All-Star Opinions Needed On Team Name - Offensive???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How is Indians a racial slur? That has no negative connotation to it whatsoever. I consider a name like Red Skins kind of offensive but not Indians.
its different here in Canada, for some reason in the US i noticed that americans do not find it offensive to use 'indians' (which i noticed and found extremely strange while living in the US). Here in Canada we have always been raised knowing that using the term was derogatory to the native people of Canada considering that is not where they are from (India) and also reflects a period of time where nobody is proud of the events that had occurred.

it really is strange looking at the things people find offensive in countries that are known to be extremely closely related

its different here in Canada, for some reason in the US i noticed that americans do not find it offensive to use 'indians' (which i noticed and found extremely strange while living in the US). Here in Canada we have always been raised knowing that using the term was derogatory to the native people of Canada considering that is not where they are from (India) and also reflects a period of time where nobody is proud of the events that had occurred.

it really is strange looking at the things people find offensive in countries that are known to be extremely closely related
I stopped using Indians as a term for Native Americans once I realized why it was offensive, but some schools here still have Indians as a mascot.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

It's funny how words in general are offensive in certain areas, and in others are just common words which people don't bat an eyelid at.
I remember in Britain a certain word beginning with an F not meaning anything derogatory, yet is one of the most offensive words here in the states.

Most Americans don't use the Indian term with people from India. Everyone is either Arabic, Asian, Latino, White or Black. Most people in America break up the U.S into certain sections too. Yankees, Rednecks, California! Lol

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

After reading this thread I'm glad they're changing the name!

On the whole "offensive vs. non-offensive" in certain areas, I'm originally from California and am 1/4 Mexican so I'm used to hearing "derogatory" terms (I put the term in quotes because some find them offensive, some don't). I've learned that you just gotta go with the flow sometimes.. In North Florida, it's very much a "southern" area and the area I live in is very white (very little minorities). The people here are nice and sometimes the kids use the terms jokingly and don't realize they're offensive to some people. Once again, different areas, different views.

Most Americans don't use the Indian term with people from India. Everyone is either Arabic, Asian, Latino, White or Black. Most people in America break up the U.S into certain sections too. Yankees, Rednecks, California! Lol

Where I live, most people use the term Indian for people from India.... in fact if you refer to someone from India as Asian, 99% of the time someone corrects you with "he/she is Indian"(even though India is part of Asia). But "Indian" is sometimes in reference to Native Americans also... which is strange.

Where I live, most people use the term Indian for people from India.... in fact if you refer to someone from India as Asian, 99% of the time someone corrects you with "he/she is Indian"(even though India is part of Asia). But "Indian" is sometimes in reference to Native Americans also... which is strange.
This is why I like this thread. It shows the culture diversity of our country and what is and is not acceptable in different regions. That's what I love about my family, it's a montage of "We are the World", military travels have made us diverse! If we had a family reunion, people would swear it was Comi Con!

After reading this thread I'm glad they're changing the name!

On the whole "offensive vs. non-offensive" in certain areas, I'm originally from California and am 1/4 Mexican so I'm used to hearing "derogatory" terms (I put the term in quotes because some find them offensive, some don't). I've learned that you just gotta go with the flow sometimes.. In North Florida, it's very much a "southern" area and the area I live in is very white (very little minorities). The people here are nice and sometimes the kids use the terms jokingly and don't realize they're offensive to some people. Once again, different areas, different views.
We're from the same area it sounds like. :)

Isn't the Hope Diamond the one with the curse?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Yes Ma'am. Which might not be the best name for a team either. Though its not offensive, I wouldn't want to be named after something that's believed to be cursed. EEK! Heck, I kept my distance from its glass display case when I saw it at the Smithsonian years ago.

I'm glad the gym owners have decided to change the team's name and it was very polite of them to issue an apology statement. Very classy move, thumbs up for them.

Yes Ma'am. Which might not be the best name for a team either. Though its not offensive, I wouldn't want to be named after something that's believed to be cursed. EEK! Heck, I kept my distance from its glass display case when I saw it at the Smithsonian years ago.

I'm glad the gym owners have decided to change the team's name and it was very polite of them to issue an apology statement. Very classy move, thumbs up for them.

Kinda off topic slightly but why/how is it considered "cursed"?

Kinda off topic slightly but why/how is it considered "cursed"?

It kinda has a "King Tut Curse" story behind it. Legend says that the diamond was stolen from the statue of the Indian (as in the country India) idol Sita's forehead or eye or something. It is believed that that was when the curse started; the curse being that whoever not only owned the diamond, but came into contact with it, would live a life of bad luck and suffer a terrible death. Well, the man who stole it had sold it and later been ripped apart by wild dogs. There have been many terrible events and deaths suffered by it's owners - things like bankruptcy, gambling problems, suicide, beheading, deaths of children, etc.

The diamond was later given to the Smithsonian and is kept behind a glass case for viewing. It has quite the story to it if you want to research it further. Its very intimidating to look at in person after knowing of the curse, even through the glass :p

It kinda has a "King Tut Curse" story behind it. Legend says that the diamond was stolen from the statue of the Indian (as in the country India) idol Sita's forehead or eye or something. It is believed that that was when the curse started; the curse being that whoever not only owned the diamond, but came into contact with it, would live a life of bad luck and suffer a terrible death. Well, the man who stole it had sold it and later been ripped apart by wild dogs. There have been many terrible events and deaths suffered by it's owners - things like bankruptcy, gambling problems, suicide, beheading, deaths of children, etc.

The diamond was later given to the Smithsonian and is kept behind a glass case for viewing. It has quite the story to it if you want to research it further. Its very intimidating to look at in person after knowing of the curse, even through the glass :p

Not unlike the Koh-i-Noor diamond, but that curse is only affects men who wear it. We women are safe ;)

Back