All-Star Petite Flyer Discrimination

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It wasn't just one comment. It is an overall attitude.
When you have a child you can get protective at times. One day you will understand that.
The hardest thing to do as a parent in this sport is watch and be supportive when what's best for the team is NOT what is "best" for your kid. But, it's a team sport and the team has to come first and that's what I tell my kids. My daughter will never fly again. She's 12 and 5-4 already. She could fly on a senior team I suppose, but here's the thing....she is a BEAST of a base. She always gets the flyer that needs the most support underneath, she'll never have the easy flyer. She gets the ones that need all the help they can get to stay in the air...and you know what.....they do, they improve and they love each other.

Does that make her the base that has gotten a tooth knocked out, more nail marks than a hammerhead, bruises that look like a car wreck, black eyes, iced shoulders and absolutely no glory whatsoever that the flyer that got the credit never would've stayed in the air if not for the last three bags of ice we went home with, a swollen lip and a missing tooth....

Yes.

But, that's what this is. A team sport...and in the end, you win together or you lose together and as a parent the hardest thing for us to do collectively is support the "team" over our kid. But if my kid can learn to set and spin, which is hard, I can do this :)

The hardest thing to do as a parent in this sport is watch and be supportive when what's best for the team is NOT what is "best" for your kid. But, it's a team sport and the team has to come first and that's what I tell my kids. My daughter will never fly again. She's 12 and 5-4 already. She could fly on a senior team I suppose, but here's the thing....she is a BEAST of a base. She always gets the flyer that needs the most support underneath, she'll never have the easy flyer. She gets the ones that need all the help they can get to stay in the air...and you know what.....they do, they improve and they love each other.

Does that make her the base that has gotten a tooth knocked out, more nail marks than a hammerhead, bruises that look like a car wreck, black eyes, iced shoulders and absolutely no glory whatsoever that the flyer that got the credit never would've stayed in the air if not for the last three bags of ice we went home with, a swollen lip and a missing tooth....

Yes.

But, that's what this is. A team sport...and in the end, you win together or you lose together and as a parent the hardest thing for us to do collectively is support the "team" over our kid. But if my kid can learn to set and spin, which is hard, I can do this :)

I agree 100% And we have great coaches. I trust them to do what is best for the team. If they want her to fly she will fly. If they want her to front spot she will front spot. If they want her to back spot or side spot (not sure if she can reach high enough to balance with the other girls LOL) she will also do her best.

Am I the only cheer mom that wishes my daughter would grow and be a base? Its all about me! I love the glory she gets when the stunt hits, but hate the disappointment and yes, sometimes blame when things go wrong. It crushes me! She's handles it like a champ though....me on the otherhand, sometimes need a little intervention to get through! I can tell you though, there is nothing better than a awesome, beast base and ALL the flyers know that.

Be proud of whatever you do on the team and be the best you can be! Most of us, athletes and parents, know what it takes to make the stunt look good, and its not just the flyer!

Am I the only cheer mom that wishes my daughter would grow and be a base? Its all about me! I love the glory she gets when the stunt hits, but hate the disappointment and yes, sometimes blame when things go wrong. It crushes me! She's handles it like a champ though....me on the otherhand, sometimes need a little intervention to get through! I can tell you though, there is nothing better than a awesome, beast base and ALL the flyers know that.

Be proud of whatever you do on the team and be the best you can be! Most of us, athletes and parents, know what it takes to make the stunt look good, and its not just the flyer!

If you were to look at my CP, you'd almost immediately think she's a flyer based on the size of her teammates. She's one of the smallest kids on the team. But she's a base. She's good at it - the coaches always talk about her strength and her focus when putting a stunt in the air.

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. :)

Back