All-Star Over Practicing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 29, 2014
My daughter just turned 5 and she is on a mini team which she has practiced with for the past four weeks 2-3 times a week 2 hours each time. She loves it... When she is at home she literally practices every day for several hours a day by herself or her older sister who knows nothing about cheer. She is trying to learn the "big girl tumbling" on her own. Would you encourage her to keep practicing or not because I know she isn't going to have proper technique for skills she isn't being taught? I have been trying to steer her back to just doing her WO's, Cartwheels, etc. I considered privates because I do not want her to hurt herself but our gym won't let you do a private until you have a year experience. I love her passion and the way she works hard for something that she really wants but I don't want burn out for her or bad habits. Opinions?

Wow, that is a lot of practice during the week for a young team. Hopefully it is a lot of fun and games along with instruction.

The Fierce Board, where the NSA has nothing on the Mods

Wow, that is a lot of practice during the week for a young team. Hopefully it is a lot of fun and games along with instruction.

The Fierce Board, where the NSA has nothing on the Mods

The third skills practice is optional, which she asks to attend, the other two are the mandatory team practices and no fun and games those little ones work hard! They run laps, do sit ups and push ups right along with the big girls. Two hours of stunting, tumbling, jumps, and drills with two, two minute drink breaks. I guess you would have to love it at that age to really want to do it.

My daughter just turned 5 and she is on a mini team which she has practiced with for the past four weeks 2-3 times a week 2 hours each time. She loves it... When she is at home she literally practices every day for several hours a day by herself or her older sister who knows nothing about cheer. She is trying to learn the "big girl tumbling" on her own. Would you encourage her to keep practicing or not because I know she isn't going to have proper technique for skills she isn't being taught? I have been trying to steer her back to just doing her WO's, Cartwheels, etc. I considered privates because I do not want her to hurt herself but our gym won't let you do a private until you have a year experience. I love her passion and the way she works hard for something that she really wants but I don't want burn out for her or bad habits. Opinions?

I think aslong as she is happy and safe then she is fine but just keep an eye on it because it could lead to burnout. But you are doing the right thing by letting her ask for extra and taking direction of what she wants. Maybe talk to her coaches about how much she is doing at home to see of they will make an exception about privates because they will make sure she has the right technique

No no no! She should not be tumbling at home. Minis see other kids doing skills and think they can do them too. It's not the kid's fault, it's just that they don't understand progressions and levels at that age. As a parent, you don't have much of an idea of what she can and can't do and the levels of the things she wants to try. I had a mini last season get a concussion the week of competition because she was in her living room doing back handsprings. The kid hadn't even started drills for handsprings because she wasn't close to ready.

Your best bet is to ask her coaches. My team parents used to ask me "what can Suzie be doing at home to get better?" I was always able to give them some exercises or drills that fit their child's skill level and were safe to do at home i.e. bridge holds, shoulder stretches, the list goes on. There are tons of exercises that kids can safely do with mom's help that improve different aspects of cheer.

Kids at that age think they can do more than she can! I have taught gymnastics for years. She should not be "tumbling" at home. Stress to her that she is not a "big" girl and might not b able to do what they can do let her practice jumps, motions and dance. Sounds like u have many years of a job as cheer taxi!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Oh, another thought. If you can't get her to stop tumbling at home, her coach will probably be happy to talk with her about what's acceptable at home and what's not.

a gym turning away an offer of $$ for privates? well that's silly.

let her coaches or tumbling instructors or whoever know whats going on and i'm sure they'd be happy to give you and her some approved at home activities. also, as @retiredl5cheer said maybe ask a coach to tell her what's okay at home.. if you tell her not to tumble at home you're just being a no-fun mom. if her coach tells her, she's way more likely to listen.

I've never heard of that policy for privates. How strange. What is the point of waiting a year, if you don't mind me asking?

I was never told the reason as to why they do not allow privates until the athlete has had at least a year of experience. It seems to me that when they are little they are little sponges and have a lot of flexibility so I would think it would be a benefit.

Everyone has offered such excellent advice, we drive 45 minutes now to her gym but we have a gym right in our small town and I spoke to someone there this morning about her just doing a tumbling class there and maybe if she keeps her drive a few privates.

a gym turning away an offer of $$ for privates? well that's silly.

let her coaches or tumbling instructors or whoever know whats going on and i'm sure they'd be happy to give you and her some approved at home activities. also, as @retiredl5cheer said maybe ask a coach to tell her what's okay at home.. if you tell her not to tumble at home you're just being a no-fun mom. if her coach tells her, she's way more likely to listen.

Very good suggestion, she looks up to her coaches so much so much that I am sure she would listen much better. Thank you!

Kids at that age think they can do more than she can! I have taught gymnastics for years. She should not be "tumbling" at home. Stress to her that she is not a "big" girl and might not b able to do what they can do let her practice jumps, motions and dance. Sounds like u have many years of a job as cheer taxi!!

Yes, she does believe she can do everything, she always ask to watch cheer videos on her iPad and she watches level 5 stunts and she says, "I can easily do that" then tries to draft her two much older sisters to try to help her. I have instructed them NOT to attempt to help her. Thank you so much for your advice!

I actually like that private rule. Cuts down on the SM syndrome. Instead of privates, can she just take classes?

Back