All-Star Petite Flyer Discrimination

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

People really need to learn to pick their battles.

And let me tell you, in the grand scheme of things, throwing a fit over "petitie flyer discrimination" is just absurd...

Yes, flyers are going to be the target of criticism more often than bases and backs. But, they also get a heck of a lot more recognition when things go right. Deal with it.

In the words of Eric Matthews...

I think people have preferences and such, but as long as a stunt is hitting, there shouldn't be complaining going on!

I will admit I have said I love tall flyers before, but I think we all need to realize that there are other flyers on the other side of the argument being hurt by those comments. Remember though that tall flyers get a lot of negativity for their size and that's where the other comments tie in. It comes down to who hits the stunt, no matter what size they are. Best of luck to your CP and I'm sorry you have been offended by the countless compliments to tall flyers--but remember it's just others opinions, try not to take it too hard.

I hate to say this, but there's not really a need to get butt-hurt. If your daughter works hard to be the best flyer/cheerleader she is, there is nothing wrong. You should address the lady or the people at your gym and tell them how you feel. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, because i had to do some much so i could be able to fly. I was bigger than most of the girls on my team and they would be fetuses and barely able to hit a good heel stretch and I could a lot, but they wouldn't fly me because i was bigger and taller. But good luck to her and she just has to keep pushing and doing her thing.

I'm so happy you used this phrase

Well in my perspective, you seemed a little butt-hurt, but considering you have a child, you're probably older than me and a grown adult and i should respect my elders. VENT AWAY, MA'AM!

Provided you actually know that's what they're doing. I gotta get off this thread because it's raising my blood pressure. for the record, I'm ranting...it's not directed at you Andrew.

How about if you have a girl in your gym that has a genetic disorder that keeps her ridiculously small, and hospitalized, and with a million other symptoms, including a life expectancy most of us have already passed on this board, yet that child is a fighter, gets hormone shots and pharmeceutical therapy every single night for basically the rest of her life, overcomes, is a great flyer with amazing flexibility and body contorl and is actually 12 years old and (if you have a gym that HAS ethics) won't put her on a mini team even though no one would EVER question it because she literally looks like she is 7 and the minis are bigger than she is.....

...so they put her on a junior team (because they dont lie about ages) at less than four feet tall, when she looks 7, and people assume we're flying babies and lose respect for us....

The point of the story is maybe we shouldn't pass judgement on anyone unless we actually know the circumstances and aren't just speculating.
I don't think AndrewSky is talking about that team in your story; I took it as the teams who take a 12 year old tiny flyer, with barely there level 3 skills and put her on their worlds-bound level 5 team, just because she is easier to base than the 16 year old with the proper skills.

i feel like i stepped in to a whole-lot-of-crazy. haha.
but everyone has a personal preference. if it helps i put my short flyers (tall bases) in the front and Tall Flyers (short bases) in the back to give it the illusion that theyre all the same size. lol it kinda works. . . sorta.

Yes, flyers are going to be the target of criticism more often than bases and backs. But, they also get a heck of a lot more recognition when things go right. Deal with it.

Amen. I tell flyers all the time that flying is the glory position. Stunts are generally called by their flyer's name and not a base's or back's name. They have to take more criticism than anyone else, but at a competition, they are the spotlight in stunts and get all the glory. It's not the right spot for you if you can't take the heat.

For example, if I give someone a correction and they get teary-eyed, then maybe they're not tough enough to fly. If I can break you with my words, then a competition environment is going to make the kid have a nervous breakdown. Just my opinion. I am tough on all of my kids, but I am especially hard on flyers. They all have a pretty thick skin now though. ;)

People really need to learn to pick their battles.

And let me tell you, in the grand scheme of things, throwing a fit over "petitie flyer discrimination" is just absurd...

Totally agree.
I'm probably going to sound rude, but if your daughter didn't cry over this and is still flying, then I don't see the problem. I totally understand you're looking out for your kid (wish my mom would've cared as much as you do!), but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My best friend is 5' and an awesome flyer, but Maddie Gardner has a much prettier heel stretch than her.

I'm 5'6, 5'7 on a good day, and never got the chance to fly. I've been in one press, for fun. I'm not sad because I was "discriminated" against. That's life and I was a team player. And like someone else said earlier, most college teams would pick a 5' girl over a 5'7 girl. Unless they just had zero middle layers. But even then, it's so much easier for shorter girls to obtain advanced skills. Your daughter is actually very lucky.

Well in my perspective, you seemed a little butt-hurt, but considering you have a child, you're probably older than me and a grown adult and i should respect my elders. VENT AWAY, MA'AM!

It wasn't just one comment. It is an overall attitude.
When you have a child you can get protective at times. One day you will understand that.

It wasn't just one comment. It is an overall attitude.
When you have a child you can get protective at times. One day you will understand that.

While I kind of get what you are saying as I am as overprotective as they get... my girls say I'm like a mama bear when someone messes with them -- BUT, I really think that saying it is an "overall attitude" is pushing the envelope well... a LOT.

Many people have pointed out the difference between petite flyers and fetus flyers as well as between small flyers who do what they need to do vs small flyers who are manhandled because they don't have the skill -- you seem to be stuck on there not being a difference. Unless your daughter IS a fetus flyer with no body control and doesn't really belong in the air I am not sure why you are STILL upset. You've gotten a ton of support in this thread... much more than I expected from the fierceboarders to tell the truth.

While I kind of get what you are saying I really think that saying it is an "overall attitude" is pushing the envelope well... a LOT.

Many people have pointed out the difference between petite flyers and fetus flyers as well as between small flyers who do what they need to do vs small flyers who are manhandled because they don't have the skill -- you seem to be stuck on there not being a difference. Unless your daughter IS a fetus flyer with no body control and doesn't really belong in the air I am not sure why you are STILL upset. You've gotten a ton of support in this thread... much more than I expected from the fierceboarders to tell the truth.

I vented. I heard a lot of good points from all different perspectives. I feel a lot better.

Amen. I tell flyers all the time that flying is the glory position. Stunts are generally called by their flyer's name and not a base's or back's name. They have to take more criticism than anyone else, but at a competition, they are the spotlight in stunts and get all the glory. It's not the right spot for you if you can't take the heat.

For example, if I give someone a correction and they get teary-eyed, then maybe they're not tough enough to fly. If I can break you with my words, then a competition environment is going to make the kid have a nervous breakdown. Just my opinion. I am tough on all of my kids, but I am especially hard on flyers. They all have a pretty thick skin now though. ;)

My daughter is definately learning to thicken her skin for what she wants... it is hard to watch as a parent when all you want to do is protect their feelings but, I know that it is helping her grow as a person. Many thanks to you coaches who know when to push and when to praise!

Back