All-Star Performance Order.... Thoughts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

well in theory you are competing against the score sheet not the other teams so skill "X" should get score "Y" no matter when you go (or who's judging for that matter)... In reality some judges still hold scores, even though you're not supposed to, so I always prefer to go later or last

I agree with brandnewstyle. I think it is human nature for the judges to reserve high scores for teams that go later, even if they do it subconsciously. A team going first can rock out and nail their stunts, but the judges might not give them max points, because what happens if the, say, 5 teams following are better? If a team nails full squad 1 and a quarter ups and you give them 10/10, what do you give the next team who nails full squad 1.5 ups? Here is where the problem lies.

that's actually the problem with the scoring system, and part of what king talks about all the time... You have no way of knowing what should be a 10... By that logic you cant give squad 1.5 ups a 10 either because what if someone does something harder.... It's a never ending cycle

I agree. I think we are moving more towards the idea of competing against a score sheet instead of other teams. But cheering is still a subjective sport, and as long as we have human judging there is going to be bias and things like "holding" scores. And it's part of the reason why I never want to be a judge. haha How can you ever say "this gets a top score. It was perfect. No one can do anything better." I'll stick to coaching.

This weekend, my team competes against just one other team. It got me thinking as the whether I liked going first or not, which is what brought me to ask the question...

We've competed against this team twice, we beat them once, they beat us the other. They're very good and honestly, I think their routine overall is better, so they will probably win. I do believe we have a chance though and wondered if our performance order could help or hurt us or if it really comes down to who has a better day. Guess we'll see on Saturday!

I think it depends on who is in our division that determines how I feel about the performance order. I think it difficult for any judge to score teams with more than 6 teams in the division.

I think it depends on who is in our division that determines how I feel about the performance order. I think it difficult for any judge to score teams with more than 6 teams in the division.

With a score sheet, judges shouldn't be comparing teams against one another anyway. The number of teams in the division shouldn't matter because they're not getting judged against one another. In reality, there is some subjectivity, because an "elite" score range might be 9-10, but there's no hard rules for what goes in the 9 and what goes in the 10 other than execution. And that tends to be where the bias comes into play I think.

I love last !

I really like at 2 day nationals that day 2 goes in reverse order of day 1 placements.
It's a little easier on the judges... Like the teams should get better and better and if they don't its easier to fix the rankings. Did that make sense?

Either way for me just as long as the judges will remember everyone in the div and take notes on those teams so they do not get placements wrong. Most judges will do this so the are legit placements but then you go to that one competition and the judges have no idea what they are doing, LOL. But I like the competition companies that go in reverse order day 2 no matter who is leading the first day!

With a score sheet, judges shouldn't be comparing teams against one another anyway. The number of teams in the division shouldn't matter because they're not getting judged against one another. In reality, there is some subjectivity, because an "elite" score range might be 9-10, but there's no hard rules for what goes in the 9 and what goes in the 10 other than execution. And that tends to be where the bias comes into play I think.

I think what hopskipandjump meant was when you get to the scores like 7.4 and 7.6. Especially since Hop's team is in the mini 1 category. Those little points make all the difference. When we know we are competing against a specific team, we'd rather go before them and hopefully after a team that may have had a rough day (as terrible as that sounds).

ETA: 7.4 and 7.6 just an example of the point whatever number...

this year at the first comp we went first and the second comp we went last and we still got around the same score. I dont think the order that you go in affects your score, but I like going last becasue when you are on the last warm up floor everybody is in line watching you.

i think it depends. i am no judge but if i was one i would find it hard not to compare the teams to each other. if you go first the judges have an "open mind" i guess you could say, but if you go last and the team before you bombs, the judges might be like "oh they are so much better than the last team" and award higher scores.
i prefer last :)

It depends. If your division is right after a lower or younger division it is good to go first. Then, when you do more advanced skills, the judges are more impressed. It gives them a "relief" from just watching mini teams. And, usually you're more clean than minis, so it makes you look extra good.

I'd rather go either first of last. But I think it depends because if you go first can set the bar either high or low for everyone else. But if you go last you could out shine the teams that went better for you, like the saying "save the best for last" type of thing.

I hate competing last because while your in warmups all you can hear is the other teams music and the crowds going wild. So you think there doing really good and then theres even more pressure. I actually like going first.

i feel the same way!

Back