All-Star Paying For Competitions Out Of State? Besides The Obvious.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel like February was non-stop for me. I'm on multiple teams. We had Palm Springs, practice all next weekend, Atlanta, and Vegas.
For my first full season of cheer I was DEAD.

Thanks guys, I know ill try to get as much fundraising as possible but are there any other ideas to help out the kids who struggle to afford it even after fundraising?
I guess the big thing i am trying to figure out is how to help the cheerleaders out who really want to do it all, but don't have the full support of their parents to make it all work?
I know my mother would do all the fundraising for me when i cheered for high school but idk how to help the other kids who have both parents who work two jobs and cant drive the kid to the fundraising or take the extra time to help.
We compete a few times out of state and what we've seen that helps is that some families get sponsors for their kids. It works really well for us since we're in a smaller town. The kids go to businesses and collect sponsors to help with the season. We also have some of the kids who may not be able to afford all the travel do some work in the gym. Cleaning, helping run the concession stand, helping to run a lock-in or tumbling class. Hope this helps!!

I have just been wondering how athletes from different gyms pay for competitions and travel?

I have cheered in Florida for 6 out of 8 yrs so many of the big nationals and worlds was only a school bus, or morning car pool drive away. I am moving back to coach at my original gym and want to get some ideas to help us be able to afford out of state competitions that involve flying and all that. With living so close to Orlando we have not needed to fund raise too much to afford the trips. I have just been wondering how certain teams can afford 3 or 4 out of state competitions?

Besides the obvious fundraisers like car washes and what not, how have you made it work?
have you had to set a few parents to watch over a group or athletes if other parents cant afford to go? had a small amount of competitions to balance out the cost of bigger ones?
Im really just looking for as much information to how to make this a possibility, besides the usual.
besides doing fundraising and everything my old gym use to have the junior and senior girls take buses down and we would room with all of our teammates its great team bonding and a ton cheaper because its just the athletes splitting on the room fees, and if the parents want they can go down separately or help chaperone

Dont eat... Save all of your money for cheer.
the sad thing is is i actually considered doing it this year..

We offer fly away teams, regional teams and recreational teams.

Parents select their preference at tryouts and we place on teams accordingly. Unfortunantly this is an expensive sport, and unless you are personally willing to foot the bill for kids, sometimes you have to suggest they try a rec team, 1/2 year team, or another sport.

Fly away teams attend 2-3 out of town drivable events (2-5 hours drive), 1 fly away event (somewhere in florda), and then 2-3 local event (up to 2 hr drive).

Regional teams attend 2-3 out of town drivable events (2-5 hours drive) and 3-4 local events (up to 2 hr drive).

Recreational teams attend 2 out of town driveable events (usually 3-4 hours away) and 3-5 local events (up to 2 hr drive).

1/2 year teams attend 1 driveable out of town event (usually 3-4 hour away) and 2-3 local events (up to 2 hr drive.)

In addition recreational and 1/2 year teams wear a uniform and bow that costs just at $100 but is super cute while the fly away and regional teams uniform and bow costs approx $300. All teams can wear any white cheer shoes, white no show socks they want and any navy spankies.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

We are lucky enough to live in Texas where we have a lots of options. My cp has never flown to a competition before, even when we were thinking of going to CheerSport, a group of families were going to carpool/caravan to Atlanta rather than fly. We attend one "away" comp and that is Cheer America in Houston.
Fundraising seems to be the universal solution to helping with travel costs. If you can work out a deal with the venues around you to allow your parents to work concessions and then the money earned goes into their accounts, that is a great way to do it. We did this when our youngest was in academy soccer.

I have just been wondering how athletes from different gyms pay for competitions and travel?

I have cheered in Florida for 6 out of 8 yrs so many of the big nationals and worlds was only a school bus, or morning car pool drive away. I am moving back to coach at my original gym and want to get some ideas to help us be able to afford out of state competitions that involve flying and all that. With living so close to Orlando we have not needed to fund raise too much to afford the trips. I have just been wondering how certain teams can afford 3 or 4 out of state competitions?

Besides the obvious fundraisers like car washes and what not, how have you made it work?
have you had to set a few parents to watch over a group or athletes if other parents cant afford to go? had a small amount of competitions to balance out the cost of bigger ones?
Im really just looking for as much information to how to make this a possibility, besides the usual.
I coached in california and alot like florida you can pretty much have a full season attending big comps and stay in the same state. From the beginning of my program I always had travel and non travel teams. So the parents of certain teams knew that taking a spot on Small Senior 3 for example would also mean paying for NCA or American Grand without fundraising. Now they could fundraise but I was not banking on that being how they paid for the comp fees and what not. I always used to tell my parents that I did not care if they got there on a plane , train or automobile, just be at the meeting place in the correct city , ON TIME. For the most part I never had an issue. If I had a higher level athlete and she could not pay for the special fees like extra choreo, further comps and so on they ended up cheering on one of our Cali only travel teams. Hope that helps. =)

Not bringing the whole family and rooming/driving with someone else and splitting costs helps greatly! We also pack food, drinks and even bring a toaster for morning bagels lol Somehow it just all works out!

We are able to save a lot of money sharing rooms and using points for flights and rooms! But that's caused dad travels a lot on business. Depending on where you cheer, some gyms let the athletes work off their fees by coaching or working at the gym!

I'm a bit amazed this year by Cheer Athletics stepping outside of their Texas bubble and starting to venture across the country again to compete at different events. I never thought I'd EVER see them at Cheersport. I miss the old school days of seeing CA at the American Open in Orlando!

I think traveling mostly has to do with your individual teams and knowing the limits of what the parents are able to spend for the season. If you have good connections in the travel industry...some of these trips are very affordable! Getting a good rate on your flights, your hotel rooms, and for competition registration can make the difference between going to 1 big comp out of state and possibly going to 2 or 3.

I was with a small program (65 kids) that also worked with about 5 competitive school teams - and we had bargaining power for registration fees when we chose to bring ALL of our kids somewhere. Often we would recieve discounts of about 25-55% off registration.

Lastly, telling your parents what the travel expenses are DAY 1 will also be a good determinant as to what they are willing to spend - and how far they are willing to travel!

Back