All-Star Point Dancer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 23, 2010
So what are the main criteria for the Point Dancer in a Routine? What makes the perfect ,,Point Dancer'' in your Opinion?

I dont think there is set criteria. In my opinion the point dancer needs to not only be the best dancer on the team but also needs to show on her face how much fun she is having. they need to be able to make the simplest dance moves look fierce and they most importantly need to be able to captivate the judges and audience.

I kind of like it when the point dancer isn't someone i've been following the whole routine. I'm all about sharing the love. If the point dance is also the point flier, point jumper, and last pass, it starts to look like a one girl show. However, the point dancer should be the best, so if she is also the best tumbler then so be it!

You would love my daughter then - back corner for everything except baskets and dance!

I kind of like it when the point dancer isn't someone i've been following the whole routine. I'm all about sharing the love. If the point dance is also the point flier, point jumper, and last pass, it starts to look like a one girl show. However, the point dancer should be the best, so if she is also the best tumbler then so be it!

I think that the point dancer has to be someone who is a fast learner. So that way they picked up the dance fast and if any changes are added they will probably remember the changes. Also they should add a special spark to the dance. Facials, stage presence, you name it. Also they should have good technique, someone who doesn't normally mess up little things.

You would love my daughter then - back corner for everything except baskets and dance!
Sounds like me when I cheered. haha. I usually backed someone in the front, and then danced in the front. That's about ittttt because my tumbling sucked and I'm so tall.

That was me toooo! Last season for example, I backed the second stunt back (in a V formation towards the outside), tumbling sucked so I was towards the back and outside for jumps, but then I split center for dance :)

Our front/point 6 people are our worst tumblers... They are on the team because they are performers, and great bases! Our point flyer is also splits center.

No tryouts at my gym - I just take the summer to know who performs and who doesnt!

Also - Last year we had one girl that we just KNEW had to be point dancer. This year we had about 4... I just let teh choreographer decide at that point. I told the kids prior to choreography that if they want that point spot - They better perform to the choroegrapher all day!

Back