All-Star Order Of The Routine?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 21, 2011
Do you guys think that the order of your routine will affect your teams score or how hard the routine is??? Does your team keep it simple or does your team go like opening, standing tumbling , jumps, cheer, dance, Stunt, running tumbling, then pyramid??

I think its not so much of what order you have the skills, but what order the routine shows off the team's best abilities. For example, if the team is strong in stunting but not tumbling, then why put tumbling towards the very end of the routine for them? They already struggle with it and putting it later in the routine will have them struggle more, not showing off the team to its fullest. The routine is like a strategic puzzle that coaches/choreographers have to figure out every year in my opinion. I do believe that you need to end with a pyramid or dance though really, as its awkward to end after a tumbling sequence or individual stunts because the team doesn't feel united for the big finale.

I don't think it matter the order you do things, I think what matters is the difficulty of your skills, and if you hit them. and transformations, because if they are sloppy or awkward looking you will prbly lose points.
This year our order is motions/standing tumbling, jumps/tumbling, stunts, running tumbling, cheer, dance, baskets, pyrimid.
Last year we did: standing tumbling, stunts, jumps/tumbling, pyrimid, cheer, dance, running tumbling, baskets, pyrimid.
2 years ago we did: motions/standing, stunts, running tumbling, cheeer, dance, baskets, pyrimid.
3 years ago we did: running tumbling, stunts, jumps/tumbling, pyrimid, cheer, dance, basket pyrimid.
^^^ don't know if any of that helped you, but I though it was a good example of how routines change over the years..

I like it when allstars end in a pyramid, because I feel like everyone ends in the dance. If you can nail a hard pyramid after a exhilurating routine, instead of ending a a fierce dance, I think it puts you apart from everyone that ends in a dance. Just my opinion.

I think it depends not on what order the routine is in, but how it's executed and performed. I do think some switched up routines can be strange like @imrichhowboutu said, I've seen a few teams start in a pyramid and IMO it looks different, and I don't really like it! If you routine is out of the 'normal' order (ie. standing tumbling/opening, stunts, jumps, running tumbling, baskets, pyramid, dance) and you hit it as a whole, it can be very eye opening!

im with rich about the order if you can be different and pull it off then great hats off to them! but if you cant then the coach needs to re-evaluate their coaching and the routine because i feel as a coach you should be able to give your kids any type of routine and MAKE IT WORK! but with that also said if i have kids thats cant count or know how to make transitions look good in order for this "different" routine to work then idk hahah!

but i know as for me i switched it up for my kids last yr! and im planning on doing something alittle more different for this up coming season!

My team the last two years has competed opening, standing, partner stunts, jumps, running tumbling, baskets, pyramid, then dance. I personally like this order. The year before that we had jumps before partner stunts and stunting was just so much harder. I was never a fan of ending in a pyramid. It's awkward when the routine is over and they have to get down, and if it doesn't hit......terrible last impression. If you end in a dance, you can still work it out and redeem yourself in some way. :)

My team the last two years has competed opening, standing, partner stunts, jumps, running tumbling, baskets, pyramid, then dance. I personally like this order. The year before that we had jumps before partner stunts and stunting was just so much harder. I was never a fan of ending in a pyramid. It's awkward when the routine is over and they have to get down, and if it doesn't hit......terrible last impression. If you end in a dance, you can still work it out and redeem yourself in some way. :)
This! I would much rather see a fierce dance even if a pyramid fell before that than to end with a fall! :D

i do feel like the order of the routine affects the over all impression on the score sheet. the routine should feel like it builds and gets faster and more exciting, but if things are just all over the place your over all impression to the judge decreases. just a thought.

As a judge, I don't care what order you do them-just as long as:
1. You hit
2. It flows well

When it comes to routine construction, you need to take into consideration the teams strengths and weaknesses. You want to have a strong opening and finish. Try and "hide" (lets be honest though, we see everything-even that girl who nuggets in the back and steps in to back during stunts and pyramids only, you're not fooling us at all) your weaker skills in the middle of the routine. If you don't have strong standing tumbling, don't make that a big focus of your routine-do what you can and move on to something that WOWs me, so I "forget" about the lower level tumbling.

I usually do my routine different than the "norm" and I started to wonder if it was actually hurting me, so this year I've decided to structure it the way more teams seem to do it and see what happens! I must be the one that looks strange, lol!

I think teams should stay away from dancing last in the routine. I think often judges watch the dance but not as closely if it is last...if they were to do a pyramid at the end, they would have the full attention of the judges for the entire routine.

Back