All-Star Poor Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Fameous MOM Kiana was so proud J! She was so excited that they placed in the top 5 of NCA! Don't let some sour grapes take away J's and Super's amazing win! We were watching some potato filmed video of them over the weekend and they looked so good! Just keep remembering how awesome they did and the awesome weekend you had with your girls and forget the bad! :kiss:
Thank you so much!!! I was just shocked that people acted like that in front of children! I keep my comments to myself lol.

Thank you so much!!! I was just shocked that people acted like that in front of children! I keep my comments to myself lol.
The lack of a filter on a parent increases if awards are after happy hour.
Congrats to your CP and her team. I have always enjoyed watching Super Seniors, and I happened to get a great video of Coach Mike performing too! :D

Congrats to your CP and her team. I have always enjoyed watching Super Seniors, and I happened to get a great video of Coach Mike performing too! :D

Watching him at the end of SS's Day 1 performance, I thought he was going to seriously hurt the female coach he was hugging! lol

Happened at pretty much every award ceremony in the arena. For the most part (to me anyway) it always seems the athletes (most of whom at that level know each other through social media and group chats) are fine with each other and those phenomena happen a lot. It's the parents who can't deal.

I also think competitions like NCA can be a nasty surprise for the gyms that spend a lot of time strategically picking competitions they can win or will be unopposed. Kids and families develop this OMG WERE AMAZING mindset and then get to NCA and finish at the back of the pack and the shock is significant. Sometimes I think the reactions can be attributed to that as well. They don't get that finishing top half (or top three, or second!) is freaking amazing at NCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And that's why I love NCA.

That's probably true.

It's 10:00. Or later.

You have been up super early for two days.

You have been a food delivery person, hairstylist, makeup artist way too early.

You are dealing with your kid who may or may not be totally snappy and nervous all day.

You are sick of pretzels and chicken tenders and are now starving.

You have a million miles to drive to get back home so your kid can go to school in the AM.

You are thinking about whether or not your other kids are making a complete mess of your home in your absence.

You have to work in the AM.

...and your NCA jacket perennial winner kid just got 5th at NCA and is losing it.

I'm surprised we don't have riots.

That's probably true.

It's 10:00. Or later.

You have been up super early for two days.

You have been a food delivery person, hairstylist, makeup artist way too early.

You are dealing with your kid who may or may not be totally snappy and nervous all day.

You are sick of pretzels and chicken tenders and are now starving.

You have a million miles to drive to get back home so your kid can go to school in the AM.

You are thinking about whether or not your other kids are making a complete mess of your home in your absence.

You have to work in the AM.

...and your NCA jacket perennial winner kid just got 5th at NCA and is losing it.

I'm surprised we don't have riots.
oh my goodness can you imagine the news coverage?!?! The chuck e cheese brawl would literally seem like a preschool fight during recess!!! lol

I have to say at the end our awards ceremony and all the havoc after, I hardly knew my own name - and it was only 11:15 in the morning! Given the right scenario, I could have easily snapped and done something stupid. I was a zombie that was in desperate need of some sleep.

Happened at pretty much every award ceremony in the arena. For the most part (to me anyway) it always seems the athletes (most of whom at that level know each other through social media and group chats) are fine with each other and those phenomena happen a lot. It's the parents who can't deal.

I also think competitions like NCA can be a nasty surprise for the gyms that spend a lot of time strategically picking competitions they can win or will be unopposed. Kids and families develop this OMG WERE AMAZING mindset and then get to NCA and finish at the back of the pack and the shock is significant. Sometimes I think the reactions can be attributed to that as well. They don't get that finishing top half (or top three, or second!) is freaking amazing at NCA.

I have seen TONS of athletes in awards situations. It is incredibly rare that an athlete notices or cares at all about how somebody on another team or someone in the stands is acting.

I do think that we need to "train" our parents to be more sensitive about what they do and say. More than that, however, I think we need to "train" people not care as much when other people act a little foolish.

Last edited:
We're so proud of you. We're so proud of you. *clapclapclap*

It always sounds mocking...although I'm sure that's not the intention. [emoji23]

Around the 3rd or 4th time of hearing that cheer yelled after each placement is read, I want to "clapclapSLAP" that team off the stage. For some reason that cheer really annoys me. :wasntme:

I have to agree with whomever said that many, if not most of the level5 athletes are so gracious in victory and defeat. I still remembered those 2 years my daughter was on Twinkles, these young athletes worked and practiced hard, but when the competitions finished looked forward to seeing their friends on opposing teams and mainly talked about SE or SS or cheerleading... At UCA, meeting up at a park or switching uniforms, etc...
Flipside:
Tbh, I cannot even imagine my son ever hanging out or talking to the opposing side athletes, hey, they might shake hands, etc... But anything beyond that is ludicrous and frown upon by the coaches, "God forbid, trying on each other uniforms"... If you want to be friends with opposing side, do it after the season is over...Furthermore, I always wonder that boys who are on teams, regard them as a boy joining a neighborhood gang... The boys swear allegiance to their team and must behave in a certain way... Whereas, girls are expected to be nice and gracious, all the time... Expectations in cheerleading is so different, which imo borders on double standards...
PS: Yet, I do think poor sportmanship crap happens mainly because of the Adults meddling...

Last edited:
When I see or hear about stuff like parents venting about their top tier gym losing to a team they didn't feel they should lose to, I always ask myself "would we be as appalled if this was a boys sport and it was a top team losing to an underdog"? I bet those types of things are screamed out regularly w/o shame at football games. Along w/ cheers when a quarterback is sacked, etc.

In mostly female sports I guess more etiquette is expected. I just find it an interesting thing.

Lol - I went to a high level basketball game recently and the student section was literally chanting "you suck! you suck!" in unison when a player from the opposing team missed a free throw. Imagine if that happened in cheer when a stunt fell.

Everything said here is entirely true.

I would take the time to articulate why this is so true but I haven't got the time.

But I will say that for me, the trueness of this statement is most evidenced by the fact that "CP" on this board stands for "cheer princess".... While the whole "cp" seems simple and non important on the outside I think the whole idea of a "cheer princess" just adds to the whole climate and notion thinking about behavior and expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen TONS of athletes in awards situations. It is incredibly rare that an athlete notices or cares at all about how somebody on another team or someone in the stands is acting. I do think that we need to "train" our parents to be more sensitive about what they do and say. More than that, however, I think we need to "train" people not care as much when other people act a little foolish.

Yes.

It's like pageants. In most cases, the child is perfectly happy with her placement/crown and is really just happy to get her little gift basket with candy and Barbies until Pageant Mom starts losing it.

Last edited:
I also think the difference has to do with the subjectivity factor. I mean in a sport where you score a set # of points for a set feat, the winner is he with the most points, right? In sports like track and swimming... he who crosses the finish line first is typically the clear cut winner. But in cheer there is no set # of points or a "fastest time". So what one person sees as the "winner" another may see differently. It's not black and white and that leaves all sorts of room for crazy!

Back