All-Star Positives And Negatives Of 2011 Worlds (the Event, Not Teams)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is Orlando, Florida the only place in the United States that is attractive to the "tourist" aspect of the event?[...]

Definitely no!
Yes, for non-US teams it may be nice to get the Disney-aspect on top of worlds. But I also think that more non-US teams could afford to come if worlds weren't at Disney (due to it then being cheaper). And if you move it to the west coast I think at least for European teams it would be about the same price - higher flight costs, but cheaper due to not having "mouse tax" as someone called it. For Asian, South American,Australian and NZ teams it would probably be a tad bit cheaper or the same. There are tons of cities in the US or maybe even in Canada (if you want to go international) that have the "tourist aspect" and draw thousands of tourists to them each year, so it shouldn't be hard to find another city where you can do "touristy things" next to going to worlds.

@cassidyworsham do you mean las vegas when you say vegas? because if you are: you say you'd drive to vegas, but california was too far? sorry, but did you ever read a map? las vegas is like 50 miles away from the cali-border. So you cannot tell me that you'd make the drive to las vegas, but cali is too far! And there maybe mothers in California that were never able to see their kids compete at worlds, simply because they cannot fly for handicap reasons and that would be beyond excited to have worlds in cali.

@MrAllstar you are telling me that you wouldn't know what to do in Dallas for 2 weeks? Are you being serious? That's like going to New York and after 3 days saying that the city is boring because "you've seen it all" (as in Empire State Building, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Times Square and the other big tourist attractions).
I've lived for one year as an exchange student in South Dakota - I know, you guys may feel a little bit sorry for me now :D- and even there I haven't "seen it all" and everytime I go back to visit my US-family there are new things to do and see. So I guess in Dallas (which has like 1.5 as many people living there as SD - if you count the whole Dallas metropolitan area its even 8 times as many people as in the whole state of SD) there is more than plenty things to find to enjoy yourself for 2 weeks.

Definitely no!
Yes, for non-US teams it may be nice to get the Disney-aspect on top of worlds. But I also think that more non-US teams could afford to come if worlds weren't at Disney (due to it then being cheaper). And if you move it to the west coast I think at least for European teams it would be about the same price - higher flight costs, but cheaper due to not having "mouse tax" as someone called it. For Asian, South American,Australian and NZ teams it would probably be a tad bit cheaper or the same. There are tons of cities in the US or maybe even in Canada (if you want to go international) that have the "tourist aspect" and draw thousands of tourists to them each year, so it shouldn't be hard to find another city where you can do "touristy things" next to going to worlds.

@cassidyworsham do you mean las vegas when you say vegas? because if you are: you say you'd drive to vegas, but california was too far? sorry, but did you ever read a map? las vegas is like 50 miles away from the cali-border. So you cannot tell me that you'd make the drive to las vegas, but cali is too far! And there maybe mothers in California that were never able to see their kids compete at worlds, simply because they cannot fly for handicap reasons and that would be beyond excited to have worlds in cali.

@MrAllstar you are telling me that you wouldn't know what to do in Dallas for 2 weeks? Are you being serious? That's like going to New York and after 3 days saying that the city is boring because "you've seen it all" (as in Empire State Building, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Times Square and the other big tourist attractions).
I've lived for one year as an exchange student in South Dakota - I know, you guys may feel a little bit sorry for me now :D- and even there I haven't "seen it all" and everytime I go back to visit my US-family there are new things to do and see. So I guess in Dallas (which has like 1.5 as many people living there as SD - if you count the whole Dallas metropolitan area its even 8 times as many people as in the whole state of SD) there is more than plenty things to find to enjoy yourself for 2 weeks.

Yes, for a minute I forgot that Las Vegas was in Nevada which is not far from Cali. You kind of contradict yourself though. If you move it to Cali then the east coast mothers might not be able to see THEIR daughters perform. If you're trying to be fair than it needs to be in the middle of the US, not one side or the other. I love it in Florida for now and we all have to accept its staying there for at least a few more years.

Yes, for a minute I forgot that Las Vegas was in Nevada which is not far from Cali. You kind of contradict yourself though. If you move it to Cali then the east coast mothers might not be able to see THEIR daughters perform. If you're trying to be fair than it needs to be in the middle of the US, not one side or the other. I love it in Florida for now and we all have to accept its staying there for at least a few more years.

If you want it to be fair it should be in another place every year - and yes I know that for someone worlds is always "too far".

Definitely no!

I have to ask though when you have athletes and supporters on your team, from ages 10-52, is there really enough in dallas for them to do? I made my comment of there being not enough to after spending a week there. Florida has safe, family-capible theme parks, with free transportation. It has Sea WOLRD! and Universal stuidos for us brits and our familys coming out to support us spending about $8000 to do so, this is awesome we have nothing like this at home. If Dallas had these things we would happily compete there. But it dosn't. I don't think it matters though worlds will stay at Disney for years yet.

We have already started booking our 2012 worlds trip as we won a bid in March and it takes so much planning. It is crazy !

Back