give it a try though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Lisa Seye

Lisa Seye Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Old thread I know but are there some good tips for flyers to get good body control or improve body control. My cp has grown quite a few inches in her legs and has trouble coping with this new amount of limbs she has lol. She had decent body control until this growth spurt. Now she sometimes looks like spaghetti noodles flying lol. She has very long legs now but is still a very tiny girl weighing 65 pounds. She's 12 y/o this week and I guess due to her young age and lack of experience dealing with huge growth spurt can't seem to gain her good body control back. For instance when she tries kick full/ or kick double her bottom leg rises slightly when she kicks. She can't seem to get it. It's not clicking. I know she's frustrated because she can't seem to do things she used to do. As a mom, I don't know what to tell her except improve her muscle tone and keep trying. :) any tips?

15. CoachCeleste

CoachCeleste They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    I did the same thing! Thanks for the inspiration kingston!