OT Pageant Advice...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

mommadonna

Cheer Parent
Nov 13, 2010
Hey!!!
Sooo...cp has decided she wants to compete in a local pageant. I blew her off about this for a while, but she has gotten louder and louder, so I've decided to let her go for it. We have found and rented a dress for her, but beyond that, we've done nothing to prepare. Neither of us is experienced in this AT ALL, so if any of you have been in a pageant, what is your advice for us? By the way...the pageant is in about 6 weeks. Thanks!

No advice just wanted to chime in that I read this as "pregnant advice" and did a triple take. LOL. Need more sleep.

It's more like semi-glitz, I think. The description was somewhat vague. The wording is something like, "Wear your best Sunday dress or pageant wear." She's competing in Beauty and Photogenic. I'm not sure if there is a talent portion or not yet. If so, cp wants to do an acro routine. We rented her a pageant dress, but it is not full glitz. It has kind of a flowing taffeta skirt that falls just above the knee and has rhinestones/beadwork on the bodice. It's sleeveless with a small cutout on the back. The color is kind of a mix between a dusty blue and a purple. I think I'd call it periwinkle. The plan is for white shoes and lacy socks to go with it. I was going to do her hair up, but I've heard not to. Ugh...I have no idea what I'm doing. Am I supposed to teach her how to model? :eek:

Advice:
  • Make sure she has some idea of what she's doing, otherwise it'll look like she's just wandering around the stage. Tape some X's in your living room and decide what order you want her to hit them in the practice a few times.
  • Watch some episodes of T&T. Underneath all the crap is actually some good advice. Look at the judges, use pretty hands and pretty feet (don't stand with feet apart), smile, don't squint, go slowly and glide etc. etc.
  • As for hair, I've seen some beautiful up dos and down dos (???) and some equally awful of each. I would google some photos and find out what you like and try to duplicate it. Unfortunately I think it would be harder to create a nice looking, voluminous down do without a fall, but maybe that's only because I can't use hot rollers on myself

I looked at the photos from last year's pageant, and it appears that all the title winners were wearing full glitz. I guess it's time to go back and get one of those dresses that will make her look like a birthday cake! Ugh! Thanks so much for the advice! There's no mention of a talent portion, so I think we're good there unless she makes it to the state level. I stink at doing hair, so we'll probably stick to hot rollers, tons of hairspray and lots of prayers. I'm thinking we'll do the hair half up, half down with a bow to match the dress. I'm going to make her an appointment with a local photographer this week to do the photos. Keep the advice coming! I'm starting to get a better idea of what I need to do now...

Back