College One Thing I Noticed About The University Of Memphis Cheerleading Squad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
That they have cheerleaders in their late 20s on the coed squad that have cheered for other schools such as UK and Morehead. Your thoughts?

I just feel like this has been discussed to death. Yes, they do-just like many other top collegiate programs. Some programs (Kentucky included) limit the number of eligible years, or limit to only undergrad students. All of this doesn't matter anymore, because Varsity has implemented a rule for next year that cheerleaders can only compete for 5 years at Varsity college events.

I wonder how many teams will get around this by having kids on their Game Day squads for several years before "Making the Mat"-so they have the opportunity to gain experience.

I just feel like this has been discussed to death. Yes, they do-just like many other top collegiate programs. Some programs (Kentucky included) limit the number of eligible years, or limit to only undergrad students. All of this doesn't matter anymore, because Varsity has implemented a rule for next year that cheerleaders can only compete for 5 years at Varsity college events.

I wonder how many teams will get around this by having kids on their Game Day squads for several years before "Making the Mat"-so they have the opportunity to gain experience.

I know. Memphis has former UK cheerleaders Mitch Budlong and Josh Gallea as well as former Morehead State cheerleader Tony Crump. But I like the new rule for next year.

i understand the limiting years of eligibility, but I almost wish it was 6 years. that gives wiggle room for 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad school. With 5 years, I feel as if you're almost being punished for being talented enough to make mat all 4 years of undergrad, limiting your grad school to one year of eligibility. I do agree with the rule though. I find it hard to respect people who have been cheering for 10 years and counting

i understand the limiting years of eligibility, but I almost wish it was 6 years. that gives wiggle room for 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad school. With 5 years, I feel as if you're almost being punished for being talented enough to make mat all 4 years of undergrad, limiting your grad school to one year of eligibility. I do agree with the rule though. I find it hard to respect people who have been cheering for 10 years and counting

I think it should be 4 years to match NCAA. That makes a bit more sense to me, personally.

NCAA gives you 5, kind of. Hardship, redshirt, injury, transfer are usually why that ends up happening to most

NCAA gives you 5 years in which you only have 4 eligible years.

I think it should be 4 years to match NCAA. That makes a bit more sense to me, personally.

I see your point. I'm not familiar with all of the NCAA rules and didn't realize they only have 4 years. I feel like players find a way around this rule often, either that or they have quite the crew of "groupies"
I think making it a point to try and follow NCAA rules will also be a good step in the direction of becoming an NCAA sport, even though many people would not like to see that happen.

ps, this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but it made me giggle.
we have a candle ceremony we do during hell month and at nationals, and there's a prayer thingy we say to go with it. we never get taught the prayer, we are just suppose to catch on. well no one on the team does, except for one line: "radiant and resplendent". and I just realized what the phrase under your name said, and it makes me think of candle.... and the fact that I had to look up what resplendent meant once I realized what we were saying :D

ps, this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but it made me giggle.
we have a candle ceremony we do during hell month and at nationals, and there's a prayer thingy we say to go with it. we never get taught the prayer, we are just suppose to catch on. well no one on the team does, except for one line: "radiant and resplendent". and I just realized what the phrase under your name said, and it makes me think of candle.... and the fact that I had to look up what resplendent meant once I realized what we were saying :D

I took it from the game Diablo III. The best treasure chests you open are resplendent.

Last year was my 1st year going to NCA College nationals. At the time I was 30 and there were people in uniform that were every bit as old as I was. Most from very elite programs.
I'm sure everyone already knew that there were old timers that cheered. I think it's crazy, but the structure of cheerleading is you take the best of the best, period. It's one of the benefits of NOT being an NCAA sanctioned sport. I don't blame any program for using the talent that walks through the door.

I would like to know who has the time to practice let along compete while in graduate school fulltime?

You don't have to be in graduate school full time. At least you didn't have to be a few years ago. At NCA they changed it a few years ago to full time undergrads or ANY grad student. It could have changed since then, I'm not sure.

If I can take one or two grad classes while holding down a full time job, I could certainly handle one grad class and cheer too.

I see your point. I'm not familiar with all of the NCAA rules and didn't realize they only have 4 years. I feel like players find a way around this rule often, either that or they have quite the crew of "groupies"
I think making it a point to try and follow NCAA rules will also be a good step in the direction of becoming an NCAA sport, even though many people would not like to see that happen.

There's no way around it. If you transfer, you "red shirt" which means you can't play for a year. You're on the team but aren't allowed to play. That's really the only way around the rule. There are a few similar situations, but there's no way around the 4 years of playing rule.

Back