Position Of Cheer Captain?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 20, 2014
I know this is such a simple question, but maybe it's one of those basic things that's easily assumed.

For high school football cheerleading, shouldn't the captain be front and center of the rest of the squad? It's seems like this is always this way, but I can't find anything to back it up online. Thanks in advance!

Only of the captain is skilled enough to earn that position.

Eta: Do you mean like point jumper of dancer or do you mean not in formation with the rest of the squad and standing by themselves?

No, I just mean in sideline cheering, standing on the track, with a captain who has more than earned her position. We're having a problem with an ambitious co-captain. I thought if I could show her that this is just the custom, it could help.

I think what you are asking for is solely up to the coaches or team. I am not heavily involved in HS cheer but no rule I am aware of states where the captain should be.

At our local school they are in one formation and you'd never know who the captain is until you observe a bit to see who is working with the coach the most.

I am not familiar with HS Cheer, but I have seen that Captains on some teams may wear a different bow (if it is a girl) from the team to stand out and pretty much on AS Cheer, they may be the team member who is leading the prep talks or the team out on the floor before and during competitions. Tbh, I really have not seen too many teams - AS Cheer that is, the Captains on the team is doing anything really special apart from the team on the floor...

Ours stand in the back row when facing the crowd. Our cheerleaders turn and cheer out to the football team for much of the game.

The captain is back row center and one of the co-captains is next to her and the other is in the front row.

It just seems like common sense to me to put the person calling most of the cheers in the middle and in the front, so the entire squad can hear the calls. The co-captain wants to be in the front and in the middle. I know it's my call, but I just want to give her something besides "I said so".

How have you handled this on the last? I am assuming you are the coach and not the captains mom.

I know this is such a simple question, but maybe it's one of those basic things that's easily assumed.

For high school football cheerleading, shouldn't the captain be front and center of the rest of the squad? It's seems like this is always this way, but I can't find anything to back it up online. Thanks in advance!

At my high school (assuming it's still the same) captains stood in the center of the cheer line (back row when facing the field, front row once you turn to do the cheer). They called the cheers out and then decided at timeouts if the team was going to stunt, tumble, or do a crowds leading cheer.

As for the competition routine, who ever was the best went in front of the jumps, tumbling, dance, ect. No one got special placement in routines for being a captain.

I'm assuming you're the coach. I think you should just say what you said above. Captain calls most of the cheers so in order for squad to hear, she needs to be in front and center. Does one co-captain have more experience than the other? As co-captains, is one in higher rank? Maybe have them both in the front middle.
My old hs the captains would take one step up or forward (so they would be in front and out of line of the squad) call the cheer then step back in line with the rest. They both got to call cheers but not at the time, because one would see the other step forward/out and let her call that time.

Last edited:
Ours stand in the back row when facing the crowd. Our cheerleaders turn and cheer out to the football team for much of the game.

The captain is back row center and one of the co-captains is next to her and the other is in the front row.

I did think about how having our captain back row/center would make sense, but she's one of the shorter girls on the team (former flyer now basing). We have some pretty tall girls, and they're centered in the back to balance out the look.

Right now we have a low-drama, low-conflict squad who all get along well with each other. It's just this very ambitious co-captain who is rocking the boat. But she has the second-most experience on the team and is pretty reliable. I have to find a good way to calm her down without actually handing her the captaincy. She's a good co-captain, but the captain is amazing--pretty much ideal in her skills and as a person.

I have never understood why they are called co-captains as it implies an equality with the captain. Assistant, vice, idk.

I have never understood why they are called co-captains as it implies an equality with the captain. Assistant, vice, idk.
This! Pet peeve of mine. Grammatically, you can't have a "captain" and a "co-captain". Either they are both "co-captains" or one is "captain" and the other is "assistant captain".
ETA: It sounds like the OP has a" captain" and 2 "co- asst captains".

Back