Overcoming Fear

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 25, 2010
Hey, i'm having this problem with my backtuck. i was learning backtucks for the first time last week (i just got into cheerleading, i've been a figureskater for years :D) first on the trampoline, which went good, and then on the mats. the coach assisted me and after a few times he told me i did it all by myself. But i was like: no, you were still holding me? But then he told me he just had been holding my t-shirt all the time and didn't assist at all. So after this, he stepped away and let me do it alone, but then i started freaking out and i didn't dare doing it anymore. Even though the coach didn't do anything, the feeling that he'd be there if i'd fall or something gave me the confidence to jump.

Does anyone know how i can overcome my fear? Because i can do the backtuck, it's just i don't dare it anymore without anyone standing there :/

I have the same thing. No matter how much i WANT to do something, I sometimes just think I can't. I have to rationalize the whole thing, and then I just think about it too much.

I am really lucky that I have people that support me and always tell me that I can do it. I don't know if you have this, so if you don't, YOU CAN DO IT! Honestly, from what you have said, you can totally perform the skill without a spot. Do it enough times with a spot until you get comfortable enough that you know you can do it. Your spotter knows what to do, and hopefully will get you to the point that you feel confident to much. Also, have him just stand there. He will be there if you fall, but when you hit it a million times, you know that you can do it without him. You just have to trick your mind into knowing that you can do it. Talk to your coach, obviously they are there to help you, and want you to succeed. They can give you tips that will make you feel more confident. Also, try doing extra conditioning that will strengthen the muscles you use in a tuck. Then you will know that you have the strength to do it, and just keep tricking your mind into throwing the skill without the spot! YOU CAN DO IT!

Post a link when you do it by yourself, we all have faith in you!!! :)

I have the same thing. No matter how much i WANT to do something, I sometimes just think I can't. I have to rationalize the whole thing, and then I just think about it too much.

I am really lucky that I have people that support me and always tell me that I can do it. I don't know if you have this, so if you don't, YOU CAN DO IT! Honestly, from what you have said, you can totally perform the skill without a spot. Do it enough times with a spot until you get comfortable enough that you know you can do it. Your spotter knows what to do, and hopefully will get you to the point that you feel confident to much. Also, have him just stand there. He will be there if you fall, but when you hit it a million times, you know that you can do it without him. You just have to trick your mind into knowing that you can do it. Talk to your coach, obviously they are there to help you, and want you to succeed. They can give you tips that will make you feel more confident. Also, try doing extra conditioning that will strengthen the muscles you use in a tuck. Then you will know that you have the strength to do it, and just keep tricking your mind into throwing the skill without the spot! YOU CAN DO IT!

Post a link when you do it by yourself, we all have faith in you!!! :)

thanks :)) i'm having practice again tomorrow and i'm going to try, i hope it works out, i just gotta have faith in myself and overcome the fear of flipping backwards. I already fell on my head twice trying it alone because i jumped and halfway i started freaking out :') but hey, i'll just keep trying till it works out eventually.

Thank you very much!

Is there other equipment you can use to practice on? i.e. TumbleTrak, AirTrak, rod floor, etc. We always progress our athletes down the equipment and don't move on to the next piece until they are completely comfortable throwing the skill on their own. So, you can do it on the trampoline confidently on your own, now you move to the TumbleTrak and get in there solid and so on.

I always ask my athletes what's going through their minds when this happens. A lot of the time, its certain feelings, usually anxiety, which leads to them thinking about doing the skill and bailing out onto their head! Sometimes they have an inner dialogue telling themselves that they suck and can't do it.
When you think about doing something, the same neurons in your brain fire that fire when you are actually doing the skill. Studies have actually shown that when athletes picture themselves doing the skill successfully, their chances of actually completing the skill, and getting over their fear, greatly increases! It goes the other way too! The more an athlete has negative self talk, sees themselves doing the skill wrong or hurting themselves, the more likely they are to be too afraid to do it, and may even not complete it correctly.
I know its easier said than done, but a little positive self talk, and imagining yourself doing the back tuck successfully over and over again, will go a long way! Good luck! You can do it!

I always ask my athletes what's going through their minds when this happens. A lot of the time, its certain feelings, usually anxiety, which leads to them thinking about doing the skill and bailing out onto their head! Sometimes they have an inner dialogue telling themselves that they suck and can't do it.
When you think about doing something, the same neurons in your brain fire that fire when you are actually doing the skill. Studies have actually shown that when athletes picture themselves doing the skill successfully, their chances of actually completing the skill, and getting over their fear, greatly increases! It goes the other way too! The more an athlete has negative self talk, sees themselves doing the skill wrong or hurting themselves, the more likely they are to be too afraid to do it, and may even not complete it correctly.
I know its easier said than done, but a little positive self talk, and imagining yourself doing the back tuck successfully over and over again, will go a long way! Good luck! You can do it!

yes, i have this feeling of anxiety and the fear of falling on my head. I had practice today and i tried, but again, nothing. Next practice imma try -like you said- imagining myself doing the tuck, and maybe that'll help.

Thansk to everyone for the good advice, i hope it'll work out :)

this happened to me for the longest time, your body is ready to do it and knows how to perform the skill but your mind isn't. you have to keep telling yourself you know you can do it!! another thing i do which also seemed to work was think about something or someone that inspires you and it will make you want to do that skill more and help you feel more confident. you just need to trust yourself because you can do it :) good luck i hope this helps and remember stay positive!!

I was always told that if you are scared to throw something, do your job better. That way you are sure to get over. If you start with that kind of mentality (I will get over! I'm going to set so high and pull so fast!!!), you can condition your mind to relax a bit and let your body do what it knows how to do.
For example: Scared to do a tuck? Instead of freaking out mid air, concentrate on setting and pulling your toes tight and fast every time and don't let go! That way, even if you put a hand down the first couple of times, you are landing on your feet and will never land on your head/back! Concentrate on the fundamentals of the skill and commit to throw or don't throw at all until you are confident, because bailing is way scarier than just doing the skill! :) You can do it!

Honestly I'm the same way with my back handsprings. I've had it since September by myself on the floor but I only did it on the floor that month and have yet to compete it.
Something that has helped is literally talking to yourself when you do it. But speak out loud. Say whatever is in your head. If you're scared, say you're scared. Keep saying it until you get tired of saying it and start saying I can do this. And then say what you're going to do. Like for me I have to constantly tell myself "sit and jump" and then I'll do it.

Back